those island hair braids

arc918

After cruising last week, an unscientific study by the 30+ people in our group revealed the following:

a full head of braids looked good on roughly 0% of the people on our cruise

YMMV, but I'd suggest just getting a couple braids instead of the entire head

After cruising last week, an unscientific study by the 30+ people in our group revealed the following:

a full head of braids looked good on roughly 0% of the people on our cruise

YMMV, but I'd suggest just getting a couple braids instead of the entire head

The braids ONLY looked good on Bo Derek in 10 and that was 20 or so years ago.Jack Sparrow looks good with only a couple!

DD and I did the front only and it looked okay. I don't think it's hugely flattering, but it looked fine and I didn't have to fix my hair or her hair for the whole week!

Full head of braids looks strange on most people.

I agree! It might look cute on a little girl but on an adult, no! Not even the half head look is a good one. And make sure you if are going to have this done, to take your own comb!!!!!!

and use sun screen between those braids because those parts of your head that haven't seen the sun.....:eek:

and use sun screen between those braids because those parts of your head that haven't seen the sun.....:eek:

I think that's a big part of the problem - there was one little girl who did her entire head - lots of white scalp against the dark braids - sunburn looking for a place to happen to be sure

The braids ONLY looked good on Bo Derek in 10 and that was 20 or so years ago.Jack Sparrow looks good with only a couple!

Bo Derek's braids in "10" was more like 30+ years ago (1979). I know, hard to believe and deal with, but true. :D

I've seen people with full heads or even just the front half and I just don't think it looks good on most people. I agree that just a couple in the front are the way to go.

On our cruise on the Freedom last summer, there was a comedian on board the same night we stopped in Ocho Rios. He did a bit on the women/girls who get their hair braided when in port. Hysterical. I still chuckle when I think about that, but all the women in the audience who had their hair braided that day were sinking in their chairs a little.

Braids can be very beautiful and very artistic (especially the entire head) if done correctly.

I am African-American and my granddaughters have very thick long hair and gets their hair braided with a few beads integrated...looks great.

I believe it is more of a culture issue (no Bo Derek).

Now I don't like the dread-locks (my sister-in-law and brother-in-law) looks like Bob Marley twins.

Again, if the braids are created with more of an artistic approach (vs. just straight braids in rows), they are beautiful. They can be made into pin up styles, ponytails, etc.

Just my opinion.

Braids can be very beautiful and very artistic (especially the entire head) if done correctly.

I am African-American and my granddaughters have very thick long hair and gets their hair braided with a few beads integrated...looks great.

I believe it is more of a culture issue (no Bo Derek).

Now I don't like the dread-locks (my sister-in-law and brother-in-law) looks like Bob Marley twins.

Again, if the braids are created with more of an artistic approach (vs. just straight braids in rows), they are beautiful. They can be made into pin up styles, ponytails, etc.

Just my opinion.

Amen to your comments. I know a lot of people with wonderful styles of braids that look great. Cultural thing for sure.

I did it once and never again. I just got 3 done on each side of my head. My hair is very fine and I thought I would never get them out. It took forever and really damaged my hair. Just glad I didn't get my whole head done. I'd still be working on getting them out. Maybe there's a trick to it that I didn't know but I think it was the fine hair that was the problem.

So just a thought for those who are thinking about it.

To each his/her own. Those braiders chase me through the streets! I have waist length hair. Fine but lots of it. I figure they must charge by the inch since they never take no for an answer. They will never get their hands (or vermin) on my hair. :eek: They look sorta cute on the tots but IMO they look silly on a grown up ....

Archived