Hi all, First trip to Alaska & of course! Questions.

Santa2ya

First off. From reading lots & lots of post's and trip reports this obviously is the place to be. For information that is.

My itinerary has a few holes so please bear with me.

Land on our own (mainly scenery) and 7 day southbound cruise to Vancouver with 1 of the 3 lines (leaning toward R/C) but feel free to persuade me. My dates are 5/28 - 6/10/11 but not set in stone just yet.

5/28 - Flight arrive's in Anchorage, Rent car, Hotel ??

5/29 - Spend the day & drive to Healy, Hotel ??

5/30 - Fairbanks in the morning, Gold panning, River boat, Pioneer Park, Hotel ?? or back to Healy.

5/31 - Denali, Kantishna tour if open, Hotel back in Healy.

6/1 - Anchorage, Return rental car, Hotel ??

6/2 - 26 Glacier day trip, Hotel in Whittier or Seward??

6/3 - 7 day southbound cruise to Vancouver.

Questions everyone! :eek:

Hotel ideas between $100 (or less) - $150? I saw a review of one in Healy with a so - so vending machine pastry type breakfast but cannot remember the name or where it was. This type lodging would be fine for the road trip part.

Transportation options from Anchorage to Whittier then possibly to Seward? We will have our luggage with us at this point.

Would any hotel options in Anchorage allow luggage storage between 5/29 & 6/1 even at a little higher cost? I am thinking we can just take what we need to Fairbanks & Denali. Then take our luggage on the bus/train to Whittier/Seward.

Feedback is much appreciated. ;)

You are not allowing enough time to get anything out of your visit to Denali National Park. Please rethink.

I may be pushing it some. My option would be to drop Fairbanks and stay in Healy 2 nights. I sure would love to be able to afford a couple nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse but that is impossible.

You are not allowing enough time to get anything out of your visit to Denali National Park. Please rethink.

Yes, with scenery being your priority you may want to skip Fairbanks and spend at least two nights in Denali.

Although Anchorage has some interesting venues, heading south after Denali toward Whittier/Seward and driving along Turnagain Arm is a good option. You may want to look at rentals that can be dropped in either place. You will incur a drop fee but the rental car gives you much more flexibility to explore along the way.

5/28 - Flight arrive's in Anchorage, Rent car, Hotel ??

5/29 - Spend the day & drive to Healy, Hotel ??

5/30 - Fairbanks in the morning, Gold panning, River boat, Pioneer Park, Hotel ?? or back to Healy.

5/31 - Denali, Kantishna tour if open, Hotel back in Healy.

6/1 - Anchorage, Return rental car, Hotel ??

6/2 - 26 Glacier day trip, Hotel in Whittier or Seward??

6/3 - 7 day southbound cruise to Vancouver.

If you get into Anchorage early enough and aren't too tired, I would suggest you get your car and head straight to the Palmer/Wasilla area to spend the night (5/28). If your priority is scenery, a drive up to Independence mine is almost a must do. Come back down into Wasilla and then you can leisurely drive to Healy, where you could spend the night (5/29). May 30 and 31 could be spent exploring the Denali area, and then return to Anchorage on June 1 and continue with your plan. If the ship you ultimately choose sails from Seward, you might want to return to Anchorage on May 31 and spend the extra day in Seward. Depends on if you're looking for ocean scenery/wildlife, or mountainous scenery/wildlife.

Choices, choices!

Kantishna is not an option in your timeframe, and unless you are at Denali park, June 1 or LATER, you are only going to get to Toklat.

I too agree, skip Fairbanks, you don't have the time. And ADD extra days, if at all possible. You are short on time. And greatly underestimating time and distances.

Chilkoot has the best suggestion, of which I also recommend, get a one way car rental, once you get back to Anchorage. IF you can adjust your time for an overnight in Seward, that is the best option. Then just drive stright to Whittier, without wasting time backtracking. Although costly, your time has a "cost" too. Especially in Alaska.

Another option, with your limited access into Denali Park, is to drive and overnight in Talkeetna/Palmer/Wasilla, rather than another overnight in Denali area. Then drive to Seward for a full day of touring the next day.

I suggest you get your itinereary figured out FIRST, and workable, with better timing. THEN worry about your lodgings.

Well, many people tout DIY tours. Even if that is what you want to do, why not look at the cruise/tour schedules and see how they do it. They are VERY experienced at scheduling and know all the times involved.

For example, doing Denali in one day is well nigh impossible. Look at the cruise tours and see how they arrange it. Then emulate their schedules.

BUT -- then compare what you get and what it costs and see if doing all the work and taking on all the responsibility of doing it independently really works for you. Frankly, we penciled it out, and figured that unless we wanted to stay in shacks and eat peanut butter the cruisetour was reasonably priced. They do all the work, you sit back and watch the scenery go by (largely views of a wall of spruce and willow trees, but occasionally something spectacular.)

