Days Inn Glen Burnie, Glen Burnie, MD

scwhiner

Can anyone provide any info on this location in Maryland? We aren't cruising until next May, but trying to do a bit of research before hand and I'm hesitating because of the price. It's 77 plus tax, non refundable, but has the shuttle to and from the cruise port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I've never stayed there, but I really should have whoever wrote up their web site to do my resume!

There's nothing special about the location; it's on a fairly busy 4 lane highway. It's right across the street from the main MVA (i.e. DMV) building.

There's nothing to do right there, but there's lots of stuff to do if you have a car.

Aloha,

John

I've never stayed there, but I really should have whoever wrote up their web site to do my resume!

There's nothing special about the location; it's on a fairly busy 4 lane highway. It's right across the street from the main MVA (i.e. DMV) building.

There's nothing to do right there, but there's lots of stuff to do if you have a car.

Aloha,

John

Thanks John --- yes, we'll have our car so we're not too concerned about having to drive somewhere to check out the sights. I haven't done the maps yet -- how far is it to the cruise port?

• 1 month later...

Was looking for someone that used the Cruise/ Park Package at the Day's Inn.

How far is this hotel from the Inner Harbor area?

They do have a shuttle that takes you to the Inner Harbor but it's a one shot deal, taking you there at 9am and picking you up at 7pm. We would never make the 9am one. Might be able to use the 7pm return shuttle though.

Wondering what a taxi would cost to and from this hotel to the inner harbor?

There is somekind of rail line that runs nearby, maybe in to the Inner Harbor area that would be the fastest way possible. Any know that area?

Admiral Fell Inn recently had a not so good review on Tripadvisor, giving me second thoughts on that hotel. Check it out if you have time?

Jimbo:)

Hi Jimbo...post #4 says it's 6.41 miles from the terminal....about 7 miles to the Inner Harbor (I used 1 East Pratt St. on Mapquest).

I don't think the light rail runs close the hotel, but even if it does, you would still have to catch a taxi or some other transportation to the terminal. Your light rail stop for the cruise terminal would be at Camden Yards.

From a shuttle to the Inner Harbor, you would still have to taxi it to the terminal.

Taxi from the hotel may be $15-20 or so, which is a wild guess.

I had dinner near the Admiral Fell Inn last week and the hotel always seems to be bustling with people. ;)

Hi Jimbo...post #4 says it's 6.41 miles from the terminal....about 7 miles to the Inner Harbor (I used 1 East Pratt St. on Mapquest).

I don't think the light rail runs close the hotel, but even if it does, you would still have to catch a taxi or some other transportation to the terminal. Your light rail stop for the cruise terminal would be at Camden Yards.

From a shuttle to the Inner Harbor, you would still have to taxi it to the terminal.

Taxi from the hotel may be $15-20 or so, which is a wild guess.

I had dinner near the Admiral Fell Inn last week and the hotel always seems to be bustling with people. ;)

The hotel package has a free shuttle to / from the cruise terminal. Wasn't using the light rail for that.

Wanted to use the light rail for going into the Inner harbor area once we arrive at the hotel. Didn't want to drive into town, rather use a shuttle from the hotel(only offered at 9am though by the hotel, not a option we will be arriving later then that)

We will have a car so it looks like the closest light rail station(also has 750 free parking spaces) is the Cromwell Station which is about 2 or 3 miles from the hotel toward where the airport is. WE can jump on the rail there and get off at Pratt Street near the convention center.

Unsure of cost of the train tickets round trip per person? Has to be less money then driving into the inner harbor and parking there.

Is that a safe area to be walking in at night between Pratt Street Station and the inner harbor?

The hotel package has a free shuttle to / from the cruise terminal. Wasn't using the light rail for that.

Wanted to use the light rail for going into the Inner harbor area once we arrive at the hotel. Didn't want to drive into town, rather use a shuttle from the hotel(only offered at 9am though by the hotel, not a option we will be arriving later then that)

We will have a car so it looks like the closest light rail station(also has 750 free parking spaces) is the Cromwell Station which is about 2 or 3 miles from the hotel toward where the airport is. WE can jump on the rail there and get off at Pratt Street near the convention center.

