Problem with Porters

Cruisin 4 Ever

Like it or not those people work for and expect to be tipped. It is not a bad idea to slip them at least $5. You will have a much better chance of seeing your Bags again (at your Stateroom). Think of it as cheap insurance.

Do not do what I did once. I gave the porter a $100 bill thinking it was a $10. He of course pocketed it with a big smile. (No I didn't realize what I had done until later) At least my baggage arrived right on time!

I've always heard that the porter's are union employees. They probably make a good wage and don't NEED tips unlike the ship stewards and waitstaff!!

I've always heard that the porter's are union employees. They probably make a good wage and don't NEED tips unlike the ship stewards and waitstaff!!

That is a common misconception that will never go away because there are people on these boards who are too stubborn to listen to the truth. They think they know more than the people actually doing the job.

As I said earlier, my BIL is a porter in Miami, so I know this stuff. Yes, the port employees are mostly union workers. These workers consist of truck drivers, crane operators, line handlers, etc. However, the cruise ship porter duties are 1 of 2 people. They are either the regular port workers who are picking up extra shifts to make a little extra cash, or they are outside persons hired just for these duties, and are non-union (not that that makes a difference). Either way, the porter duties are not a salary position, at least, not in Miami. They are 100% tips and, like waiters, are required to claim a certain percentage of those tips. Yes, like restaurants, it is your option if and what to tip. But tipping is still the right thing to do.

As for the "union" thing, why are people coupling that with great salary? Most of these men's annual salaries are between 25-40k, and with the cost of living in S. Florida, that is not a high salary.

But I digress. The naysayers will go on thinking they know everything.

If I'm with family or a group, I'll usually set all our bags on a porter's cart and give a good tip (at least $2 a bag, but not less than $20) asking the porter to please take these right in. I prefer to single out one porter for the bags and not allow a grab of bags from various and sundry takers. Even if it's just two of us.... I may do much the same. So far..... haven't missed a bag, and they all find their way quickly to the stateroom.

When alone I still tip, but without the "express" instructions.

Works for me. I try not to overthink whys or wherefores, but am very appreciative of the hard work of the porters in the crush of travelers.

That is a common misconception that will never go away because there are people on these boards who are too stubborn to listen to the truth. They think they know more than the people actually doing the job.

As I said earlier, my BIL is a porter in Miami, so I know this stuff. Yes, the port employees are mostly union workers. These workers consist of truck drivers, crane operators, line handlers, etc. However, the cruise ship porter duties are 1 of 2 people. They are either the regular port workers who are picking up extra shifts to make a little extra cash, or they are outside persons hired just for these duties, and are non-union (not that that makes a difference). Either way, the porter duties are not a salary position, at least, not in Miami. They are 100% tips and, like waiters, are required to claim a certain percentage of those tips. Yes, like restaurants, it is your option if and what to tip. But tipping is still the right thing to do.

As for the "union" thing, why are people coupling that with great salary? Most of these men's annual salaries are between 25-40k, and with the cost of living in S. Florida, that is not a high salary.

40k to toss luggage around? I'd call that a good salary for a completely unskilled position.

The first time I ever took a cruise I was soo excited. We had a bus from the airport. We had to wait for the bus driver to line up all of our luggage to take over to the terminal. SOme porters helped him get the luggage off the bus. We were fainlly let off the bus, I couldn't wait to grab my bags and get to the terminal!! We walked over to the luggage, grabbed our bags and headed toward the terminal. A porter started screaming at me like a maniac yelling "where's my tip" "I took your bag off the bus". He made a huge scene. That was when I learned that you are supposed to tip porters. I could have understood if he brought my bags from the bus to the terminal, and I had tipped the bus driver, but we brought the bags to the terminal - more like an airport, and they took them from there.

Why are they allowed to treat customers like that?

Anyone else had something similar happen?

Cant say I've ever had any issues. On our first cruise our TA had us well prepared to tip the porters. I always tip then well, usually $10. dont want any of my luggage to go AWOL.

40k to toss luggage around? I'd call that a good salary for a completely unskilled position.

Wow, that is a pretty good salary in my opinion. My daughter has her master degree in education and teaches Native American children and her salary is half of that, she could only dream of making 40K.

I have never had a porter demand a tip or did I ever feel threatned by them. Why is everyone worried that you luggage will turn up missing?

I am sure that it has happened but it cannot be that common. All the porters that I have dealt with have been very nice and helpfull.

I just got off a cruise on the Solstice last week in Fort Lauderdale.

Upon arrival to the terminal out bags were pulled off the rental car shuttle and I gave the driver a tip. Instantly a porter came up and did his spiel "We appreciate your tips". The luggage carts were not 5 feet from the shuttle. I question the need to hand someone a few bucks to move luggage that distance then have someone else move the full luggage carts to the terminal. I think the fact that they are in your face quite quickly when you arrive and most feel a bit lost as to what to do so they feel obligated to give something so as to not be embarrassed.

