watch out bed on the floor 08/16/2010

Now THAT would be unacceptable!!

Who was he? Did he stay with you the entire time??? That would have been awkward, espessially him being so huge! Maybe he was a new crewmember?? How was his english? Did he tell you what part of Poland was he from?

Although I have to say, no matter how nerdy he was, I don't agree on you calling him square.... Tsk, tsk....:(

Click on my link for the Fantasy reveiw and you can see big square pole for yourself. :D:D picks are at the end.

If he had been round we might have had some fun. :eek:

We came "this" close to getting off the Dream. We had a really bad situation with our cabin, and there were no other available cabins...so we really had no other option.

Had Daniella (Guest Relations) not kept at it, trying to get the situation resolved with Housekeeping (they argued with her and would not accommodate her requests), there is no way we could have stayed in that cabin an entire week.

what cabin? gonna be on the Dream 10/16. What was the problem?

I would NOT sleep on the floor...I think I would have gotten off the ship 1st port and rebooked another time.

I always thought the cruise line put a limit on how many cabins are designated for three or four people and once that quota is met they no longer will take reservations for multiple parties. That being said, if this is true there should be no reason why someone would end up on the floor, because they should know ahead of time how many cots or pull down beds are available.

you know if nothing else seems like they could have borrowed a frame from another CCL ship at the 1st port? Promising that and some OBC would have eased the pain. I'm sure they could have called ahead to be sure they had one.

Carnival Fascination: when I arrived at my cabin I had a bed on the floor. We had 2 twin beds pushed together and a mattress on the floor. I complained but it did no good. They were suppose to bring me a roll-away bed but they were out of them due to the cruise being sold out and they said they had alot of handicap people on board. I am a past guest and have always been happy with Carnival. Carnival has went too far with their cut backs. Carnival is suppose to be a fun ship, it wasn't too much fun sleeping on the floor.

I'm not an expert on Carnival but I have never heard of them putting a mattress on the floor. How many people did you have booked in the room? Did you think you were booking a room with extra beds? There are rooms with the beds that come down out of the ceiling. Sorry you were disappointed. Did you take any photos? I would love to see what a mattress on the floor looked like and where they put it. I'm stunned! But, like others have said, it's better than sleeping on the floor but I would have been upset as well.

Sorry about the frustration, I would not have liked sleeping on the floor either without a frame on the bed.

If you complained to the room steward and got no where, then the next stop should have been the hotel director. His or her name used to be printed on the front page of the capers, not sure if it is on the fun times or not.

How many times did you complain and how far up the chain did you attempt to go?

I would not have liked to be on the floor either, that is too close to the bed bugs, and after you put your suit cases under the bed, it would be very uncomfortable.

I believe that can also be called a trundle bed. Would it push up under the bed at night. I would not mind this at all. In fact we have a room like this on our cruise. I am here to Cruise not sleep. So you were upset and they did not remedy your complaint.

Same thing in our 8/14 Elation sailing with 4 people. Here's a pic. I was also upset since I paid a good rate for the 4th at 259 for a 5 day when my senior citizen parents paid 249 for 1 and 2nd pax for an inside. Oh and this wasn't big enough for the 10 year old as THIS is a toddler bed meant for a crib.

CruiseSummer2010009.jpg

They did not add the extra section to it.

That makes it more or less a twin size.

My question is, what is an acceptible distance from the floor before people stop getting off the ship in protest before the cruise is over? Seriously? 6''? 12"? 18"? If it makes a difference, a rat, or a bedbug, is perfectly comfortable with those heights. And where's the rat threads? Y'all know there's rats on ships, right? Didn't you see Titanic?

Similar to Conchead when we took a cruise with our kids on the imagination we had a room with two pullmans but the room steward brought us the matress with the floor frame for our 2 year old to sleep on instead of putting her up above us. I really thought of it as a great customer service move, they knew it would be safer for her to lay on the floor than on the pullman. Guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm sure carnival is cutting back like all companies are. But don't hate on the little floor matresses they're comfy and safe for little ones.

I agree having a bed on the floor for little ones is good so they don't fall out of uppers but I believe OP had an adult sleeping in it. I think I would be a little miffed too, however, I believe the problem would not have happened if OP had picked a cabin number with proper bed configuration. Sounds like they booked guarantee so you are stuck with whatever is left which can be slim pickins I'm afraid.

I think Carnival does a great job providing comprehensive deck plans with stateroom accommodations with a legend for all their rooms, all their ships.

