Do you take your own gear on your cruise?

Fourseventeen

I posted this elsewhere, but in case you didn't read it, here it is again.

I like to bring my mesh bag. I can roll it up and put it in my suit case, along with my fins, towel, skin suits, and scuba excessoires. I bring my regulator, and perscription mask in my carry-on. Although I have my own BCD, I don't bring it often because it takes up so much room...so I prefer to just rent one.

Once on board I assemble my mesh dive bag and store it under the bed until dive days.

I like the mesh bag, easy to travel with and I use it like a backpack by flinging it over my shoulders. The straps are long enough and makes it easier to carry. Carrying it over one shoulder is a bit heavy, but I did it many times before I started to carry it like a backpack (much easier).

Here is a picture of mine.....Hope this helps you out......:)

025.jpg.bdce6ef7dedf36fc6e2fc4b07fbfca32.jpg

Califcat...thanks for the photo and info. I think what I am leaning towards doing is taking my giant dive bag that holds both mine and my wifes gear to check on the plane and take on the ship. I think we will buy 2 mesh type backpacks to toss in our luggage and do as you do...once on board transfer our gear into our own mesh backpacks to take off the ship.

I have been diving since 2003 and my wife just recently got her cert finally. We have dove on cruise vacations BUT rented gear with exception of mask and fins (and the gear wasnt anything close to the quality of our gear at home)

We have been debating to lug around the extra luggage on our trips. This would mean taking it all on planes to our port destination, getting it on and off the ship in port and of coarse getting it all back home.

Anyone take ALL of their own scuba gear with them on cruise vacations? If so how do you pack all your gear for the plane trips and cruise? Typically my wife and I each have a checked large roller bag (which is always border line on the weight limit for the planes) and one carry on bag that barely clears the size limits. Trying to figure out if its worth it to bring our BC's, wetsuits, regs, computers, mask, fins, etc on our cruise trip if we are only going to dive in one, or maybe 2 locations while on a 7 day cruise. Whats the census say? And if you take all your gear...how do you travel with it?

Yes I have taken all my gear and will prob do it again $25 for an extra checked bag is worth the knowledge of knowing my gear is well cared for.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Actually I've never seen a rinse tank on a dive boat. The rinse tank has been, for me, at the dock/shop. When everyone returns from the boat trip they all stick their gear in the tank. Studies have shown that they'll leave the water for days. Even if they drain and refill occasionally, they never wash the rinse tank. One place (I think it was St. Lucia) the 'rinse' tank was a plastic barrel and had this nice green 'glow' about it. I suspect it was algae.

Another problem is the mask buckets for rinsing masks on the dive boats. People spit in the mask for their defog then rinse in the bucket. I never use those things.

Forgot to say I always take my own gear. Mask, computer,regs, camera equip all goes in a carry on. Anything else I need goes in a dive bag with clothes around it. I can get everything in one bag and under 50lbs. I never take a wetsuit as the water is so warm never need it. I take a rash guard for a top and that will get me through 3 dives with out a problem each day with out getting a chill.

It has been my experience that equipment provided by the typical cruiseship charters is meant to be cost effective and poorly maintained. However, the operators that specialize in more custom charters that still provide cruise ship service but are not affiliated with the cruise lines seem to have better maintained upper end equipment.

Dive operators like Divetech (Grand Cayman), Admiralty Dive Center (St. Thomas), and Stuart Cove (New Providence) seem to take pride in their equipment. If you do a little research on operators like these maybe emailing them and asking how old their equipment is and what it is may help you to decide. With your experience you probably already know how to search these people out.

I always take my own gear. I use a large roller bag and without weights I never have a problem with the weight limits. Therefore, IMHO, you should take the gear you're used to except for the weights and tanks as most dive charters will have those.

DH and I have been certified for a little over two years. We decided when we made the commitment to become certified divers that we would purchase equipment; and we did. My thoughts are you buy the gear to use it, right? So, we take ours with us. I can be a little bit of a germaphobe...I am not real excited about putting my mouth on a regulator that has been used by no telling how many people. Not to mention, what they may have had to do in that regulator (regurgitating?). Sorry, I only say this because I have seen it happen. Being that we are new divers, I would prefer my own BC because I am used to it (keep that in mind for your wife) and I know where all the dump pulls are. Besides...I paid a boat load for our gear and I want to use it (oh, wait I said that already LOL ;)).

