Help cruise terminal Venice

Can anyone help Booked Splendour of the sea this coming Nov [ 6th ] staying 2 nights prior to cruise in Venice. I need to pre book 2 transfers

Airport -- hotel [+ return cruise terminal -- Airport ] the return is the most important

There is no problem coming in eg Airport -- hotel .[ Hotel --to port this can be booked while at hotel if need be ] ,The cruise terminal ?. there seems to be a number of berths that RCI use . Going by the net and in fact on a trip around the Grand canal a few years ago we have seen this for ourselves To pre book the return to airport they ask for the cruise terminal , but there are a number of site’s for Venice in the box ,you have to click on one for your pick up ?..:confused:

THOMSON DESTINY SEPT 2007 MED

THOMSON EMERALD JUNE2008 GREEK ISLANDS

THOMSON DESTINY JAN 2009 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DESTINY JULY 2009 MED

THOMSON DETINY JAN 2010 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DREAM SEPT 2010 MED

RCI SPLENDER IF THE SEA NOV 2010 [Venice ] Greeks etc

P&O OCEANA FEB 2011 PANAMA CANAL.

Can anyone help Booked Splendour of the sea this coming Nov [ 6th ] staying 2 nights prior to cruise in Venice. I need to pre book 2 transfers

Airport -- hotel [+ return cruise terminal -- Airport ] the return is the most important

There is no problem coming in eg Airport -- hotel .[ Hotel --to port this can be booked while at hotel if need be ] ,The cruise terminal ?. there seems to be a number of berths that RCI use . Going by the net and in fact on a trip around the Grand canal a few years ago we have seen this for ourselves To pre book the return to airport they ask for the cruise terminal , but there are a number of site’s for Venice in the box ,you have to click on one for your pick up ?..:confused:

We sailed on Splendour out of Venice in May this year. Depending on where your hotel is, you may consider the free shuttle to the terminal that is offered out of the bus terminal (Piazalle Roma).

For the return trip, there are plenty of taxis available at the pier once you disembark. It should be the Marittima terminal, I believe.

By the way, if you meet Ricardo Yugulis, an assistant server onboard - tell him Christine & Chris from Ohio (from the group with Patty, Anne, Joannie, etc.) say hello! He is AWESOME and truly the prime example of RCCL's 5* service.

From the RCI website when I put in the search box......"Where is the port in Venice".

Venice, Italy

Venezia Martittima

Port of Venice

Directions:

From Marco Polo Airport:

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Follow blue traffic signs indicating Venezia con_bulletgray_ico.gif At the end of the bridge on the lagoon "Ponte della Liberta," which connects the mainland with Venice, stay in the right lane and turn right at the traffic light. con_bulletgray_ico.gif At the end of the road there is a STOP sign: proceed straight through to the Port Security gate for entry. con_bulletgray_ico.gif . You may be asked to present your cruise ticket booklet for entry. con_bulletgray_ico.gif Proceed to the luggage drop off area just beyond the gate and then to the terminal.

Parking:

Long term parking not available

Airport Information:

Marco Polo Airport (VCE)

10 miles to pier, approximate driving time 30 minutes.

Airport Transportation: Car Rentals, Taxis and Water Taxis are available for hire.

Pier Terminal: Venezia Martittima - Terminal Passeggeri

The easiest way is to get to the Piazzale Roma and get the free shuttle. You can't not find the P.Roma. If you come into Venice on a bus or taxi that's where it goes.

If you come into Macro Polo, get the express bus into Venice and walk 20 yards to the shuttle.

There is a new "people mover" that goes from P. Roma to the Martittima, but it seems to end up a fair walk from the actual dock - not sure if this is intended to eventually replace the shuttles?? Has anyone used it yet?

Our first cruise was on Splendour from Venice. A great way to start. It is hard to beat the sail away from Venice.

I substantially echo the thoughts expressed above. For what it's worth, I think a land taxi is the best way to get to and from the port. We stayed on the mainland near the airport pre-cruise and got a land taxi from our hotel right to the port with no problem at all. We shared with another couple, so the price was very reasonable and it is hard to beat the convenience. Dropped us off right at the door to the terminal. Unfortunately, many places in the old city of Venice are not accessible to land taxis so you have to get to a place that is -- like Piazzale Roma. Avoid water taxis like the plague. They are outrageuosly expensive even for short trips. The water bus [or Vaporetto] on the other hand is fairly reasonable. If you are wanting to do some touring while en route to or from the port, there is a "left luggage" facility at the Piazzale Roma where you can store your bags for a while. We had 12 hours or so after dissembarking before we needed to be at the airport, so we stored our luggage and spent another day in Venice.