Unsure of cost of the train tickets round trip per person? Has to be less money then driving into the inner harbor and parking there.

Is that a safe area to be walking in at night between Pratt Street Station and the inner harbor?

OK Jimbo...sounds like a plan. Here's a link for the rates...$1.60 one way, definitely less expensive than parking at the Inner Harbor, which would average about $15/day or so. I've only been on the light rail once.

http://mta.maryland.gov/services/lightrail/fares/

Yes, the walk will be safe, especially if there's a convention in town. Now, if it's really late, I don't think I would use any public transportation in any urban area (well, perhaps Manhattan) close to midnight or later. Walk east on Pratt Street 4-5 blocks until you get to Light Street and the Inner Harbor/Harborplace will be right in front of you. ;)

I am not at all familiar with the Cromwell Station light rail stop.

OK Jimbo...sounds like a plan. Here's a link for the rates...$1.60 one way, definitely less expensive than parking at the Inner Harbor, which would average about $15/day or so. I've only been on the light rail once.

http://mta.maryland.gov/services/lightrail/fares/

Yes, the walk will be safe, especially if there's a convention in town. Now, if it's really late, I don't think I would use any public transportation in any urban area (well, perhaps Manhattan) close to midnight or later. Walk east on Pratt Street 4-5 blocks until you get to Light Street and the Inner Harbor/Harborplace will be right in front of you. ;)

I am not at all familiar with the Cromwell Station light rail stop.

Thanks for the link, looks like it would be $3.50 per person for a day pass, for either on the trains or the buses.

The hotel is a $100.00 so it should work out okay I think. Leaving the car there for 10 days plus a shuttle rides to the port and back.

>>Is that a safe area to be walking in at night between Pratt Street Station and the inner harbor?

Another option is get off the Light rail at the Camden Yards stop. From there, you can walk down Conway St. to the Inner Harbor. It's a better option if you want to go to the Science Museum.

Also, if you're into sports, you will be right at Oriole Park; you can get a good view of the field if there isn't a game that day. There is also a sports museum in the old Camden Train Station.

There's a lot of things to do in the city. have fun planning!

Aloha,

John

>>Is that a safe area to be walking in at night between Pratt Street Station and the inner harbor?

Another option is get off the Light rail at the Camden Yards stop. From there, you can walk down Conway St. to the Inner Harbor. It's a better option if you want to go to the Science Museum.

Also, if you're into sports, you will be right at Oriole Park; you can get a good view of the field if there isn't a game that day. There is also a sports museum in the old Camden Train Station.

There's a lot of things to do in the city. have fun planning!

Aloha,

John

Any suggestions for a good restaurant with good seafood or crab cakes? Which would be close to one of those stops on the Light rail either between the Cromwell and Pratt or in the Inner Harbor area?

Well, Jimbo, imo, the best seafood won't be found at Harborplace, for sure. Lots of tourists flock to Phillips, but no one I know would. IMO, Phillips is like the Mickey D's of seafood. It's a Maryland institution that started in Ocean City, MD.

There's a McCormick & Schmick in Harborplace, which I would recommend over Phillips any day, but that's not saying much.

In this link choose "Seafood" and "Inner Harbor". Out of the 4, I'd probably pick McCormick & Schmick. Friends have been to Watertable and voted no and it's been over 10 years since I've been to the Rusty Scupper, which has changed ownership several times, so it may be wonderful now, I honestly don't know. The view from the Rusty Scupper is fantastic.

http://baltimore.org/dining-and-nightlife/

Again, my opinion, (DH would agree) but if you want really good, super fresh seafood, Oceanaire in Harbor East is the place to go. ;) It's pricey. The bar area has it's own menu with reduced prices. It's a short taxi ride from the Inner Harbor. If the weather's nice, it's a great walk.

http://www.theoceanaire.com/locations/baltimore

Jimbo, just thought of this. :rolleyes:

Since you'll be in Glen Burnie, which is not far from Linthicum Heights, G&M has fabulous crab cakes. The ambience leaves a lot to be desired, but for a quick, easy, inexpensive (crab anything is always rather expensive) bite to eat, drive over to G&M.