Take a look at the portion of our tour from Fairbanks to Denali at

http://www.bully4.us/ct3.html

Even if you go independent, this would suggest a good schedule for you.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Wow! :D Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming.

I had a feeling Denali would only be partially open during that time.

How about if I keep the same dates 5/28 - 6/10 and reverse the trip.

5/27 - 6/3 Radiance of the Sea to Seward.

6/3 - Rent a car,Visit Kenai Fjords National Park, Spend night in Seward.

6/4 - Head to Whittier for 26 glacier cruise or similar. Head to Independence mine, Spend night in Wasilla/Talkeetna (suggestions ??).

6/5 - Head to Denali for 3 nights.

6/8 - ????

6/9 - ????

6/10 - Anchorage, Drop rental & catch flight.

Feel free to insert your opinion ;) here ???? as I am open to suggestions. I know age doesn't matter but we are 45-50 and looking forward to our first leisurely cruise & trip to Alaska. On the other hand if you need direction for a trip to Walt Disney World in Florida I can do that practically blindfold. I stopped counting after 10 trips and that was some years ago. I have never gone on a Disney cruise but that's for another time.

Well, many people tout DIY tours. Even if that is what you want to do, why not look at the cruise/tour schedules and see how they do it. They are VERY experienced at scheduling and know all the times involved.

For example, doing Denali in one day is well nigh impossible. Look at the cruise tours and see how they arrange it. Then emulate their schedules.

QUOTE]

I don't agree, there are many cruisetours which are not planned well. And to claim they are very "experienced" means nothing. Princess is "experienced" at the Natural History tour, which, if people know the difference and choose it fine. But plenty do not know the lacking shortcomings of this tour. Rushing miles and miles all day, then little time at the destinations, is on some itineraries. Group point to point travel, is slower than independent, and this poster has limited time. Add to the mix, the cruisetours, which do NOT have enough time at Denali park ,and Sorry, I am never going to recommend only one night there, and slamming out an all day tour, then back on the road/rail.

Best for this poster is going to be, understanding the routes, distances, attractions. Then it doesn't matter how they book independent, or cruisetour. Key is to be able to make an informed choice.

Wow! :D Thanks for all the great advice. Keep it coming.

I had a feeling Denali would only be partially open during that time.

How about if I keep the same dates 5/28 - 6/10 and reverse the trip.

5/27 - 6/3 Radiance of the Sea to Seward.

6/3 - Rent a car,Visit Kenai Fjords National Park, Spend night in Seward.

6/4 - Head to Whittier for 26 glacier cruise or similar. Head to Independence mine, Spend night in Wasilla/Talkeetna (suggestions ??).

6/5 - Head to Denali for 3 nights.

6/8 - ????

6/9 - ????

6/10 - Anchorage, Drop rental & catch flight.

Feel free to insert your opinion ;) here ???? as I am open to suggestions. I know age doesn't matter but we are 45-50 and looking forward to our first leisurely cruise & trip to Alaska. On the other hand if you need direction for a trip to Walt Disney World in Florida I can do that practically blindfold. I stopped counting after 10 trips and that was some years ago. I have never gone on a Disney cruise but that's for another time.

I always recommend northbound in this timeframe. You are opening up way more for yourself. As a lower cost option, out of Seward you would be with a Hertz car, turn it in for a cheaper round trip Anchorage rental when you get there. So consider 2 car rentals and not just the one.

Going this route, offers you the option to get to Kantishna, and Wonder Lake.

..... Consider 2 car rentals and not just the one.

Going this route, offers you the option to get to Kantishna, and Wonder Lake.

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of 2 car rentals. Kantishna / Wonder Lake is something we want to get in.

I have seen good reviews on this board for Denali Park Hotel. They seem to have a great shuttle service to some attractions, unless it is being misrepresented. Comments?

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of 2 car rentals. Kantishna / Wonder Lake is something we want to get in.

I have seen good reviews on this board for Denali Park Hotel. They seem to have a great shuttle service to some attractions, unless it is being misrepresented. Comments?

I have stayed at Denali Park Hotel several times. They don't have any "shuttles" that I am aware of? I always have a car. It is a good basic hotel in the lower price end in the Denali park area.

I do not recommend Kantishna day trips, you are far better off with at least 1 overnight. The Skylon Lodge is the cheapest. If you are thinking about taking the shuttle bus, be advised that most of Kantishna is privately owned. Doing a day trip, Wonder Lake is the destination you want to consider.

I have stayed at Denali Park Hotel several times. They don't have any "shuttles" that I am aware of? I always have a car. It is a good basic hotel in the lower price end in the Denali park area.

I do not recommend Kantishna day trips, you are far better off with at least 1 overnight. The Skylon Lodge is the cheapest. If you are thinking about taking the shuttle bus, be advised that most of Kantishna is privately owned. Doing a day trip, Wonder Lake is the destination you want to consider.

