Your opinion...is the Dream just all marketing hype?

LMCruise

In your opinion, is the Dream going to be noticeably better than the current ships? Or is it mostly marketing hype with a few nicely done artist renderings?

I have convinced myself that for my first DCL cruise, I need to go on the Dream. I'd like to do 7 nights and I love Grand Cayman, so obviously another itinerary would better suit me. But...I like new stuff. I hate outdated and worn. I like bigger, better, bolder. The virtual porthole rooms with white duvets on the Dream just look so much more appealing than the current insides with their cheesy mirror over the bed and ugly bedspreads. The Nemo themed splash area for babies also draws me in...But then I think, the darn ship isn't even built yet.

Other people LOVE the current ships. They are obviously just fine. So why can't I make myself book the Magic for next year instead of the Dream?

Disney has done a number on me. I wish I would have never watched that stupid Dream video on their website!

I would try the current ships before Dream, so you can compare yourself.

DCL is very good with keeping their ships clean, they look brand new each time. And, yes, the Dream will be different then the current ships and even more fun possibly, with the largest and only water coaster at sea, and lots more.

The present ships, Magic and Wonder, are impeccably maintained. You'd never guess that they are both more than ten years old. We love both of them because of their condition, the styling that is so much more in keeping with the old traditional ocean liners (so many of the new megaships just look like floating boxy hotels), and of course the level of service afforded passengers.

It's going to be a while before the new ships are used for the 7-night cruises. In the meantime, IMHO you really can't go wrong taking a 7-nighter on Magic.

Disney ships are very nice, but there is a lot of hype with the Dream, other ships out there are also very good. There are a few who want to be first on this cruise ship but best wait for a 7 night cruise, as you cannot enjoy everything on this ship in 3/4/ or 5 days, and places like the new Aquaduck will be busy with long lines.

There is a loyal following for Disney and a rush when booking comes out, its something Disney does, a bit like getting Magic Kingdom character meals, people want to to be first,and say they were successful when there is limited supply, but actually there are better deals.:)

In your opinion, is the Dream going to be noticeably better than the current ships? Or is it mostly marketing hype with a few nicely done artist renderings?

I have convinced myself that for my first DCL cruise, I need to go on the Dream. I'd like to do 7 nights and I love Grand Cayman, so obviously another itinerary would better suit me. But...I like new stuff. I hate outdated and worn. I like bigger, better, bolder. The virtual porthole rooms with white duvets on the Dream just look so much more appealing than the current insides with their cheesy mirror over the bed and ugly bedspreads. The Nemo themed splash area for babies also draws me in...But then I think, the darn ship isn't even built yet.

Other people LOVE the current ships. They are obviously just fine. So why can't I make myself book the Magic for next year instead of the Dream?

Disney has done a number on me. I wish I would have never watched that stupid Dream video on their website!

There is nothing outdated or worn on the Wonder or the Magic. I don't think you really understand what a Disney cruise is all about.

They are probably a bit of both..... Disney's expertise with innovation and fun is only second to their ability to market. The ships will be great but everyone has to be realistic with their expectations in that most of the ship's changes will be evolutions of the features that Magic and Wonder already have (except AquaDuck)

That being said, check my signature.... We will be on the Jan 26 inaugural on Dream and I am probably more excited about that cruise than any other we have on our schedule. There is something about a Disney product that truly is magical and we want a piece of that marketing magic. I fully believe that the cruise will be crazy and live up to my expectations.

We did Magic a couple years ago and it looked practically new... Don't hesitate to book a cruise on her because she is older.

We went on the maiden cruise of the Magic in 1998. Is was a nightmare,so much of a new ship needs to be "shook down" to get the bugs out. Like no one flushed all the toilets at the same time, so when this occurred one our first night you can imagine the mess.

We will be on the Jan 26 inaugural on Dream...

We went on the maiden cruise of the Magic in 1998. Is was a nightmare,so much of a new ship needs to be "shook down" to get the bugs out. Like no one flushed all the toilets at the same time, so when this occurred one our first night you can imagine the mess.

tprime, we were seriously tempted to book that cruise, but like conchflats pointed out, inaugural cruises can be very "iffy"... brand new ship, new-to-the-ship crew, etc. That's why we held off and booked May, after the ship has had a few months to get things smoothed out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was also on that cruise. I have been on 17 cruises and I will always remember the maiden cruise of the magic. It was a nightmare. The first hour was wonderful and it just went downhill from their. The dream looks amazing and I can't wait to book this ship but I am waiting for the dream to get a couple months under its belts..

I don't know if it will be noticebly better because the wonder still feels like a new ship. I actually have my doubts about the Dream. A lot more people with the same stuff. I'll let others test the waters then I'll consider it.

I was surprised how well maintained the ships were kept. These do not look like they are worn hard at all. There are people constantly cleaning, polishing and painting.

I will agree with you that the bedding turns my stomach and well as some other areas of the ship. That's just the decorator in me. The staterooms are ugly. Some call it "classic" or "nogstalgic", but I call it soooo outdated. The covers look like they were bought at a "Kmart Green light special".

I like bigger, better, and bolder, too.

I won't go on the Wonder or Magic anymore because I feel they have fallen behind in the offerings many other ships offer. Their service is great hands down compared to the other ships, but I need a better variety of entertainment and activities then what Disney offers.

My kids need more teenager things to do. The Dream would be our only choice of the 3 ships now. I had the Dream booked when sailings were offered, but I cancelled at a later date.

My kids really like the Freedom Class and Oasis Class of RCI. We did a 3 day Wonder and then jumped on RCI's Freedom ship. This ship instantly won my kids over.

Then, realised I wasn't going to pay for the Dream to test the Aquadock...which was my kids main only interest.

Archived