watch out bed on the floor 08/16/2010

Same thing in our 8/14 Elation sailing with 4 people. Here's a pic. I was also upset since I paid a good rate for the 4th at 259 for a 5 day when my senior citizen parents paid 249 for 1 and 2nd pax for an inside. Oh and this wasn't big enough for the 10 year old as THIS is a toddler bed meant for a crib.

CruiseSummer2010009.jpg

I've actually done this. I refuse to walk barefoot in hotel rooms or on cruise ships. I keep my flip flops by the bed and I don't take one step without them. I would refuse a mattress on the floor. Filthy.

Actually, the floor is probably cleaner than the bedspread. And don't forget the suitcase pad that is on the bed - I don't think that gets washed very often and how many suitcases, from how many people, from how many countries has that held. The floor is atleast vacuumed twice a day. In many hotels, after a look at the sheets, blankets, pillows etc I think the floor would be the least of my worries.

The point everyone is missing is that Carnival has never to my knowledge said anything about putting mattresses on the floor. It was never told to us or even on the website there was no mendion of a matress on the floor or even a roll-away bed in the room. We booked the cruise through Carnival itself. And yes I paid the full price for a 3rd person in the cabin.

MY cabin was not a guarantee. I booked a specific catagory - 2 cabins side by side. One for 2 & 1 for 3 on the Imagination. All were adults. There was no frame under the pad. It was maybe 4" thick. We thought it was odd and the only complaint we made was to the steward when he brought it - something like, "You've got to be kidding!" One person volunteered to sleep on it and that was that.

That was my first cruise on Carnival and the first cruise I booked myself. I hadn't found Cruise Critic yet.

I think everyone should be aware so they don't get an unpleasant surprise too.

OP if it was supposed to have a pullman would that not have shown up on the deck plan? Just asking as RC shows what accomodations are in a cabin so you know when you book. I am not as familiar with CCL so I may be assuming something.

CCL also shows on the deck plans exactly how many people a room is configured for. I am a little surprised that they even allow someone to book a room that didn't match the configuration of the passengers. When I have booked a cabin for 2 and the room was set up for 3 (pull down bunk), I was told that if someone needed it we would be moved to accommodate them since we didn't need a room with 3 beds and they did. I always look on the website and find out what cabin I want according to where it is (what's above and below and next door). I also use a TA and she would never let us get a room that wasn't already set up with an overhead bunk for the 3rd person.

Check the Carnival website and "deck plans". Look for the legend on the side that tells you the specifics of each room.

BY THE WAY, WHAT SHIP AND ROOM NUMBER WAS THIS?

A mattress on the floor is not a bed. It is a mattress on the floor.

Having a comfortable bed is something that you should expect to be provided in a cabin. Just as you would expect towels! I would not even think that I would have to do extensive research to make sure that the cabin I had actually had a bed in it. Carnival knew that 3 people were booked in the cabin. Carnival should have made sure that a bed was provided. (A roll-a-way or a frame for the mattress would be appropriate if there was not a pull-down or sleeper sofa). The orginal poster is entitled to what they paid for. A BED!!

I think Carnival does a great job providing comprehensive deck plans with stateroom accomodations with a legend for all their rooms, all their ships.

I disagree. Last year on the Fantasy, for the 1st time due to low funds we booked an inside guarantee. Got our cabin assignment a few weeks before the cruise.

Cabin looked okay on the deck plans...but when we got on the ship there was a huge square pole right in the middle. Sure wasn't on the deck plans, anywhere. CCL's or others. Or I would have refused the cabin.

With the bed configured for a couple...there was barely room to squeeze between it and the vanity and the head of the bed was just in mid air...no head board. So your pillows fell off in the middle of the night.

I did complain..twice...told they could do nothing. Why do they ALWAYS say the ship is full, no empty cabins? I don't believe them.

We dealt with it, we laughed about it and we had fun filled cruise.

But I will never ever book another cabin without picking it out myself.

As for sleeping on a mattress on the floor...no way in h-e-double hockey sticks!!

A mattress on the floor is not a bed. It is a mattress on the floor.

Having a comfortable bed is something that you should expect to be provided in a cabin. Just as you would expect towels! I would not even think that I would have to do extensive research to make sure that the cabin I had actually had a bed in it. Carnival knew that 3 people were booked in the cabin. Carnival should have made sure that a bed was provided. (A roll-a-way or a frame for the mattress would be appropriate if there was not a pull-down or sleeper sofa). The orginal poster is entitled to what they paid for. A BED!!