From the way I understand the Denali Park Hotel's website (http://www.denaliparkhotel.com/shuttle.html) the shuttles to the Rail depot & Salmon Bake are free. I am uncertain about Denali National Park but I will have a car so it's not a problem.

I cannot seem to locate any info other than post's on Skylon Lodge. I believe Wonder lake is the destination I was thinking about, not Kantishna.

I don't agree, there are many cruisetours which are not planned well. And to claim they are very "experienced" means nothing. Princess is "experienced" at the Natural History tour, which, if people know the difference and choose it fine. But plenty do not know the lacking shortcomings of this tour. Rushing miles and miles all day, then little time at the destinations, is on some itineraries. Group point to point travel, is slower than independent, and this poster has limited time. Add to the mix, the cruisetours, which do NOT have enough time at Denali park ,and Sorry, I am never going to recommend only one night there, and slamming out an all day tour, then back on the road/rail.

Best for this poster is going to be, understanding the routes, distances, attractions. Then it doesn't matter how they book independent, or cruisetour. Key is to be able to make an informed choice.

Well, BQ has here very strong opinions. But for her to constantly rant that tours which do not follow HER opinions are full of shortcomings is nonsense. All the various cruise tours exist for specific purposes and fit the needs of certain people. Their immense popularity is indicated by the large numbers of people who take them year after year. The cruise lines are constantly doing surveys and getting comment cards on their cruises, excursions, and tours, and pay great attention to them. Anything which does not get TOP rankings year after year will quickly be gone.

The idea that you HAVE to go to Denali, spend several days, take the long Tundra Wilderness Tour, and that nothing else will work and there are no other options, simply is not true. It is one persons OFT REPEATED opinion. It is a good idea. It worked for us. We enjoyed it. But it may not be right for YOU!

All of the various cruise tours exist for their own reasons. The various Park tours exist for their own reasons. Seeing grizzlies at Denali on the TWT may not be YOUR top priority. Then there are other very viable options. Look at them all and decide what YOU want to do. Don't let one person's opinions panic you.

I absolutely agree with her that key is making an informed choice! Princess has an especially good page on the various tour options at Denali. Before you make a decision, check out

http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/alaska/why_visit_alaska/national_parks/denali/denali_tours/index.html

Well, BQ has here very strong opinions. But for her to constantly rant that tours which do not follow HER opinions are full of shortcomings is nonsense. All the various cruise tours exist for specific purposes and fit the needs of certain people. Their immense popularity is indicated by the large numbers of people who take them year after year. The cruise lines are constantly doing surveys and getting comment cards on their cruises, excursions, and tours, and pay great attention to them. Anything which does not get TOP rankings year after year will quickly be gone.

The idea that you HAVE to go to Denali, spend several days, take the long Tundra Wilderness Tour, and that nothing else will work and there are no other options, simply is not true. It is one persons OFT REPEATED opinion. It is a good idea. It worked for us. We enjoyed it. But it may not be right for YOU!

All of the various cruise tours exist for their own reasons. The various Park tours exist for their own reasons. Seeing grizzlies at Denali on the TWT may not be YOUR top priority. Then there are other very viable options. Look at them all and decide what YOU want to do. Don't let one person's opinions panic you.

I absolutely agree with her that key is making an informed choice! Princess has an especially good page on the various tour options at Denali. Before you make a decision, check out

http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/alaska/why_visit_alaska/national_parks/denali/denali_tours/index.html

The problems are apparent when it is NOT KNOWN by the purchaser what they have chosen, and later find out they have the Natural History tour. Sorry, your but "rants" are just as repeated. You have one trip interior Alaska. Many of us on this board have a lot more experience in Interior Alaska, and it is of no harm to post about features people may want to consider, that offer way more "Alaska" then some of the limited cruisetours. There ARE poor itineraries for cruisetours, and to state, they are ALL great, is naive. They clearly are not.

The benefit of this board is to offer more information, THEN the ability to choose being fully informed.

Having never been to Alaska or on a cruise makes this planning process that much more difficult. I have a limited budget $6-7K for a 2 week 25th anniversary vacation that is by far the more than we have ever spent on any 2 Disney vacations combined and we enjoy moderate accommodations and some of the finer restaurants.

I have no idea what questions to ask if I have no idea what my options are. Whether I plan this on my own or book a cruise tour. I would still like to know my options. You both have provided good options.

I didn't mean to get something started.

Sorry :(

cruisecritic is fine for cruise info, but for the land tour of Alaska I would recommend using the sister site, tripadvisor.com. especially since you're planning a DIY tour. Trip Advisor is geared towards land travel, contains many trip reports where you can pick up useful recommendations, destination experts who can assist with specific locations. Not as much nonsense either.

Archived