After the cruise was done I saw many a porter hauling large amounts of luggage form the terminal. It was quite amazing how many pieces they could fit on those carts. I would definitely tip for something like that. I was watching one porter standing around talking to other porters that had loaded carts-He kept flashing his wad off cash from his pocket-(presumably his tips??) to the other porters. I just get the sense that some of them feel there is some sense of entitlement to an automatic tip regardless of the situation. Other porters I have dealt with in the past I have had no real issues with.

On the way out to the taxis, I was not 10 ft from a taxi and heading directly to one that was waiting ,when I hit a line of 3 or 4 taxi porters who insisted on taking our 3 bags the next 10 feet. I was more than capable of doing it myself but it was like I could not get around them without handing them my luggage. It was weird. I helped load the 3 bags in the trunk of the cab said thank you and went into the cab with my wife. No tip. Again for me it depends on the circumstance that one receives at tip from me. I am by no means a cheapskate.

BTW-My luggage made it to my cabin with no problems.

Wow, that is a pretty good salary in my opinion. My daughter has her master degree in education and teaches Native American children and her salary is half of that, she could only dream of making 40K.

No. You misunderstood. Please re-read my post. 40k is the high end of the scale and it's for port workers in their primary positions, not porter work.

If you were kept on the bus while bags were unloaded how the heck were you to know who unloaded them?

I've had no issues with porters when I cruised...actually LOVED the service I got while disembarking my first cruise in Miami. I totally forgot what color my luggage tag was...I knew it was green or purple and those colors were at different areas so the porter checked one while I checked the other. He found my bag...thanked me for my great description...then he lead me to the front of the customs lines and right out to a waiting taxi...so I could get to WORK :mad:.

My only issue has been from various port employees yelling at me when I attempt to pick up or drop off my friend who worked on a ship out of Miami. Very annoying...one would say not here...pull up there...I pull up there...and the next person is saying not here...omg this is taking longer than just letting her get out of the car already...so now I just ignore, drop her off and go...they usually shut up once she is out and they see we're not opening the trunk to unload anything.

Make up your mind, is it salary or tips?

Heres what I've found, it pays pretty good for unskilled labor:

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Baggage_Porter_or_Bellhop/Hourly_Rate

Not too sure about the cruise situation as I have not experienced it yet! BUT with waiters and such I know they get angry if you dont tip BUT in reality tipping is a courtisy, not a requirement and if they dont do a good job they dont get tipped. I was screamed at once for leaving a $2 tip for a $20 meal. I should have gotten the tip back and told her she really didnt deserve the 10%. As far as Porters I WILL TIP cause I dont want my luggage lost. lol

Make up your mind, is it salary or tips?

What part of my post confused you? Primary jobs at port (truck driver, crane operator, etc) = salary. Porter duties = tips. I thought I explained it pretty clearly.

And to make one more thing clear - I am only referring to Port of Miami because that is the only place I have a connection to.

that is a common misconception that will never go away because there are people on these boards who are too stubborn to listen to the truth. They think they know more than the people actually doing the job.

As i said earlier, my bil is a porter in miami, so i know this stuff. Yes, the port employees are mostly union workers. These workers consist of truck drivers, crane operators, line handlers, etc. However, the cruise ship porter duties are 1 of 2 people. They are either the regular port workers who are picking up extra shifts to make a little extra cash, or they are outside persons hired just for these duties, and are non-union (not that that makes a difference). Either way, the porter duties are not a salary position, at least, not in miami. They are 100% tips and, like waiters, are required to claim a certain percentage of those tips. Yes, like restaurants, it is your option if and what to tip. But tipping is still the right thing to do.

As for the "union" thing, why are people coupling that with great salary? Most of these men's annual salaries are between 25-40k, and with the cost of living in s. Florida, that is not a high salary.

But i digress. The naysayers will go on thinking they know everything.

Porters, the subject of this thread: Tipped or salary?

At one point you tell us it is a tipped position, but then you refer to their salary.

Which is it?

Do you know the difference?

Porters, the subject of this thread: Tipped or salary?

At one point you tell us it is a tipped position, but then you refer to their salary.

Which is it?

Do you know the difference?

Ok, once again - and I'll type it slowly this time - their primary positions at the port are salary positions. When they pick up extra shifts as porters, it is for tips.

Seriously. What is so hard to understand about that?

we travel by train. tip the handler to put luggage on train (3 pieces) $5

tip the person helping us on train $5.

tip the server for lunch $5.

tip the person helping us off train $5.

tip the handler getting luggage off $5.

cab to hotel tip cabbie $5 (only 2 miles)

tip bell hop bring luggage to room $5.

leave tip for hotel maid $5

tip bell hop taking luggage to shuttle $5

tip shuttle person to take luggage off shuttle $5.

tip porter to get luggage on ship $5

total cost of tips to just get on the cruise $55

got $100 OBC so I am still ahead

only in America, but I would not move anywhere else Love American way of life and am grateful to live in such a wonderful place.