TOTALLY AGREE! if you go in knowing someone will be on a roll-away, thats what you expect, that is what you expect to be paying to sleep on. not a mattress on the floor. i am cruising NOT CAMPING! i love cruising with carnival and will continue to cruise with carnival. but i will not tolerate a bed on the floor, you can be assured that i would be calling every hour on the hour until my proper bedding arrived that i paid for that week.

What difference does it make? A box spring or a platform is just a platform. It's a hard surface that the mattress sits upon. The floor is a hard surface, too. Unless you have mobility problems, I don't know why this would be a big deal.. You're not sleeping on the floor, you're sleeping on a mattress. What difference does it make if it's 6 inches higher? And from the pics I've seen, it's not on the floor. It's on a frame.. People need to lighten up. I'd rather sleep down there than on a fold down bunk bed any day.

I would of ask the cabin stewart to move them during the day and, put them back when he turned back the bed. If you would have gave him a tip up front I'm sure he would have helped you.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but why would you be tempted to pay even more money when you feel that you are not getting what you paid for to begin with? I can understand feeling the need to tip more for the extra work in this case, but this extra work is really not the passengers fault. Lets try presenting this in another manner. You check into your stateroom and find that the water to your sink is turned off due to a broken faucet. Their solution is to leave a pail of water for you. You really hoped to have warm water to shave with. So, should I tip more to ensure that I have this warm water I expected as part of the normal amenities usually provided in a stateroom?

If something I paid for does not meet my expectations, I complain (nicely, at first). If the seller of the good or service can show me fine print that I neglected to read - and it says I got what I paid for, I will thank them and then either read the fine print better next time, or deal with someone who does not hide terms of service. If they can't show me where I am really getting what I paid for, I work on resolving the issue until I am satisfied.

I don't sleep on a mattress on the floor at home, why would I pay to sleep that way on vacation?

This isn't camping, it's a cruise. My dog sleeps on a mattress on the floor.

What's next, no plates at dinner? Why not just slop the food right on the table?

When you book a cabin for three people you should be provided with beds for three people. period. We've been through this and have discovered a couple of times that Carnival's deck plans aren't always accurate about the configuration of the cabin or the number of beds. Twice it didn't matter because the rooms did not have fewer beds. The last time on the Victory it was a bit of a problem since our cabin for three only had twin beds and no pullman. The housekeeping staff was having a crisis and said they were out of rollaway beds. They tried a trundle frame but it was too short for any of the three kids (all actually adults). Eventually they located a rollaway, but when they set it up in the cabin the kids couldn't get to the bathroom without crawling over the rollaway. We got it fixed eventually by upgrading them to a balcony cabin that only had two beds, but one of them slept on the couch with their feet hanging off the edge. It wasn't optimal but it worked better than having wall to wall beds.

I don't think there is any excuse for someone having to sleep on a mattress on the floor. It wouldn't fly at a hotel, so why should it be acceptable just because we are on a ship? If Carnival made it clear at the time of booking, that a three bed cabin might mean someone sleeps on the floor or a rollaway or a trundle, that would be different. It is a pretty unpleasant surprise to get dealt when you walk into your cabin.

I don't sleep on a mattress on the floor at home, why would I pay to sleep that way on vacation?

It's not unheard of. You wouldn't be the first person to do it.

My dog sleeps on a mattress on the floor.

Some dogs actually sleep outside, on the ground! GASP!!

What's next, no plates at dinner? Why not just slop the food right on the table?

What do you expect? It's Carnival. It's 75 bucks a day. I could spend that much at McDonalds, and that doesn't include entertainment, lodging, and transportation.

For $75 a day, I'll sleep on a towel on the floor of the janitors closet. Maybe it's just me. I wouldn't complain about my mattress being 6 inches closer to the ground than my room mate's. It just doesn't matter.

When you book a cabin for three people you should be provided with beds for three people. period. We've been through this and have discovered a couple of times that Carnival's deck plans aren't always accurate about the configuration of the cabin or the number of beds. Twice it didn't matter because the rooms did not have fewer beds. The last time on the Victory it was a bit of a problem since our cabin for three only had twin beds and no pullman. The housekeeping staff was having a crisis and said they were out of rollaway beds. They tried a trundle frame but it was too short for any of the three kids (all actually adults). Eventually they located a rollaway, but when they set it up in the cabin the kids couldn't get to the bathroom without crawling over the rollaway. We got it fixed eventually by upgrading them to a balcony cabin that only had two beds, but one of them slept on the couch with their feet hanging off the edge. It wasn't optimal but it worked better than having wall to wall beds.

I don't think there is any excuse for someone having to sleep on a mattress on the floor. It wouldn't fly at a hotel, so why should it be acceptable just because we are on a ship? If Carnival made it clear at the time of booking, that a three bed cabin might mean someone sleeps on the floor or a rollaway or a trundle, that would be different. It is a pretty unpleasant surprise to get dealt when you walk into your cabin.

