Costa Serena comments please

Jo and Rob

We just got back from Costa Serena cruise around East Med. I was happy to leave most of it up to the travel agent but found it frustrating that I couldn't find much info re the drinks packages. So in case you are similarly interested, the drinks packages are shown to you while checking in. We got the 6 bottles of wine and 5 large bottles of water for Euro 99 (down from usual price of Euro 147). We also got water package of 13 large bottles for Euro 26. So this way we could have wine and sparkling water with dinner, and on the way out on a tour get a cold bottle of water. There were also 10 non-alcoholic for Euro 10, 4 wine & seven large water for Euro 69 down from Euro 107. Also, they told us not to get the water in the restaurant as they were small bottles, not sure what they meant as the bottles in the restaurant were large. For the excursions I suggest Bari: get off the boat, walk a little and pick up the noddy train for Euro 20.It was a really interesting tour. We did the cruise tours in Katakolon and Izmir which were well worth it (although Ephesus is not 7th wonder of the world Temple of Artemis, but was wonderful). For Istanbul get a tram for TL1.50 each down to grand bazaar and work your way back on foot. You won't get lost, you'll see everything, and save Euro 100. Also Dubrovnik, there is no need to do the tour. Jump on the tender boat, walk to the city gate, pay about Euro 5 each to get onto the wall, walk halfway round (or the whole way if it wasn't in 40s like it was for us, we were told 2nd half is just water, which I'm sure is beautiful, and looking down on tall buildings) and then wander around the city. Again you won't get lost.

We just got back from Costa Serena cruise around East Med. I was happy to leave most of it up to the travel agent but found it frustrating that I couldn't find much info re the drinks packages. So in case you are similarly interested, the drinks packages are shown to you while checking in. We got the 6 bottles of wine and 5 large bottles of water for Euro 99 (down from usual price of Euro 147). We also got water package of 13 large bottles for Euro 26. So this way we could have wine and sparkling water with dinner, and on the way out on a tour get a cold bottle of water. There were also 10 non-alcoholic for Euro 10, 4 wine & seven large water for Euro 69 down from Euro 107. Also, they told us not to get the water in the restaurant as they were small bottles, not sure what they meant as the bottles in the restaurant were large. For the excursions I suggest Bari: get off the boat, walk a little and pick up the noddy train for Euro 20.It was a really interesting tour. We did the cruise tours in Katakolon and Izmir which were well worth it (although Ephesus is not 7th wonder of the world Temple of Artemis, but was wonderful). For Istanbul get a tram for TL1.50 each down to grand bazaar and work your way back on foot. You won't get lost, you'll see everything, and save Euro 100. Also Dubrovnik, there is no need to do the tour. Jump on the tender boat, walk to the city gate, pay about Euro 5 each to get onto the wall, walk halfway round (or the whole way if it wasn't in 40s like it was for us, we were told 2nd half is just water, which I'm sure is beautiful, and looking down on tall buildings) and then wander around the city. Again you won't get lost.

Thank you so much you have given me loads of info to go on. Was the Noddy train 20 euros each? that seems really expensive! Was there a drinks promotion on when you boarded? The non-alcoholic deal you have quoted is great value if it is still on in October.

What did you think of the food? Were the men quite casual on gala nights (no DJs? few ties) What did you like best about the ship and what did you miss?

Archived