Their deck plans aren't always right. Last year on one of our trips on the Elation, we booked cabin R207. If you look on the deck plans it is a room for 2. We got onboard and because of some surgery on my back, I couldn't handle side to side rocking but could do head to toe rocking so we had the beds split so mine would face sideways. So far no problem. The cabin had a fold down berth and with me in the bed right below it I kept hitting the upper even though it was folded up, it stuck out quite a bit. We went to the guest relations desk and they told me I was wrong that there was no upper in that cabin! Their floor plans didn't show it so it didn't exist :eek:

I told them to go look in my cabin and after insisting they do so, they finally sent someone down to look and reported back to the desk with a - you ought to see this, they really do have an upper in here - kind of response. They said they were booked and had no other cabin to move us to, and when they finally let me suggest a simple fix they promptly took care of it and we were happy. The fix I suggested was to take an extra mattress and stand it up against the wall so the bed was moved away enough so I wouldn't hit the upper, yet I was able to back in against it and sleep without doing any damage to my back. Also, this cruise was when Hurricane Jimena hit Mexico and we did bounce around a bit, so being able to sleep with the beds split was very important for me.

The funny part, if you go to the Elation deck plans and look at R207, it shows the cabin without any fold-down bunks, although there are cabins with a fold-down on either side. So either the map is wrong, or they have removed the extra berth (which I doubt). When I was at Guest relations, they showed me on the large floorplans on the wall behind them that there was no extra berth in that cabin.

So, Carnival's deck plans aren't 100% correct.

That is the smallest mattress I've ever seen.

STA71087.jpg

OMG NOW I KNOW WHAT THAT'S FOR!!

We found one under our bed on the Inspiration and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what it was!! We asked our steward but I couldn't really understand what he was trying to explain

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

OMG NOW I KNOW WHAT THAT'S FOR!!

We found one under our bed on the Inspiration and couldn't, for the life of me, figure out what it was!! We asked our steward but I couldn't really understand what he was trying to explain

Sorry, back to the regularly scheduled thread.

So, what's it for? 'Cause I really can't figure it out.

If the mattress had been on a cot, then how would you have stepped over them? It sounds like the floor option was the best option...at least you can step over.

On all the cruises I have been on, they have pullman beds if you have more people in the room. I wonder why you didn't book a pullman room?

Why would you wonder WHY they didn't book a pullman room>

they booked a room with a rollaway and they didn't get the rollaway

do people here even read the original post before they comment??

as for the OP>>> yes I would be upset also

a rollaway would "roll away" in the day and be easier to use the room to dress, have a snack etc....then have the bed out at night

a mattress on the floor would be hard to get around

I don't see how disabled people on board would need rollaways and I think that was a bogus answer to appease you,....I would personally have "gone up the chain of command" to complain

Unless you booked this cruise at the very last minute they sure should have had your rollaway in place. I would not be happy and I can see why you were unhappy. Please let us know what results, if any, you are able to get...good luck

A cruise ship is NOT "like a hotel">> hotels have people spontaneously come and ask for a room, they can accept walk ins if they are not full

they can add extra people (not above the fire marshall capacity but they would be able to add extras)

a cruise is booked and paid for months in advance....yes there are last minute deals but the cruise ship is capacity controlled

they should have the required extra beds/frames right there

they can't take more cruisers than their stated capacity

MY guess is that some body didn't want to sleep in a bunk and whined and got the OP's rollaway

The amount of misinformation here is astounding

I always thought the cruise line put a limit on how many cabins are designated for three or four people and once that quota is met they no longer will take reservations for multiple parties. That being said, if this is true there should be no reason why someone would end up on the floor, because they should know ahead of time how many cots or pull down beds are available.

Cruiselines, just like hotels and airlines ALWAYS overbook. There have been threads on the very subject. So yes, they know that they are booking more people on board then there are beds. The industry relies on a certain number of passengers who will cancel at the last minute. Sounds like in the OP's case, they didn't have enough passengers cancel. It happens.

As for the whole "the mattress was on the floor" comments, as long as it's on a frame (someone posted pics), I really don't see what the problem is. Now if it's really just a think mat on the floor, that is completely unacceptable.

Just my 2 cents. :) Let's all remember why we come read and post here...we all love cruising.

:eek::eek::eek: THATS LOOK CHEAP....WHATS NEXT???MATRASS OUTSIDE YOUR ROOM???

Actually, those photos look absolutely acceptable to me. All three were mattresses with a support frame. "CHEAP" is what is in the persons mind when boooking more than 2 people in a room to save money from booking a separate room.

The 3-4th person cost is not the FULL share price so if sacrifices are needed oh well. How much time is actually spent in the room anyway?

Now if this was just a "mattress only" on the floor I could see issues, but at least it is still a bed...... just saying

... yes I would be upset also

a rollaway would "roll away" in the day and be easier to use the room to dress, have a snack etc....then have the bed out at night

a mattress on the floor would be hard to get around

The mattress on a low bed frame does go away during the day. It gets slid under the bed. I'm sure even a mattress on the floor would, but if the OP did not get a bedframe for the mattress that would unacceptable in my book. If the room steward left the "bed" in the middle of the room, there should have been a report filed on that too.