They make it pretty clear which cabins have bunks and which don't. If you book more than two in a cabin without bunks, you're gonna get a rollaway or trundle.

This is NOT a mattress on the floor.

It is a mattress on a strap frame. We have slept on them for 12 years (every since we started cruising with the whole family). We sleep 4 to a cabin and our special needs son could not sleep in an Upper.

They are very comfortable.

Btw, this was not required......the OP could have booked a cabin with Uppers.....

The point everyone is missing is that Carnival has never to my knowledge said anything about putting mattresses on the floor. It was never told to us or even on the website there was no mendion of a matress on the floor or even a roll-away bed in the room. We booked the cruise through Carnival itself. And yes I paid the full price for a 3rd person in the cabin.

was the mattress on a frame?

I disagree. Last year on the Fantasy, for the 1st time due to low funds we booked an inside guarantee. Got our cabin assignment a few weeks before the cruise.

Cabin looked okay on the deck plans...but when we got on the ship there was a huge square pole right in the middle. Sure wasn't on the deck plans, anywhere. CCL's or others. Or I would have refused the cabin.

With the bed configured for a couple...there was barely room to squeeze between it and the vanity and the head of the bed was just in mid air...no head board. So your pillows fell off in the middle of the night.

I did complain..twice...told they could do nothing. Why do they ALWAYS say the ship is full, no empty cabins? I don't believe them.

We dealt with it, we laughed about it and we had fun filled cruise.

But I will never ever book another cabin without picking it out myself.

As for sleeping on a mattress on the floor...no way in h-e-double hockey sticks!!

Now THAT would be unacceptable!!

Who was he? Did he stay with you the entire time??? That would have been awkward, espessially him being so huge! Maybe he was a new crewmember?? How was his english? Did he tell you what part of Poland was he from?

Although I have to say, no matter how nerdy he was, I don't agree on you calling him square.... Tsk, tsk....:(

I always thought the cruise line put a limit on how many cabins are designated for three or four people and once that quota is met they no longer will take reservations for multiple parties. That being said, if this is true there should be no reason why someone would end up on the floor, because they should know ahead of time how many cots or pull down beds are available.

There was another thread that someone had a guarantee and got assigned a cabin with a trundle or rollaway.

Iv seen that trundle bed!!! It rolls under one of the regular beds, so yes it is low to the ground. I picked my cabin, so I changed to a quad to make sure I didnt get one. Im not sleeping down that low, but I was willing to pay for picking my cabin.

The OP surely saw the deckplans ahead of time?? (or should have looked). If they didnt find out what the 3rd bed was ahead of time, then they are partially to blame. A lot of complaining lately about 3rd beds. ... ah the joys of cruising during summer.

Sounds like Carnival had a problem ....first time Iv ever heard of them running out of frames. I would have complained on the ship ...

we had a trundle bed on the Fascination last year. I must say, I was shocked when we walked in and saw a cot on the floor. DH did complain about it, but then we realized we had family across the hall and we really didn't pay that much for the cruise, so we didnt press the issue too hard. Unfortunately, it was for my DS who is over 6' tall. Since I was the shortest, he got to share a bed with his dad, and I got the cot. I get motion sick and, fortunately, being closer to the floor helped a good bit. I think I slept better on the cot than on any other cruise we have been on.

I understand the guarantee. My point is that something going wrong shouldnt get to the point that a passenger has to get off the ship. It should be resolved by the person hired to resolve it. If it has to go up the ladder or a person has to threaten to invoke the guarnatee, then there is something wrong with the resolution process or wrong with the people who should have resolved it when it was first brought to their attention.

I agree 100%. With rare exceptions, who would actually get off the ship?

CCL knows this and their marketing department knows this. I look forward several months for my cruise and it would have to be a complete trainwreck before I would give up on a cruise.

CCL hammered these people and should be accomodated somehow. Next thing you know they'll be supplying sleeping bags.

Now in saying that, everyone in here is supporting my choice to never go over 2 in a cabin (to me with exception of small children). It's a real PITA and I prefer some reasonable comfort when I'm on a cruise, not a camping experience. IMHO, 2 people in a standard cabin is cozy enough, I can't imagine 3 or 4 adults on cots, mattresses on floor, whatever.

I agree 100%. With rare exceptions, who would actually get off the ship?

We came "this" close to getting off the Dream. We had a really bad situation with our cabin, and there were no other available cabins...so we really had no other option.

Had Daniella (Guest Relations) not kept at it, trying to get the situation resolved with Housekeeping (they argued with her and would not accommodate her requests), there is no way we could have stayed in that cabin an entire week.

Archived