Interesting thing about bathrooms etc

UK_Cruiser

Before the launch there was lots of panicking and people throwing their toys out of the pram regarding the new style bathroom layout, even following the very first cruise there was a little bit of people making a massive deal out of the shallowness of the sink in the room.

Have you all noticed how this has all died down now ? In the last month I don't recall anyone that has sailed making a big deal of it.

Just goes to show sometimes peeople really do worry about nothing.

Before the launch there was lots of panicking and people throwing their toys out of the pram regarding the new style bathroom layout, even following the very first cruise there was a little bit of people making a massive deal out of the shallowness of the sink in the room.

Have you all noticed how this has all died down now ? In the last month I don't recall anyone that has sailed making a big deal of it.

I noticed that too. Well said 

Could it have been brand-new posters who had never been on ship, never planned to go on ship, running a concerted campaign to denigrate the ship?

For whatever reason?

And then eventually thanks to a few vocal pro-NCL people :D they finally gave up? And then future reviews confirmed what those vocal pro-NCL people had said, in the first place? ;)

Could it have been brand-new posters who had never been on ship, never planned to go on ship, running a concerted campaign to denigrate the ship?

For whatever reason?

And then eventually thanks to a few vocal pro-NCL people :D they finally gave up? And then future reviews confirmed what those vocal pro-NCL people had said, in the first place? ;)

Could Be ;)

Mike you are a brave man to mention the b word on this forum. :eek:

Looking forward to making my own assessment in 7 days but not anticipating a b******m related issue.

Neil

Neil

I know there will be no issues with bathrooms for me.

I am wondering if there will be issues when I walk butt naked onto my open air 8th deck balcony though

I'll give you a wave :)

Neil

I am wondering if there will be issues when I walk butt naked onto my open air 8th deck balcony though

I'll wave at you on my way off - your way on the ship!!

Honestly-I think it because anyone who mentions the "B" word here gets flamed - so they have stopped.

lol... modesty apparetnly wasn't an issue for a young lady on the 13th deck. At one point, while at sea, I looked down towards the lifeboats (interesting that almost all the rooftop speaker cones are damaged) and was met with a clear view of naked.

As for the b-room issue dying down... I think much of the discussion was due to the unknown/unexperienced. Now that many people have taken their cruises, the 'facts' are known and the speculation has diminished. Granted, people who have not yet departed on their cruise may still have concerns whether they believe those who have sailed or not.

Actually, I like the layout of the new bathrooms. More storage space (installed quite a few shelves on the mirrors), and with the toilet "caddy-corner" it gives more room to walk in.

FYI - I learned something on the last trip. If you are in an Aft balcony, the drainage isn't as good, so we flooded the floor of our bathroom almost everyday from taking showers. My father (ex-Navy man) said that's because of the way drainage is set up on the ship.

Felt bad that the steward had to clean this up everyday :(

Possible answers to your question:

1. Maybe people have come on here and explained the unusual arrangement so that cruisers now are better prepared for their experiences

2. Maybe the topic has just been beated to death and people who find it fine or those who had a problem just don't want to rehash the same ole same ole...

My experience was that I adapted to the situation - just like 99% of people do. The difference was in what to 'expect'. Let's be honest this split bathroom is probably the most unique aspect (other than the Ice Bar) of this ship, that and the wavy wall. I sailed the Epic having done a Princess and S-Class Celebrity so I compared the split design to the traditional. I prefer the traditional bathroom design and didn't like the curtain issue.

Now having said that I recently did a 3-day cruise on an older and smaller ship and hated that traditional bathroom with the curtain in the shower area. So it's relative.

The whole 'germ issue' was, in my opinion blown out of proportion. The privacy issue is what I didn't like - but then again different strokes for different folks...

Possible answers to your question:

1. Maybe people have come on here and explained the unusual arrangement so that cruisers now are better prepared for their experiences

2. Maybe the topic has just been beated to death and people who find it fine or those who had a problem just don't want to rehash the same ole same ole...

My experience was that I adapted to the situation - just like 99% of people do. The difference was in what to 'expect'. Let's be honest this split bathroom is probably the most unique aspect (other than the Ice Bar) of this ship, that and the wavy wall. I sailed the Epic having done a Princess and S-Class Celebrity so I compared the split design to the traditional. I prefer the traditional bathroom design and didn't like the curtain issue.

Now having said that I recently did a 3-day cruise on an older and smaller ship and hated that traditional bathroom with the curtain in the shower area. So it's relative.

The whole 'germ issue' was, in my opinion blown out of proportion . The privacy issue is what I didn't like - but then again different strokes for different folks...

The whole Bathroom issue was, in my opinion, blown out of proportion

Neil

I'm on deck 9.....I'll be watching for ya......;-)

The whole Bathroom issue was, in my opinion, blown out of proportion

For you yes it may have been. For others it was, and remains, a valid concern.

For myself it was just...different.

I've noticed that some people just go with the flow on everything - I work with someone and the expression, like water off a duck, applies to her - NOTHING bothers her. Another worker is the exact opposite and she gets into a tizzy when a chart doesn't have every "i" dotted and every "t" crossed.

I understand both sides of the coin - just because something doesn't bother/affect you doesn't mean it isn't an issue to someone else.

Another example would be the Cirque show; you've alread written that it isn't your cup of tea and you won't waste your time/money on that show. I on the other hand enjoyed it and if I were to sail on the Epic would pay the fees to see it again.

For you yes it may have been. For others it was, and remains, a valid concern.

