Diving in Asia - Koh Samui? Singapore?

UKDG

Can anyone tell me what the diving is like in Koh Samui, Thailand or in Singapore? I'll be there on the Azamara Quest in January and would like to dive at least once during that trip. Koh Samui seems like the best chance as most everyone else will be on a "beach day".

A bit of background, I'm PADI Advanced OW certified with experience diving with nitrox, deep dives, wreck dives, etc. I did quite a bit of diving when we lived in Ft. Lauderdale ~7-10 years ago but haven't been in the water much in the past 5-6 years. So, I'm experienced, but a bit rusty.

As a female in my mid-thirties, I'm a bit out of the average demographic for the cruise I'll be on, my mother & I are traveling together. Obviously, she won't be diving that day.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or tips for a woman booking a dive alone in this part of the world? Any particular operator you'd recommend?

Yes, Koh Sanui port is the best assuming you are in port for 8-9 hours. You can arrange in advance from US to go on a dive trip over to Kah Tao where the snorkeling and diving is very good. the trip from Koh Samui will take 30-40 minutes and if you pay for a high-end dive outing ($150) you can get a 2 tank dive all inclusive.

• 3 months later...

It looks like I will not be diving during our cruise - we're scheduled to arrive at 9 AM and of the 12-15 dive shops in Koh Samui or Koh Tao, ALL of them leave the dock at 8, no exceptions.

I realize they cater to the those who come & stay for a week, not the cruise ship crowd, but I thought I'd make one last appeal to see if anyone here knows of a dive operation that would have availability on Wednesday, January 19?

I'm not sure if you will be stopping in Phuket, but I dove there a few years back and thought it was very good.

No, we're stopping in Koh Samui, which is why I'm asking about diving there and Koh Tao.

Archived