Dining exclusively in specialty restaurant ?

eddy67

This thread blows my mind. Given the lunch meals eaten at restaurants on shore and so much food on board ,I am shocked so many would eat

all or most of their dinner meals at surcharge restaurants. In addition to the extra money, how "special" are these

specialty restaurants when you eat their every night. Besides ,I enjoyed eating with 1800 of my closest friends on the Mariner.:D

Isn't it wonderful we are all different and thank goodness. Hopefully, I'll get the time/date I want for each restaurant if lots of other people feel the same way :)

My dh and I work hard and love to enjoy good meals with attentative service. Not saying the MDR doesn't do this but from our experience the speciality restaurants are a step above the MDR. To each his own :)

We recently returned from a cruise on Allure and did only specialty restaurants. We'd do it again in a heartbeat. We chose to do this, as having cruised many times on RCCL ships, we know the menu by heart as to what you get on which night. While we do have definite favorites on the MDR menu, we wanted to change things up this time. Each specialty restaurant was unique in its own way and was very enjoyable. As we were traveling alone this trip, having dinner last for 2 hours was fine with us. We allowed plenty of time between dinner and shows.

Below is our dining schedule for our Anniversary cruise this past May on the Allure.

5/1/2011 - Chops Grille

5/2/2011 - Giovanni's Table

5/3/2011 - Chef's Table

5/4/2011 - 150 Park Avenue

5/5/2011 - Rita's Fiesta (Cinco de Mayo)

5/6/2011 - Chops Grille

5/7/2011 - Samba Grille

We never ate in the main dining room the entire cruise.

For our upcoming Oasis B2B -

12/17/2011 - main dining room

12/18/2011 - Chef's Table

12/19/2011 - Chops Grille

12/20/2011 - 150 Park Avenue

12/21/2011 - Solorium Bistro

12/22/2011 - Giovanni's Table

12/23/2011 - main dining room

12/24/2011 - Chops

12/25/2011 - main dining room for special Christmas menu

12/26/2011 - Giovanni's Table

12/27/2011 - Chef's Table

12/28/2011 - Solorium Bistro

12/29/2011 - Giovanni's Table

12/30/2011 - Chops Grille

on this cruise we will only eat in the main dining room three times and one night is their special Christmas menu.

We live in a very small town with very limited access to anything but fastfood - so we will take advantage of the speciality restaurants

For last 2 cruises (Enchantment and Radiance) daughter and I only ate at specialty restaurants after a dreadful first night MDR meal on the Enchantment about 2 yrs ago. The manager in Chops on both ships came to know us, and I feel we got exceptional service. I plan to do same on Oasis in March, but probably add room service as well.

This is all personal preference. I am on vacation and already spending $$$ so I would rather have better food.

I cannot believe this thread. I would never waste the money for a Specialty Restaurant more than one night on any cruise. I never thought it was much above the MDR. But, I'm glad it's there for those who want to waste the money. That makes my experience in the MDR even better, with less there to serve. Also all the money others are willing to spend on cruise extras lessens the overall costs for the rest of us. Enjoy!

When I go on the Oasis this December, I will be dining 4 out of the 7 nights. And that might be more since I didn't pre-book Izumi (might do that for lunch instead). Nothing wrong with it if you are willing to spend the money!

I cannot believe this thread. I would never waste the money for a Specialty Restaurant more than one night on any cruise. I never thought it was much above the MDR. But, I'm glad it's there for those who want to waste the money. That makes my experience in the MDR even better, with less there to serve. Also all the money others are willing to spend on cruise extras lessens the overall costs for the rest of us. Enjoy!

Just because you think the specialty restaurants are a waste of money doesn't mean the rest of us do. There's a big difference between getting lukewarm food that is rushed to you by an overworked table server and getting a hot just cooked meal being served in a relaxed quiet restaurant by a server who makes this a special dining experience.

If you only go to a specialty restaurant on 1 night of your cruise, you really can't judge and make statements like I never thought it was much above the MDR. You're just stating your opinion (with very limited experience) to which we are all entitled to.

Go enjoy your MDR experience, if that is your preference, and those of us who prefer taking our dining to the next level will do the specialty restaurants. To each his own!:D

Hubby and I were on a 7 night trip on Oasis in September and we kindof ate at specialty restaurants every night. We got on the ship with reservations for Izumi, Chops, and Giovanni's Table. Our res at Giovanni's got moved (by us) to a different night because one of our show reservations got moved, so we just grabbed a burger at Johnny Rockets that night. We did end up in the MDR for three nights but on two of nights we also ended up ordering the filet mignon from Chops, so really there was only one evening where we dined in the MDR and ate exclusively from their menu. We did manage to completely avoid the Windjammer for the entire week...I don't think we've ever been on a ship before and not gone to the buffet for at least one meal!