See you on a cruise soon.

PS we live on only SS, but are very frugal

I have no idea what cruises you people are going on, or from what ports you are cruising, but I have never been threatened by a porter.

The most rude, and undeserving porters I've ran into are out of the port of Miami.

Every time I cruise out of there I feel like I'm running the "Tip Me" gauntlet. I'm sorry, but when the bus driver unloads the bags, and places them next to the bins under the porters direction, the driver deserves the tip, not the porter. And by the way, the transfer contract states that the drivers tip is included in your fare. But, he will probably get an extra tip from me anyway, unless he starts the tip me too routine.

Like some else said, I cruise for me, not to support half of south Florida.

The whole tipping thing is silly, particularly in this situation. The posting a couple above (11 different tips before getting on the ship) is a good example of how far it can go.

Option 1 is you load your bags yourself. However, the porters are notorious for their intimidation if you try to do it. Imagine a porter at a hotel trying to get away with that intimidation. Option 2 is you just carry on your bags yourself. This is my preferred option. No waiting for your bags into the night. No risk of anything getting lost. Option 3 is you play their game and consider it a cost of the cruise.

In general, I don't let people touch my stuff and I carry my own things if I can. I'm as likely to be helping the bus driver haul the bags (all the bags, not just mine) out of the side of the bus as I am to be sitting waiting for it to be done for me. At a hotel, I carry my own bags up to my room. It's really not a big deal. And it's not because I don't want to pay a tip; it's because I'm not an invalid.

The whole tipping thing is silly, particularly in this situation. The posting a couple above (11 different tips before getting on the ship) is a good example of how far it can go.

Option 1 is you load your bags yourself. However, the porters are notorious for their intimidation if you try to do it. Imagine a porter at a hotel trying to get away with that intimidation. Option 2 is you just carry on your bags yourself. This is my preferred option. No waiting for your bags into the night. No risk of anything getting lost. Option 3 is you play their game and consider it a cost of the cruise.

In general, I don't let people touch my stuff and I carry my own things if I can. I'm as likely to be helping the bus driver haul the bags (all the bags, not just mine) out of the side of the bus as I am to be sitting waiting for it to be done for me. At a hotel, I carry my own bags up to my room. It's really not a big deal. And it's not because I don't want to pay a tip; it's because I'm not an invalid.

We drop off one bag with non-essentials that can get damaged or lost with no sadness.

We then carry on our needed bags. Makes for a little bother in the boarding process, but allows for more peace of mind.

Lets compare it to the wait staff on board ships. A waiter on the Dream got our orders totally wrong for lunch one day. Did he very nicely remove the food and bring us the correct food? Heck no. He stood at our table and yelled at us that it was our fault. Extremely rude. Was anything done to him? Heck no. Did I alter my tips? No. The waiter was made to apology to us. He did in a very sarcastic attitude. I feel to this day after lodging a complaint with Carnival not one thing was done. It just lets me know how much Carnival actually thinks of it customers.

Ok, once again - and I'll type it slowly this time - their primary positions at the port are salary positions. When they pick up extra shifts as porters, it is for tips.

Seriously. What is so hard to understand about that?

So it must be pretty lucrative if people will do it for tips only?

Federal law says a person in a tipped position must at least make minimum wage in tips, or the employer must make up the difference.

Minimum wage sounds about right for slinging baggage around.

I find it hard to believe that all those truck drivers, crane operators etc are salaried and not hourly wage positions, but you do have inside knowledge.

Type as slow as you want, maybe it will help you understand the difference.

So it must be pretty lucrative if people will do it for tips only?

Federal law says a person in a tipped position must at least make minimum wage in tips, or the employer must make up the difference.

Minimum wage sounds about right for slinging baggage around.

I find it hard to believe that all those truck drivers, crane operators etc are salaried and not hourly wage positions, but you do have inside knowledge.

Type as slow as you want, maybe it will help you understand the difference.

I don't know what your problem is or why you refuse to believe what I am telling you. I'll end it with I have a family member in the business and you do not. Who is more credible? Me. But, believe what you want. That seems to be the norm lately. Goodbye. :rolleyes:

I don't know what your problem is or why you refuse to believe what I am telling you. I'll end it with I have a family member in the business and you do not. Who is more credible? Me. But, believe what you want. That seems to be the norm lately. Goodbye. :rolleyes:

Because it gives them another excuse not to tip the porters if they believe that they are making a decent salary.

I remember at San Pedro last year one couple watched as a porter loaded bags from the shuttle we just arrived in. We all tipped the guy but these people just walked away expecting to have their bags delivedred to their stateroom (they were tagged properly) The porter ignored the bags and there they sat, on the sidewalk. I tried to talk to the porter but he said he wasn't picking up any bag he wasn't told to. I felt bad for the people and found a supervisor in the terninal and he did see that the suitcases were put on the ship. But he said they would have to be exrayed and opened. I wonder if those folks ever knew how close they came to losing their bags over a $3 tip.

Archived