We have had that same set-up years back when are kids were young & we were trying to keep us all in one cabin. I must admit, initially that low trundle bed frame did look odd to me. But when it came to sleeping, it was not any more inconvenient to get around during the night than it was trying to walk past a mattress on a high cot bed frame. If anything, having it slid under the bed during the day was better than having a folded up cot in the room during the day. Again, the big point here for me is if it was just a mattress on the floor (seems dirty to me) or a frame, regardless of height.

Cruiselines, just like hotels and airlines ALWAYS overbook. There have been threads on the very subject. So yes, they know that they are booking more people on board then there are beds. The industry relies on a certain number of passengers who will cancel at the last minute. Sounds like in the OP's case, they didn't have enough passengers cancel. It happens.

As for the whole "the mattress was on the floor" comments, as long as it's on a frame (someone posted pics), I really don't see what the problem is. Now if it's really just a think mat on the floor, that is completely unacceptable.

Just my 2 cents. :) Let's all remember why we come read and post here...we all love cruising.

While we may all love cruising apparently many don't even read what is posted

the picture of the mattress with frame was NOT posted by the OP

that was posted by someone who had a regular (with frame) rollaway bed

the OP says their mattress was on the FLOOR

Actually, those photos look absolutely acceptable to me. All three were mattresses with a support frame. "CHEAP" is what is in the persons mind when boooking more than 2 people in a room to save money from booking a separate room.

The 3-4th person cost is not the FULL share price so if sacrifices are needed oh well. How much time is actually spent in the room anyway?

Now if this was just a "mattress only" on the floor I could see issues, but at least it is still a bed...... just saying

Again....read the whole thread....the pictures were NOT of the "mattress on the floor">> the pics are of a normal rollaway , what the OP was promised and didn't get <sigh>

Wow! I think that is a horrible story. I would be seriously irritated if I had a mattress on the floor, or even worse a 3 inch pad! I think I would seriously consider taking up on Carnival's Cruise Guarantee (if they still have it) and get off at the first port.

I truly think a bed or a bunk is a prerequisite for any type of lodging accomodation. I don't think it is too much to ask of Carnival to provide each paying passenger with some type of bed, be it a roll-away, a bunk or a cot.

It surprises me how many posters think this is fine.

Me too ! Theres always been alot of cheerleaders on here thou

Wow! I think that is a horrible story. I would be seriously irritated if I had a mattress on the floor, or even worse a 3 inch pad! I think I would seriously consider taking up on Carnival's Cruise Guarantee (if they still have it) and get off at the first port.

I truly think a bed or a bunk is a prerequisite for any type of lodging accomodation. I don't think it is too much to ask of Carnival to provide each paying passenger with some type of bed, be it a roll-away, a bunk or a cot.

It surprises me how many posters think this is fine.

I agree completely. I thinks it gross and uncalled for. They knew before sailing how many passengers were on board. Someone screwed up big time. I wouldn't want to lie on the floor looking under the "good" bed.

On my last cruise, I was on the floor of my cabin. :eek: It was a 1-A and had a twin bed frame with a mattress on top. The second night, I guess I was turning and tossing a lot and, each time I would do that, the mattress (which was apparently not secured to the bed) would scoot an inch or two without my knowing it. At about 4 a.m. it had scooted enough to get overbalanced and I found myself dumped on the floor in a space about 18 inches wide between the bed frame and the wall of the cabin. Then the mattress came crashing down on top of me. It took me about 20 minutes to finally work my way out from under the mattress in the dark and get up and put the bed back together again. After that, for the rest of the week, every time I would roll over, I would reach and make sure the mattress hadn't moved.

It never occurred to me to scream and complain and whine to anyone about it or demand OBC or future-cruise credit or to be let off at the next stop. Stuff happens and even when I was trying to get out from under the mattress in the pitch dark, I was laughing at the absurdity of it all.

It was such a bizarre situation that about half the people in my group that heard about it would, once they quit roaring with laughter, accused me of making the whole thing up. It became referred to as The Attack of the Killer Mattress. :D

Despite that mishap and a few bruises resulting from it, I still had an excellent cruise and a great time.:)

What does it matter that it is her first post? The question was asked as to why the person would care and they responded. That is her right on these blogs and no one should be put down for their opinion.

She is absolutely right. I would be ticked off if I paid that much money and had a bed on the floor.

Some of you CC members are really starting to get on everyone's nerves with your lack of respect for others comments. Why don't you stick to responding to the question or commenting on someone's story rather then putting other people down.

I totally agree with you.

Archived