This thread blows my mind. Given the lunch meals eaten at restaurants on shore and so much food on board ,I am shocked so many would eat

all or most of their dinner meals at surcharge restaurants. In addition to the extra money, how "special" are these

specialty restaurants when you eat their every night. Besides ,I enjoyed eating with 1800 of my closest friends on the Mariner.:D

Why are you shocked? Been there and done that with the dining rooms but for the ones that want to use them, knock yourself out. I like the smaller dining venues where the service is not rushed and the quality of food is much better.

Also what some consider a waste of money, others may not. :)

The best part of eating in the MDR is meeting and getting to know your fellow travelers. Personally, I love my DH, but others at the table can make the dining experience much more fun.

After the first few days of cruising and eating so much, there are many nights

that I'm not even hungry...so I wouldn't want to pay for a specialty on those nights..I always start with the best intentions of not over eating, but that never works..That being said, I'm going to try to keep it under control this time;)

Maybe you have to call RCCL if you have 10 or more.

I may give them a call too I will only be booking for 8 but we will have 4 cabins.

Can anyone let me know can you do 4 cabins when booking for 8 people?

Thanks so much.

There is a spot were it will ask you if you want to "add" other reservations, as

long as you have there reservation number and last name you can add them to your list and book it all at the same time. I was able to do this with all five cabins in total, but it still would not give me the reservation? Keep in mind that you do have to pay at this point for everyone. I will call, thanks.

I want to try "Sol/Bistro" for dinner, but our group is not impressed by the

menu, has anyone tried this on the Oasis?

There is a spot were it will ask you if you want to "add" other reservations, as

long as you have there reservation number and last name you can add them to your list and book it all at the same time. I was able to do this with all five cabins in total, but it still would not give me the reservation? Keep in mind that you do have to pay at this point for everyone. I will call, thanks.

I want to try "Sol/Bistro" for dinner, but our group is not impressed by the

menu, has anyone tried this on the Oasis?

Thank you very much!

Let us know how you make out when you call.

Good luck.

I was just reading several trip reports from the Oasis! I think I am going to book one of the speciality restaurants the first night. Several posters stated that the main dining rooms were packed and the waiters were having a hard time keeping up. This happened to us and we ended up waiting a good 20 minutes? It was a big rush of people now that I think about it :rolleyes:?? Has anyone else found this to be true???

I was just reading several trip reports from the Oasis! I think I am going to book one of the speciality restaurants the first night. Several posters stated that the main dining rooms were packed and the waiters were having a hard time keeping up. This happened to us and we ended up waiting a good 20 minutes? It was a big rush of people now that I think about it :rolleyes:?? Has anyone else found this to be true???

We were on Allure last week. Only went to the MDR on the first Formal night when we were invited to dine with the Captain (still don't know how that happened!) and the crowding was insane! The other six nights we did specialty restaurants and also the Chef's Table, which was actually THE best experience of the entire trip! Well worth the $95/person.

We are abandoning the MDR was well.

The menus on RCI are getting tired. We take advantage of great cuisine when we are in port..and then generally eat lightly those nights.

The rest of the time we have taken to eating in specialties. Frankly we are as tired of the MDR mayhem as we are of the menus. We can eat at our own pace in specialties, know the food is made when we order it and enjoy the quiet atmosphere.

Do we mind paying extra for the kind of meals we used to have in the MDR?? At first we did. But now we have accepted the fact that the MDR is meant for feeding the masses and the specialties are meant for pax who enjoy good food and great service. We no longer have to screech at each other to talk over the din in the MDR. We don't listen to clanging plates and have rarely heard a crying child in a specialty.

We too are happy that RCI has instituted the specialty restaurants and don't mind paying extra for better food and a nicer ambiance when dining.

The menus on RCI are getting tired. We take advantage of great cuisine when we are in port..and then generally eat lightly those nights.

The rest of the time we have taken to eating in specialties. Frankly we are as tired of the MDR mayhem as we are of the menus. We can eat at our own pace in specialties, know the food is made when we order it and enjoy the quiet atmosphere.

Do we mind paying extra for the kind of meals we used to have in the MDR?? At first we did. But now we have accepted the fact that the MDR is meant for feeding the masses and the specialties are meant for pax who enjoy good food and great service. We no longer have to screech at each other to talk over the din in the MDR. We don't listen to clanging plates and have rarely heard a crying child in a specialty.

We too are happy that RCI has instituted the specialty restaurants and don't mind paying extra for better food and a nicer ambiance when dining.

Enjoyed your response, u covered all the issues without attacking or offending anyone. It was very articulate & easy to understand...IMO anyway!

Thanks - very nice to read..:)

Ditto!

My dh and I talked about doing this for a few years. Then, last January, we did a cruise, just the 2 of us and didn't take the kids (teens). We booked the Speciality Restaurants for each night of our cruise.

Next July, we decided to do the same thing on the Oasis for our family of 4, since we can eat in a new place each night. Can't wait!

Archived