Cunard - American or British??

bazzaw

I have posted this here for a reason - and that is not for a "stir".

Wife and I will be sailing soon on Oriana and Arcadia - basically 2x half World cruises - Brisbane,Australia to Brisbane - with nearly 3 weeks in London in the middle. We are really looking forward to it - and, as Anglophiles, looking forward to being on a couple of "British" ships. :) We are fond of Britain and the "Brits" and know them quite well - their good points and bad :p and we love them, just the same.

Two years ago we were in the UK and went especially to Southampton to see QM2 at her berth. Took the ferry from Hythe. Just over a year ago, somebody on the Aus CC forum said that there "might" be a possibility that a short sector "may" open up for a 5 day cruise Sydney to Auckland, Nz. It is not a part of the QM2 WC - but people "in the know" thought it could happen. So a number of us placed our names, passport numbers , etc with a travel agent on the off chance that IF the sector was opened up, we would be on the starting blocks!!

Couple of days ago , I got an email basically demanding final payment for a cruise. Damn cheek I thought!! I've already paid for the Oriana/Arcadia cruises . The I saw that it was for a cruise on the QM2 - Sydney to Auckland - AND we board QM2 for 2 days in Sydney while it is berthed with Queen Elizabeth (on her maiden voyage). We are REALLY excited about this - Sydney really puts on a show when these sorts of occasion happen on the harbour. See this as an example

BUT - having frequented this forum for a while in preparation for our P&O cruises - I sauntered over to the Cunard Forum to see what was going on - and it seemed to me to be quite "American" - and I even "think" the currency onboard is USD???- now don't get me wrong - because I am also an Americanophile (is there such a word?) So my question is - in spite of the advertising, just how British is QM2 in regard to how it feels onboard?? We shall obviously see soon enough. But maybe a polite conversation re this is not out of place in this P&O forum??

Barry

I don't think it has the feeling of either nationality, instead it has a feeling of quality and tradition that the newer cruise ships can't hope to match.

I doubt you'll be disappointed - she's my favourite ship out of the many I've bee on. She's just fabulous.

We generally cruise with both Cenard and P & O. The Cunard experience is not to be missed. QM2 is a big big ship. The currency on board, through your charge card is $US. The drinks are subject to15% additional surcharge but are still not overly expensive compared to UK pubs. $4.95 for a pint of bass ale, but not quite the same as UK Bass:(

Hope that helps, and oh, by the way, the QE will be on her maiden world cruise not maiden voyage, thet is October this year to the Canaries from Southampton. Have a great time.

We prefer P&O by along shot. The staff on the QM2 were absolutly horrid, they didn't even ask us if we wanted a cup of tea at the end of our meal! QE2 had better satff, but the cabin we were in was like beng stuck on top of a pneumatic drill all night! Haven't been on QV, so can't give an account of that; but we'd never cruise Cunard again, unless you get into grills class

I am always amused how people do not reply to a specific question asked in a posting in Forums ( not just here ) - but push an agenda or an opinion that has nothing to do with the question asked.

In this case, I am interested to know whether people consider Cunard to be a ship in the American or British "styles" -- not whether they thought Cunard was better or worse than P&O.

I do believe that there is both a "British "style and an "American" style" (and certainly an "Aussie" style :p) relating to things in general and also in particular. However I can also see that residents of these countries do not necessarily reflect that style as individuals. So, I was interested to note that one respondent feels that Cunard is neither American or British in style - but belongs more to a style related to the concept of "luxury". But then again, I can also see that the Brits, Yanks and Aussies have different views of what "luxury" actually is.

I am really looking forward to the next six months!! :)

Barry

Cunards historical home has always been the North Atlantic crossing, and as such had to cater for British and American passengers, although in mumbers I suspect the Americans outnumber the British. For this reason, although Cunard was a British company, the on board currency has been the US dollar. The also have the choice of American or British bacon at breakfast and there are also other American cullunery delights depending on your palette. The style has always been British with British officers (mainly) and afternoon tea.

So to sum up and answer the original question, Cunard has British traditions but slanted towards Americans.

Now of course Cunard is part of Carnival which is a joint US/British company, quoted on the London and New York stock exchanges and is the only company in the world to be included in both the S&P 500 index in the US and the FTSE100 index in the UK.

Brian

Archived