For myself it was just...different.

I've noticed that some people just go with the flow on everything - I work with someone and the expression, like water off a duck, applies to her - NOTHING bothers her. Another worker is the exact opposite and she gets into a tizzy when a chart doesn't have every "i" dotted and every "t" crossed.

I understand both sides of the coin - just because something doesn't bother/affect you doesn't mean it isn't an issue to someone else.

Another example would be the Cirque show; you've alread written that it isn't your cup of tea and you won't waste your time/money on that show. I on the other hand enjoyed it and if I were to sail on the Epic would pay the fees to see it again.

Oh well you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Especially the permanently grumpy ones

The Bathroom issue was never really a concern for me. However, I am surprised that more people haven't expressed concern with the lack of width space in the room from concept pictures to what it actually became. The concept pictures show A LOT of width in the room between the sink and bed area. What happened to that. Even though I haven't cruised yet and I know I will have a great time, I am probably most disappointed in this aspect. everything else looks terrific.

Mike you are a brave man to mention the b word on this forum. :eek:

Looking forward to making my own assessment in 7 days but not anticipating a b******m related issue.

Neil

So... did you notice what you ended up with there after removing most of the letters? hee hee I guess either 'word' could refer to the same potential issue!! :p

I say hallelujah the potty talk is over!!

As for 'anyone who said anything about it got flamed', all I can do is laugh. Could the same not be said for anyone who said they liked it? I saw some really ignorant and obnoxious comments directed at the so-called 'cheerleaders' (as usual, but those aren't 'flames' apparently). It's a public forum; if you don't want anyone to disagree with what you're saying, don't post it here. Someone stating a different opinion is NOT a flame. Someone pointing out that someone else's post is inaccurate, misinformed, or outright false, based on provided information, is NOT a flame. I'm SO SICK of seeing this garbage - wahhhhhh, all I did was tell the TRUTH and I got flamed by the big bad cheerleaders!!:( Posting on a public forum is an open invitation to anyone who wants to reply. If you're just looking for sycophantic agreement, this is NOT the place for it.:cool:

CanadianTwosome...You are soooooo right! That is why I have "Zeno" quoted in my signature!

As to the bathrooms (yeah, I said it)....

The one part of the whole thing that I find interesting is that the Sleeping/Bathroom Area in the main part of the Penthouse Cabins on the Jewel-Class Ships is very similar to what is on Epic...

...AND NOBODY EVER SAID ONE SINGLE WORD ABOUT IT IN ALL THE YEARS THAT NCL HAS HAD THESE SHIPS IN THE FLEET!

The Bathroom issue was never really a concern for me. However, I am surprised that more people haven't expressed concern with the lack of width space in the room from concept pictures to what it actually became. The concept pictures show A LOT of width in the room between the sink and bed area. What happened to that. Even though I haven't cruised yet and I know I will have a great time, I am probably most disappointed in this aspect. everything else looks terrific.

true... the lack of floor did bother me a little but only when multiple people were on the move getting ready for something. I thought I was just spoiled from our last cruise where we had a grand suite on a RCL ship. We adopted a 'one at a time' strategy for those who were not in the shower or crapper. I could shower while my wife did her teeth and hair at the sink and the kids were out of the way on the bed (we folded the bunk up for room). By the time I was done in the shower, my wife was done and parked on the bed or had gone to one of our other cabins and we would just rotate through until everyone was ready to go.

Other than that... we spent very little time in the room so it really wasn't an issue.

Actually, I like the layout of the new bathrooms. More storage space (installed quite a few shelves on the mirrors), and with the toilet "caddy-corner" it gives more room to walk in.

FYI - I learned something on the last trip. If you are in an Aft balcony, the drainage isn't as good, so we flooded the floor of our bathroom almost everyday from taking showers. My father (ex-Navy man) said that's because of the way drainage is set up on the ship.

Felt bad that the steward had to clean this up everyday :(

What cabin were you in??? This is the first I've heard of flooding from the shower. We have booked an aft BA on deck 9 for October.

Just got off the Epic today after a wonderful vacation! We stayed in connecting aft cabins (13280 & 13282). Yes, we experienced some drainage issues in the showers, but discovered if the water wasn't turned on full blast, the water didn't pool up as much.

Look, I know there are people who liked the bathroom setup. Yes, the shower stall is large, so is the toilet area. However, drying off in the foyer of your cabin behind a curtain is not a great setup. When you're looking for your powder, deodorant, body cream & other hygiene products you are now reaching on the other side of the curtain where the sink & medicine cabinet is. (Ladies will understand this more, trust me). Furthermore, all your wet towels are hung on hooks and your used pool towels become part of your daily cabin decor.

The area around the sink was extremely clean because I was always wiping it dry after using it. I'm not talking major flooding but it was difficult to wash my makeup off and splash water on my face without it spilling over to the sides or on my toes. The sink is silly (too small) and to make matters worse, the faucet was blocking half of it. This wouldn't be such a big issue if the water dripping on the floor was in a separate room, but it's not. It's dripping in the living area of your cabin.

We all got used to the bathroom setup, no one became grumpy over it and it would not deter me from sailing on the Epic again. However, I didn't love this particular part of our cruise experience.

We all got used to the bathroom setup' date=' no one became grumpy over it and it would not deter me from sailing on the Epic again. However, I didn't love this particular part of our cruise experience.[/quote']

Um...don't you know you're not supposed to talk about the bathrooms?:rolleyes:

Archived