Spirit questions

well its only 8 days till we fly to corfu to board the spirit and although sailed on her 2 years ago it was our first cruise and there was a lot of things we didnt do that we will do this time now we are more confident. anyway here goes with the questions. In the Compass Rose (we only ate in Lido last time) is it waiter service and do you have a choice of main meals? How good is the captains night is it worth the hassle of hubby taking a dinner suit? Do they still do the intro to the crew talk and do they do the ships tour with a visit to the bridge? We havent prebooked cabins but will be on decks 3/4 as paid the suppliment (there are 4 of us so 2 cabins) are we likely to have the 2 cabins close together, has anyone ever had a free upgrade (we are inside although only sleep there and go to bed no earlier than 2am) thanks for your help also anyone coming with us? if so are you excited have already got my evening outfits hanging on rail in the spare bedroom lol

thanks

shirley (not Valentine though):):):):)

well its only 8 days till we fly to corfu to board the spirit and although sailed on her 2 years ago it was our first cruise and there was a lot of things we didnt do that we will do this time now we are more confident. anyway here goes with the questions. In the Compass Rose (we only ate in Lido last time) is it waiter service and do you have a choice of main meals? How good is the captains night is it worth the hassle of hubby taking a dinner suit? Do they still do the intro to the crew talk and do they do the ships tour with a visit to the bridge? We havent prebooked cabins but will be on decks 3/4 as paid the suppliment (there are 4 of us so 2 cabins) are we likely to have the 2 cabins close together, has anyone ever had a free upgrade (we are inside although only sleep there and go to bed no earlier than 2am) thanks for your help also anyone coming with us? if so are you excited have already got my evening outfits hanging on rail in the spare bedroom lol

thanks

shirley (not Valentine though)

Hi shirley (who needs to be shirley valentine when you're off on a cruise? ;) )

Yes, Compass Rose is waiter service but very relaxed and lovely waiters who will make a real fuss of you. If you are in a party of four and dine at about the same time each night and find a table/waiters you like, they will try to save the table for you each evening. Otherwise you just go when you are ready and are seated wherever there is space (but in your four if you ask for a table for four).

As an approximation (I can't remember exactly) there is a choice of 3 starters, two types of soup, two salads, about 4/5 main courses with veggie option and about 4 sweets, followed by tea/coffee. You can look at the menu posted outside of the dining room before you go in and if it doesn't appeal, then you can always go to the Lido (let your waiters know though if they are saving a table for you.)

The Capt night isn't anything special really - but a chance to get dressed up if you wish (only chance I get!), have your photo taken with the Capt (if you wish), have a free drink or two at the cocktail reception (in the showlounge - just sit around with family/friends and chat) then the Capt intorduces his team and off you go to dinner which is perhaps a little more special than normal but not much different. We always join in- it's a change and it's a nice opportunity to people watch (if you're nosy like me :o !)

Last time we were on (May) bridge tours were offered.

Not heard of upgrades on Thomson in quite a number of trips we've done - they usually just sell off cabins cheaper for late deals but perhaps someone will have come across this.

Enjoy your trip - and the anticipation!:D

Many thanks to you Kruzseeker, I guarantee we will have a lovely time, getting very excited now only 7 sleeps left as wont go to bed next thursday night as have to leave for the airport at 3 am (yawn) trying to persuade oh to take his dinner suit for captains night- may have to leave out non essentials like shampoo from his case- oh just thought he doesnt have much hair anyway so he can borrow mine (shampoo that is)

Shirley:)

no unfortunately have only got enough holiday left from work to do the one week as we are having 5 days in benidorm in november for my 55th birthday (any excuse for a holiday) but will report back as soon as i get home.:)

Archived