Islander? Buck Island conflicting reports?

OC PAT

cruising for six-did you do the half or full day tour? How many of those 30 folks were from the ship? We really appreicate your report. We will be there next month. How did you get back and forth? Costs?

We did Big Beard's tour - all the info is on their web site - you can find with a quick Google search.

How was the current/waves during the snorkel trip? Wondering if it is difficult to swim around Buck Island?

There wasn't much of a current at all. The coral there is high up and we wouldn't have been able to go through as many areas of it as we did if it there were more waves or current.

cruising for six-did you do the half or full day tour? How many of those 30 folks were from the ship? We really appreicate your report. We will be there next month. How did you get back and forth? Costs?

It was a half day with capt. carl and i believe there were a couple of ships in that day because we wanted to stay a little bit longer so the cabbie dropped us off and took the other people back to the ship. we stopped in a few shops and then stopped and had a drink and an appetizer at a little place near the water. i believe capt. carl will tell you about the cab and give you all the information you need. i don't think the cab or van is very expensive. we are going back in jan .and looking for something different to do. we just got back from a fantastic western caribbean cruise in october. it is going to be hard to top some of those snorkeling tours. don't know if you are going to antigua or not but a gentleman named Glen does a fantastic snorkel with a lobster lunch on bird island. it is an all day tour with lunch. a little on the more expensive side but well worth it.

Appreciate your response. We're booked for the whole day on 12/13. We got a 730 am call on 11/13 telling us the seas were too rough to go out that day! We had a good laugh and it only made our upcoming trip seem closer. Thanks for the info on Antigua. We have been there twice and have been to Bird Island and had a blast. This time we are exploring inland and beaches with Gordon.

OC PAT

• 4 years later...
Great encouragement about the fish and coral, Peacha - thanks!! I am now a little concerned we are paying $30 r/t for a cab to get to Capt Heinz. This cab driver was recommended by Capt Heinz. Should we cancel with him and hope for a $15 r/t at the pier?

Debbie

I know this is an older post, but will help those reading this for future trips to Buck Island. I believe that Big Beards leaves out of Christiansted which is a shorter taxi ride from Frederiksted. Captain Heinz leaves from the Green Cay Marina which is about 15-20 minutes further away. I just got an independent quote from a taxi driver from the info@stcroixtaxi.com website to take us from the cruise ship pier to Green Cay Marina and he quoted me $30.00 RT per person. Hope this information helps.

Edited by tarabert