Is renting snorkels sanitary?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with chasm4u and klfrodo. I have never used my own snokeling gear. To me it is a waste of money, because they always provide it for free the places I have gone. I am not a germophobe though...far from it. I have way too many nieces and nehews to worry about germs!

I just purchased "dry" snorkels in the clearance aisle at Walmart for $7. I would like to have our own masks as well and hopefully find them somewhere on sale too. I bought mask/snorkel sets at a sporting goods store previously but the masks don't fit well. Anyone have any tips on sizing the masks before purchase? The sales person told us to breathe in through our nose and if the mask sealed then it fit - but once we got in the water, both mine and my daughter's leaked no matter how we adjusted them.

for you lucky americans, you can buy snorkels off of amazon.com for $29.95 that is a 100% dry...so i would buy that instead of renting, since it costs $5 each time on each beach/excursion....

I just saw that last night! I should have bought them earlier in the summer so the kids could practice in the pool! :D

I will never forget the day that our family snorkeled with the sting rays in the Bahamas. We donned our gear provided, which came out of a 55 gallon drum filled with neon green liquid. My 12 year old daughter (missing that "filter between the brain and the mouth") shrieked "OMG, I'm not using THAT. NO WAY I'm putting THAT in MY mouth." Once we calmed her down and talked her into it, she wasn't in the water for more than five minutes when two sting rays started sucking on her outer thigh. She could have been walking on water, as fast as she booked out of there. She threw the gear into that drum and announced to all (at least a dozen or more) onlookers that they should have their heads examined for #1, PUTTING THAT NASTY STUFF IN THEIR MOUTHS, and #2, SWIMMING WITH THOSE GROSS LEG SUCKING MONSTERS. Sorry to say that a few of those folks turned on their heels and decided to find something else to do while in port.

Still gives me chuckles when I think about it and it was 9 years ago. She isn't a germophobe, but obviously she thinks she knows "gross" when she sees it.

The 3 remaining family members took our sweet time enjoying the experience. We didn't get sick, but I must admit, I thought about it before, during and after.

If I were to snorkel again, I'd bring my own mouthpiece. I have no idea what that neon green liquid was but there is no quarantee anywhere that says the mouthpiece you are renting is contaminate free.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

She had "hickeys" (stingray kisses) on her legs for days.

Some souveniers money just can't buy... :p

Sounds like I am headed to the store to buy our own gear. The thought of putting the same equipment in my mouth that someone else had in theirs with only the cleaning of a rag, grosses me out! I had thought about this ever since I booked our first cruise (May 2011)! Thanks for the info.

... to think of the things we put in our mouths behind closed doors with our partners/lovers :eek: and we want to worry about a snorkle mouth piece? :confused:

So next time you're giving your partner 'special' kisses... don't forget to bleach it first! LMAO

People will swap spit with other people directly ON their mouth (and worse!! :p ) but freak out about using a mouth peice that was soaked in soapy water?? Did you know that at the bar, the glasses, yes the ones you drink out of, are dipped in soapy water and then dipped in unsoapy water (which eventually gets kinda soapy) and then your drink is poured in it...

Even the CDC advises washing hands with soap and water and only use those antibacterial gels when you don't have access to soap and water.

So really, get over it. Germs are not ALL bad!

So next time you're giving your partner 'special' kisses... don't forget to bleach it first! LMAO

People will swap spit with other people directly ON their mouth (and worse!! :p ) but freak out about using a mouth peice that was soaked in soapy water?? Did you know that at the bar, the glasses, yes the ones you drink out of, are dipped in soapy water and then dipped in unsoapy water (which eventually gets kinda soapy) and then your drink is poured in it...

Even the CDC advises washing hands with soap and water and only use those antibacterial gels when you don't have access to soap and water.

So really, get over it. Germs are not ALL bad!

There is a difference between using a community snorkel and community glasses in a restaurant. The risk of receiving an infection from a community snorkel is much higher. I have never heard of a dentist suggesting people refrain from using glasses at restaurants, but have heard multiple advise not to use a community snorkel during a shore excursion. I also do not know anybody who has ever become ill from using a glass at a restaurant (despite everybody I know doing this on a regular basis). I do know somebody who developed a bad infection after using a snorkel on a shore excursion (despite not knowing a whole lot of people who have done this). I think it is prudent to spend the $20 or so and obtain one's own snorkel. If you forget or don't care to, the risk of becoming sick is fortunately low, but there is a risk; IMHO it is best to neutralize the risk as it is easy to do so.