I am curious about the people mover if anyone has used it I would be interested in a report. I think there is alos a new bridge across the canal from the train station to the Piazzale Roma. If that is true and it has no [or at least fewer] steps, it will make arrival by train with luggage a whole lot easier.

By the way. We also cruised Splendour in November. The weather was not a factor for us. A light jacket was fine with the exception of the day we were in Kusadasi. That day was warm enough I left my jacket on the bus most of the afternoon. I wouldn't expect to spend much time on the beach, but that is not why we booked the cruise in the first place. Splendour has an enclosed solarium, so you will have access to the pool if you want. The only downside was some things in Santorini and Corfu [eg. dive shops and glass bottom boat rides] were closed for the season. But all told, we were pleased with the November cruise.

I think there is alos a new bridge across the canal from the train station to the Piazzale Roma. If that is true and it has no [or at least fewer] steps, it will make arrival by train with luggage a whole lot easier.

Yes there is a new bridge from the train station to Piazzale Roma. It has just as many steps since it's a big bridge crossing the Grand Canal. The bridge is made of steel and has glass steps so it is VERY slippery in the rain. We discovered this bridge and its slickness by accident when we were trying to make our way to our hotel and headed out the wrong way in the rain.

We were in Venice in October. RCCL had a bus running from the pier to Piazzale Roma. It dropped us off right beside the Santa Chiarra Hotel. As we had booked a room there it was perfect for us. To get to Marco Polo there is a bus that leaves from the south side of the plazza. Just look for the signs. You can buy tickets in advance from a little office beside the Carribinieri office on the west side or from the driver when you board.

You'll love Venice.

Yes there is a new bridge from the train station to Piazzale Roma. It has just as many steps since it's a big bridge crossing the Grand Canal. The bridge is made of steel and has glass steps so it is VERY slippery in the rain. We discovered this bridge and its slickness by accident when we were trying to make our way to our hotel and headed out the wrong way in the rain.

You are correct that there appear to be as many steps. Here is a picture I found

36002539.jpg

However, it doesn't look to me like the steps are as high or the bridge as steep as the old marble bridge. Here is a picture of the top of the old bridge.

34654931.jpg

At least it is a direct link to the Piazzale Roma whereas the old marble bridge is in the opposite direction requiring you to back track, and I think cross at least one or two more bridges. I have no doubts about the slickness in the rain, but if the weather was reasonable, I wouldn't hesitate to try walking from the train station to the Piazzale Roma.

Almost all the ships dock at the terminal that is next to the P. Roma. I have not been there since last fall. The 'people mover' was not working yet. There is a shuttle bus from the P. Roma to the ship terminal and there are lots of taxis that will take you from the P. Roma to the terminal.

There is another dock that RCL uses, approx 100 yards from the bottom of St. Marks Sq. On my last voyage, we docked in Venice for an overnight in the middle of our Brilliance OTS cruise. At 5:30 am the ship moved up to the main terminal. Most of us did not realize this would happen until after we got on the ship at the beginning of the cruise.

From the main dock area, the P. Roma is easy to get to by foot or taxi. The train station is on the other side of the canal. The new bridge is nice. The steps are not steep, but they can be slippery. It is a fairly easy walk from the train station to the P. Roma.

Thanks for the replies, We are staying on the main land

in the Mestre area 2 nights hotel Delfino pre Cruise we arrive Venice around 10 am 4th Nov so should be able to have a good look around before we start our cruise , it's not our first time to Venice, but

there is so much more we want to see.

==========================

THOMSON DESTINY SEPT 2007 MED

THOMSON EMERALD JUNE2008 GREEK ISLANDS

THOMSON DESTINY JAN 2009 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DESTINY JULY 2009 MED

THOMSON DETINY JAN 2010 CARIBBEAN

THOMSON DREAM SEPT 2010 MED

RCI SPLENDER IF THE SEA NOV 2010 [Venice ] Greece etc

P&O OCEANA FEB 2011 PANAMA CANAL.

Archived