"On Request" Dining

rkaratsu

Doug, Terry and Observer, Your comments about special dining resonate! This is why I'm unhappy about Ducttapes special breakfast. I wouldn't dream of asking for something like that even if I had a zillion days on board. Needs are one thing desires are another. SS does a great job and if it isn't a need why should one expect special service. The crew works hard enough as it is. Terry if the Hotel Director or the Maitre'D specifically suggested this spread I will be mollified about one event. On the other hand, if it came from your group, I still feel it inappropriate to the crew and the other passengers. I believe that big requests should not be anything other than a need. Doug's comment about caviar are exhibit one!

I think this is a misunderstanding. "Ducktape's breakfast" was not exactly that. We were not present, but it is clear that this was a Cruise Critic get-together that Silversea agreed to host. Ductape is a wonderful person but I know from personal experience SS will do whatever they can for any guest, regardless of nights, suite, etc. We have had similar get-togethers on board.

This is simply a matter of common sense and coutesy. Do you order a turducken for two? Of course not. Ridiculous. Do you ask, politely, if the chef has a veal chop on board that can be prepared in such-and-such a way? Sure, if that is what you want (and if you give him time to defrost it. . . .remember, you are in the middle of the ocean, and he cannot just run down to the local market.) Do you ask for mashed potatoes when the regular menu offers potatoes Dauphine Potatoes ? Why not? Do you order four lobster tails and only eat one? Ask your mother =)

newlondon. FYI it was NOT my idea. It got complicated and it was the HDs idea, over my protests! My last thought on the line is to make extra work for the crew.

The crew is your family, isn't it? We feel the same way.

I think this is a misunderstanding. "Ducktape's breakfast" was not exactly that. We were not present, but it is clear that this was a Cruise Critic get-together that Silversea agreed to host. Ductape is a wonderful person but I know from personal experience SS will do whatever they can for any guest, regardless of nights, suite, etc. We have had similar get-togethers on board.

YES, agree, it was a Cruise Critic get-together and that duct tape is wonderful. I was there! Sitting right next to duck tape. As a first-timer on Silversea, my impression is that the staff really likes to do well and show-off a little bit on how well they can do things. Agree that you don't want to be excessive or over-the-top in your "demands" from the staff. BUT, when they can work things out, it's enjoyable for them to go above and beyond. On a longer cruise, like this one at 15-days, it is easier to work out those types of things.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Archived