It may help you to know that the US Public Health Service has specific procedures that cruise ships must use for sanitizing rental/loan snorkeling equipment.

The equipment must be "super-chlorinated" after each use, in the same way that pools, jacuzzis, and cabin shower heads are sanitized.

Each piece must be submerged in a very powerful chlorine bleach solution for 30 minutes after use.

The people in charge must maintain logs of the chlorination, with concentrations and durations listed.

When the ship has it's bi-annual USPH Inspection, the Inspectors carefully go through these logs to ensure proper action.

Any discrepancies result in points taken on the score, and the deficiencies published on the CDC website.

The guilty party is usually terminated.

There is a difference between using a community snorkel and community glasses in a restaurant. The risk of receiving an infection from a community snorkel is much higher. I have never heard of a dentist suggesting people refrain from using glasses at restaurants, but have heard multiple advise not to use a community snorkel during a shore excursion. I also do not know anybody who has ever become ill from using a glass at a restaurant (despite everybody I know doing this on a regular basis). I do know somebody who developed a bad infection after using a snorkel on a shore excursion (despite not knowing a whole lot of people who have done this). I think it is prudent to spend the $20 or so and obtain one's own snorkel. If you forget or don't care to, the risk of becoming sick is fortunately low, but there is a risk; IMHO it is best to neutralize the risk as it is easy to do so.

I guess you've never gotten a glass with lipstick on it... that wasn't yours. :cool:

I've never heard that you shouldn't use the equipment provided on snorkel trips except by people who have nothing to do with the snorkel business. I'll a have to mention this to my dentist... ;)

It may help you to know that the US Public Health Service has specific procedures that cruise ships must use for sanitizing rental/loan snorkeling equipment.

The equipment must be "super-chlorinated" after each use, in the same way that pools, jacuzzis, and cabin shower heads are sanitized.

I have never heard of someone obtaining the equipment from the cruise line. I have always seen people using snorkels from shore excursions vendors and these vendors would have zero obligation to abide by US Public Health Service procedures.

I guess you've never gotten a glass with lipstick on it... that wasn't yours. :cool:

I do not recall stating that. I said that I have never heard of anybody becoming ill due to using glasses at a restaurant and nor have I ever heard of any medical professionals advising people to BYOG (bring your own glasses) when going out to eat. There are myriad of reports of people developing nasty infections after using a rental snorkel and it is common for medical professionals to advise against using a community snorkel.

Strange, I did google the subject and all I've found so far is two diving sites (I only went as far a page two*) that say disease transmission from shared snorkle equipment is unlikely... and a load of 'personal' experiences claiming the opposite. Unless you swabbed the mouth peice and took a culture from your friend, you can't claim they contracted a disease from using that mouth peice.

Now if a person is skeeved out by the thought of using a used mouth peice, there's nothing wrong with that - to each their own. But to make claims that you will get some crazy disease from them and that they aren't cleaned...well, some dive companies would call that slander unless you have real proof. Which I seriously doubt you do. :)

I know they SAY they've been sanitized, but every time I've been on any kind of trip, I've never seen any evidence of any cleaning products. I just feel more comfortable KNOWING what I'm using.

know what you mean. other countries standards of clean/disinfecting may not be like our own. i always bring my gear if i plan on snorkeling.

Now if a person is skeeved out by the thought of using a used mouth peice, there's nothing wrong with that - to each their own. But to make claims that you will get some crazy disease from them and that they aren't cleaned...well, some dive companies would call that slander unless you have real proof. Which I seriously doubt you do. :)

Apparently the only way you seem to be able to make a point is by completely twisting and distorting what I say. I am not even going to attempt to respond to your wild claims.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been on one cruise before (but very excited that in 46 days, I can say I've been on 2 hehe). I rented snorkel equipment for the excursion and wound up with pink eye and strep throat... I highly doubt this was a coincidence. Needless to say, I'm bringing my own snorkel equipment this time around!!

Does anyone have a good suggestion of a decent inexpensive set (mask, mouthpiece, fins) that I can buy online? Nothing fancy necessary as I'll probably only use it 2 or 3 times, but hopefully also nothing that will take up half my suitcase either :)

Archived