Forthose who think drinks on the cruise are overpriced...

KimtheCruiser

There's a difference in being able to afford to pay and choosing not to.

If you choose not to drink, that is your free choice. MANY people have no complaint about the cruise bar prices because they do not drink and therefore don't care what the bar prices are. And if you choose not to drink, that is fine.

I do drink and I do pay the prices that I knew and agreed to when I booked. My personal code of Honor and my refusal to ever allow myself to act in a completely immature manner preclude me ever thinking of the childishness of smuggling.

Just attended my 30-year high school reunion - a Jack and coke in a small glass with a carefully measured 1.5 ozs of alcohol was $7!! I kept thinking I could be drinking a foo-foo drink on the cruise for this amount!!

Yes but....You are not stuck at that high school reunion for 7 days drinking at the over inflated prices like you are on the cruise ship.....;)

You can always go home and have a Jack and Coke for about a buck a drink. You can always go to a local joint and have one for about $3.50....

Yep, cruise ship prices are high and if you want one some place else you can't.....:p

If you choose not to drink, that is your free choice. MANY people have no complaint about the cruise bar prices because they do not drink and therefore don't care what the bar prices are. And if you choose not to drink, that is fine.

I do drink and I do pay the prices that I knew and agreed to when I booked. My personal code of Honor and my refusal to ever allow myself to act in a completely immature manner preclude me ever thinking of the childishness of smuggling.

I say smuggle away. If your not cheating your not trying.

Next month is a Vegas trip for us where you can drink for free while gambling, or bring in booze for your room without breaking any policy

Next winter were booked at a 5 star AI. Both trips together total the cost of our last cruise with the exception of the food in Vegas. The price of the booze on CCL did not play in the decision but it doesn't hurt either.

I say smuggle away. If your not cheating your not trying.

Next month is a Vegas trip for us where you can drink for free while gambling, or bring in booze for your room without breaking any policy

Next winter were booked at a 5 star AI. Both trips together total the cost of our last cruise with the exception of the food in Vegas. The price of the booze on CCL did not play in the decision but it doesn't hurt either.

Gonna try an AI next year to. A five star above Playa Del Carmen. RT airfare/ all food in 9 restaurants/ all drinks and room supplied every day with more too....$1100....How can you go wrong.....

By the way, the room is a suite and you walk right down your steps and right into the pool off you balcony....Now that's cool.

Yes but....You are not stuck at that high school reunion for 7 days drinking at the over inflated prices like you are on the cruise ship.....;)

You can always go home and have a Jack and Coke for about a buck a drink. You can always go to a local joint and have one for about $3.50....

Yep, cruise ship prices are high and if you want one some place else you can't.....:p

Eeeexxxxactly! Well said!

I can afford to cruise. I can afford to pay for drinks. If I couldn't I would choose another vacation option. I really don't care if they are making a huge profit. I like to have a good time.

Mee too, so I profit off of bringing my own and have a good time. I paid for the porter, the cruise, the food, the waiters, the cabin personnel, my cabin, and whatever else I spend on the ship. If Carnival keeps stiffing me, then I'll have to cut back somewhere else...tips on the bar bill maybe? ;)

Gonna try an AI next year to. A five star above Playa Del Carmen. RT airfare/ all food in 9 restaurants/ all drinks and room supplied every day with more too....$1100....How can you go wrong.....

By the way, the room is a suite and you walk right down your steps and right into the pool off you balcony....Now that's cool.

Excellent find, Jeffie!!!

Nicely done. :)

Excellent find, Jeffie!!!

Nicely done. :)

Thanks Don....cruise lines are starting to price themself out of the ballpark on the extras....I will try something new next and see what I think....As much as I love to cruise it is getting to the point it is no longer as good a deal as it used to be. Also, every time you turn around they are restricting something else......:(

I live in Savannah, GA and drink prices here run the gamut. After visiting places like NYC and Las Vegas the cruise line prices are right on with the prices there (besides the free drinks in Vegas, if you get a drink and actually pay for it you will be paying upwards $6+ a beer).

With this being said, I wish Carnival did some sort of happy hour. If they would run half price drinks for a couple hours it would make the whole situation a little more tolerable.

Do you remember what caliber the gun was that the cruiseline held to your head and made you book a cruise so you'd be stuck there paying their booze prices.

YOU made a choice. Whatever benefits or problems come with your choice, it is still your own free choice. No rationalizations of that very simple fact are valid.

I bought a Crown and diet coke on my cruise. It cost me $13.50. The same drink with more alcohol costs around $9 at home.

I stuck to Malibu and pineapple juice after that....

Any bar Canadian blend and Crown taste exactly the same when mixed with Coke.

It all seems pretty simple to me. You know in advance what the prices are like. And they are in the low middle range of upscale, resort, prices. So you know what the tariff is. If you're too poor to pay the tariff, don't go wherever it is that you cannot afford to go.

Excellent, Dan. And so friggin' simple. Reminds me of Newt's statement on the Fannie Mae mess . . . "If you can't afford to buy the house . . . DON'T buy it" :rolleyes:

I'm no longer a heavy drinker, but I find the drink prices on cruise ships quite reasonable. Maybe that's because I'm from So Cal where almost any upscale bar would charge MORE than Carnival.

A couple of years ago, on this forum, a lady from a small berg somewhere in mid Canada was complaining about Carnival charging her $10 for a DOUBLE SHOT of Canadian Club ! ! :confused: It depends on where you're from sometimes and what constitutes an "upscale" bar. :D

NOW you tell me! ;)

Smoothness and 'lightness' are the mainstays of Canadian blends from bar well brands up to the top shelf. Add in the carbonation and sweetness of Coke and the extra smoothness and lightness of the top brands is lost.

Not true with some rums as some have very different and distinct flavors.

And not true with Scotch. Anyone mixing Coke with Scotch should be taken out and shot. It would be a Darwinian benefit!:D:D

Thanks Don....cruise lines are starting to price themself out of the ballpark on the extras....I will try something new next and see what I think....As much as I love to cruise it is getting to the point it is no longer as good a deal as it used to be. Also, every time you turn around they are restricting something else......:(

After I've cruised 26 times like you have, I might try something else, too. Till then, it's still true that what gets me onto a cruise ship is the chance to be out on the ocean - which is something you get no matter how much or how little you pay, or which cruise line you're sailing on. And that experience just can't be duplicated by any land resort, even a beach one.

Cruising isn't "as good a deal as it used to be"? My first cruise in 1991 cost us $2100 apiece, without air. My last six cruises have cost less than half that, and all had better food and service. If a cruise is no longer a "good deal" because it costs $100 more than you thought it should or $75 more than it did last year (last month/week/day before yesterday), then we just have different ideas about what constitutes a good deal.

I live in Chicago so the drink prices on ship are lower than what I usually pay. I went to the Cubs game yesterday, and a Bud Light was $6.75.

same beer, only at the Trop for a Rays game, 9$. Same for the forum for the Lightning games.

I don't drink at the games for that reason. :eek::eek:

Archived