Leave for Alaska Friday - Excursion help

lylabelle1

I'm having a terrible time figuring out what excursions to do. I'm into photography so picture are a big thing... I'd prefer bears, whales and wildlife over glaciers - but I do want to hit one of those since we are in Alaska for heaven sake.

Our two stops are Juneau and Skagway. I was thinking Alaska's Whales and Rainforest Trails out of Juneau to get up close to the whales, see the glacier and some wildlife in one shot... so I think thats a good choice.

What would you all suggest for Skagway? I was thinking the 4x4 trip, but I'm not sure what you see thats unusual or interesting than just going 4x4 up in the forest near home. Would the Glacier Point wilderness safari be a better choice? Are we too far away from the glacier in Juneau that we should do that one to really get up close to a glacier?

Any favorites, comments or suggestions?? Thanks!! Can't wait to go!

there have been a lot of posts over the past few weeks from travellers returning from their cruises where they discuss the ports and the excursions they took and even attach photos. Look thru the past week or 2 and you should find some recommendations. Also go to the REVIEW forum, specifically the member reviews where you can search by Port to read individual reviews. Another resource I used was to read the Meet and Mingle for my ship, but I looked at previous departure dates to mine to see what others were doing.

I did an excursion to Haines out of Skagway a couple of weeks ago. I think it was the Nature Trail Walk. You take the fast ferry to Haines and a bus to Chilkoot Lake where you go on a short hike. We saw some wildlife and beautiful scenery. Just missed the mama bear and cubs, but the salmon are running and the chances of seeing a bear along the river there are good.

Also, there have been several bears near the salmon viewing platform at Mendenall Glacier. They come down for salmon, but are then usually scared away by loud tourists, so it takes some patience to get photos. the whale watch is also an excellent choice in Juneau and I try to do one whenever I'm in town, as I have gotten some excellent photos of whales.

Welcome to CC,

Bring the biggest lense you can/have or consider renting. I had a 70-200 2.8 with 14 TCE and it was still way too short for the bears/whales, unless you are very very lucky!

Consider the ship add on excursion in Tracy Arm. It will get you close to the ice, glacier and if lucky you could see seals, whales and bears.

In August you have good chance to catch bears at the rivers as Salmon are running. But bear specific excursions can be pricey, whale watching less so. Harv and Orca are two highly recommended out of Juneau. We went with Orca and had a great time.

I'm not a big wildlife shooter but did come back with some, not great but some shots.

Happy shooting!

Rhapsody. We cruise through Tracy Arm Fjord but don't stop there.

1836880619_305SealonTracyArmExcursion.jpg.a8f8d277d3a41e36492f8fce54935e39.jpg

821068894_390BearoneinTracyArm.jpg.d96b41577bcf78943b8aa5a6327eecee.jpg

806144110_410Whaletail.jpg.45ce2349deda8dea8b982116d0bd04c7.jpg

1634438719_475WhaleWatching.jpg.bf2e2bf0faebd74adccc07d039736f3c.jpg

763478034_485Eagle.jpg.74b7ce8c7b46cd0571b5e8a341e36df4.jpg

I'm having a terrible time figuring out what excursions to do. I'm into photography so picture are a big thing... I'd prefer bears, whales and wildlife over glaciers - but I do want to hit one of those since we are in Alaska for heaven sake.

Our two stops are Juneau and Skagway. I was thinking Alaska's Whales and Rainforest Trails out of Juneau to get up close to the whales, see the glacier and some wildlife in one shot... so I think thats a good choice.

What would you all suggest for Skagway? I was thinking the 4x4 trip, but I'm not sure what you see thats unusual or interesting than just going 4x4 up in the forest near home. Would the Glacier Point wilderness safari be a better choice? Are we too far away from the glacier in Juneau that we should do that one to really get up close to a glacier?

Any favorites, comments or suggestions?? Thanks!! Can't wait to go!

SKAGWAY-

We just came back from our Alaska cruise. We did the Takshaunk Mountain 4x4 Adventure in Skagway, actually Haines. We took a high speed boat from Skagway to Haines about 45 minute ride each way. Once we arrived in Haines we loaded on a bus and went to an area to pick up our 4x4 Mules (Mules are between a 4 wheeler and a jeep). We drove up a very narrow trail, 1500 ft to an open meadow that over looked the Lynn Canal & Chilkot Lake. The scenery was amazing but I have to be honest other then stopping at the lodge, half way up and the very top, you do not stop for pictures. We really enjoyed the excursion and highly recommend it but I wanted to be honest about the photo opportunities. What you can photo is spectacular though.

JUNEAU-

We did Harv & Marv for whale watching, which we have done before with several photo opportunities ( I took over 200 pictures), they also took us to a shoreline that had over 100 Bald Eagles where we were within inches of them, Salmon Hatchery (amazing photos) and Mendenhall Glacier. If you go to Mendenhall make sure you walk up to the waterfall, great views of the glacier.

KETCHIKAN-

We flew with Carlin Air to Anan Creek Bear Observatory. There were so many bears and some within 5 feet. I took spectacular pictures of the bears catchong salmon from the running stream and 2 bears that had an argument. I took over 400 pictures, so that gives you an idea of the fantastic photo opportunities.

Unfortunately, if you have not booked the above mentioned excursions, you will have a very slim chance of booking them now, unless, there are cancellations. Have a great cruise and make sure you take plenty of memory cards, I took about 4,000 pictures:D

Thanks all!

We booked with Harv and will go hike the Glacier a bit to the waterfall after.

Still figuring out Skagway... the 4x4 tour doesn't run Mondays :( So it will be something else. considering the Glacier safari.

Good tip on the memory cards.. I have 3 but I'm bringing my laptop to unload and sort a bit so hopefully I can narrow down as I go ;)

SKAGWAY-

We just came back from our Alaska cruise. We did the Takshaunk Mountain 4x4 Adventure in Skagway, actually Haines. We took a high speed boat from Skagway to Haines about 45 minute ride each way. Once we arrived in Haines we loaded on a bus and went to an area to pick up our 4x4 Mules (Mules are between a 4 wheeler and a jeep). We drove up a very narrow trail, 1500 ft to an open meadow that over looked the Lynn Canal & Chilkot Lake. The scenery was amazing but I have to be honest other then stopping at the lodge, half way up and the very top, you do not stop for pictures. We really enjoyed the excursion and highly recommend it but I wanted to be honest about the photo opportunities. What you can photo is spectacular though.

Thanks for the 4x4 mule suggestion. This looks like an awesome excursion! We are sailing with Celebrity the middle of Sept. Did you book this through your cruise line? How long was the tour from the time you left Skagway until you returned?

Archived