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/g-and-m-restaurant-and-carry-out-linthicum-heights

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/food-and-dining/2009/07/crab-ilicious

According to Google maps, G&M is about 4 miles from your hotel. ;)

Jimbo, just thought of this. :rolleyes:

Since you'll be in Glen Burnie, which is not far from Linthicum Heights, G&M has fabulous crab cakes. The ambience leaves a lot to be desired, but for a quick, easy, inexpensive (crab anything is always rather expensive) bite to eat, drive over to G&M.

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

http://www.yelp.com/biz/g-and-m-restaurant-and-carry-out-linthicum-heights

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/food-and-dining/2009/07/crab-ilicious

According to Google maps, G&M is about 4 miles from your hotel. ;)

Looks like a good option, anyone else have any other suggestions?

You could try sleep123.com for park n cruise hotels' also 1/2price coupons on some great resturants by the harbor. It's really alive Fri and Sat nights

The hotels they use have not so good reviews otherwise I would consider that site to reserve something.

• 2 weeks later...

If the OP is still out there . . . I would not recommend using the Light Rail after dark, as it passes through an undesirable area on its way between downtown and Cromwell Station. The exception is if it's a night when the Orioles are in town; the trains are very well used when the games let out. Otherwise, I'd suggest ending your downtown visit with an early-ish dinner, then head on out. Or, perhaps better, ride out with the commuter crowds and then have dinner after you get back to Cromwell Station.

Speaking of that . . . the parking lot at Cromwell Station does not typically fill up, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting a spot. Be sure and buy your ticket at the vending machine at the platform BEFORE boarding the train. There is no on-board fare collection; tickets are randomly checked by inspectors.

Bus Man,

These are the Light Rail fares

Light Rail Fares

• One-way fare $1.60, or 1 token (MTA will continue to accept tokens until conversion to new fare boxes)
  • Day Passes, which entitle you to unlimited rides on Baltimore Buses, Light Rail, or Metro Subway are $3.50

The area you mentioned (Pratt St. eastbound from Light Rail to Inner Harbor) is generally quite safe.

An alternative is the Camden Yards stop (just before Pratt St.). It is a direct walk east from there via Conway Street to the Inner Harbor Visitor Center. It is about a three block walk, but they are longer than normal residential blocks. As safe as your other choice in my opinion.

Bus Man,

These are the Light Rail fares

Light Rail Fares

• One-way fare $1.60, or 1 token (MTA will continue to accept tokens until conversion to new fare boxes)
  • Day Passes, which entitle you to unlimited rides on Baltimore Buses, Light Rail, or Metro Subway are $3.50

The area you mentioned (Pratt St. eastbound from Light Rail to Inner Harbor) is generally quite safe.

An alternative is the Camden Yards stop (just before Pratt St.). It is a direct walk east from there via Conway Street to the Inner Harbor Visitor Center. It is about a three block walk, but they are longer than normal residential blocks. As safe as your other choice in my opinion.

Not sure why you addressed this to me, as I am not the OP. I agree with you that the Pratt Street/Inner Harbor area is generally safe; my remark about lack of safety had to do with the Light Rail route between downtown and Cromwell Station.

Not sure why you addressed this to me, as I am not the OP. I agree with you that the Pratt Street/Inner Harbor area is generally safe; my remark about lack of safety had to do with the Light Rail route between downtown and Cromwell Station.

Just a technical glitch, BusMan. I wanted to copy Jimbo's quote [the message was meant for him]. But I tried to quote it from the area above your post, and that is where I mistakenly picked up your nom de plume instead of his.

Just a technical glitch, BusMan. I wanted to copy Jimbo's quote [the message was meant for him]. But I tried to quote it from the area above your post, and that is where I mistakenly picked up your nom de plume instead of his.

Leaning back toward Admiral Fell's End < better location I guess. It is about $80 more for the package, but I guess it would be well spent.

Would not have to deal with the train system when staying at that hotel.

Archived