When I packed for our last cruise I was able to get our two mesh dive bags, BC's, fins, masks, snorkels and regulators in one 29" bag. It was not overweight (as a matter of fact, I think it was lighter than all of our other bags). Think of it like this...if you are paying 20.00 more per person per excursion for w/equip than you would for w/o equipment, you are paying for one bag on the plane to carry your gear. Oh, we try to get at least 2 dives in per cruise. Now, most places wouldn't require that you take your wetsuit, and if it did, more than likely it would be a shorty. I think I could squeeze them in the same bag. We haven't carried any of our gear on. I have always worried that would cause a search, but I see from other's posts that wouldn't be an issue. I spoke with my dive shop about special care for traveling with our gear and he said the gear is tough and he has sent his through airlines and never had a problem.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have been diving since 2003 and my wife just recently got her cert finally. We have dove on cruise vacations BUT rented gear with exception of mask and fins (and the gear wasnt anything close to the quality of our gear at home)

We have been debating to lug around the extra luggage on our trips. This would mean taking it all on planes to our port destination, getting it on and off the ship in port and of coarse getting it all back home.

Anyone take ALL of their own scuba gear with them on cruise vacations? If so how do you pack all your gear for the plane trips and cruise? Typically my wife and I each have a checked large roller bag (which is always border line on the weight limit for the planes) and one carry on bag that barely clears the size limits. Trying to figure out if its worth it to bring our BC's, wetsuits, regs, computers, mask, fins, etc on our cruise trip if we are only going to dive in one, or maybe 2 locations while on a 7 day cruise. Whats the census say? And if you take all your gear...how do you travel with it?

We have been on two cruises since we have been certified. We have took our equipment with us not only for the comfort factor, but also because we know it is taken care of and fully operational. When we purchased all our dive equipment, our local dive shop threw in two pieces of luggage specific for diving equipment. It is made by Oceanic and has a hard back and wheels with an extendable handle like normal luggage. There are pockets on the side for your fins and when you put your BCD in, the back of the BCD makes a solid box so everything inside is protected. With all of our equipment BCD's, reg, fins, mask, booties etc, our bags are always under the 50 lbs max, and we usually have room to put shoes or other items to lighten up the regualar luggage. When we travel, we try and fly Southwest because you get two bags for free plus your carry on and personal item. We store our dive computers in our carry-ons so they do not get lost or stolen. We just take the luggage out with us and we have not had a problem so far with the dive ops being able to accommodate. Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Safety first: take at least your own regulator!!!! You know it has been serviced properly and recently, and you know it hasn't been used every single day by who knows who?

Also, your mask: it fits you! If you have a nice set of fins, that fit you...

About the only thing I would not bring, would be my BCD, but I won't leave it behind: I bring mine because I want to know where all the releases are, air purging pull balls, etc... and not have to get used to someone else's BCD. :)

rental BC's will not come with the inflator hose that would go into my 2nd stage. My hose out of my 2nd stage is set up for an AIR2 which has a larger quick connector then the standard power inflators.

THis is where I have problems as well. This cruise next week will be the first on which I will not be taking all of my gear...for two reasons.

1. This cruise is longer than any I have been on previously and is sailing out of NYC which mandates a coat and some heavier attire for the flight up and first and last sea days, at minimum.
  2. This cruise is on NCL, on which I have never before sailed, but noticed that the dive excursions offered are "gear included." Typically, most of Carnival's excursions offer you the option of a reduced price for bringing your own gear.

That being said, I am still taking my own mask & snorkel, as well as my dive computer, which can easily be attached to any BC, since I want to ensure my dives are logged on my computer (which are downloaded into my home computer and printed up for my dive log-book). I like to see my dive profile and this is just one way to ensure I get to see that! :D

I figure, I can take all of my gear when I do live-aboards and such like that, and when I take trips independent of cruise ships...like last September in Bonaire, and this coming April in the Philippines! woohoo.gif

THis is where I have problems as well. This cruise next week will be the first on which I will not be taking all of my gear...for two reasons.

1. This cruise is longer than any I have been on previously and is sailing out of NYC which mandates a coat and some heavier attire for the flight up and first and last sea days, at minimum.
  2. This cruise is on NCL, on which I have never before sailed, but noticed that the dive excursions offered are "gear included." Typically, most of Carnival's excursions offer you the option of a reduced price for bringing your own gear.

That being said, I am still taking my own mask & snorkel, as well as my dive computer, which can easily be attached to any BC, since I want to ensure my dives are logged on my computer (which are downloaded into my home computer and printed up for my dive log-book). I like to see my dive profile and this is just one way to ensure I get to see that! :D

I figure, I can take all of my gear when I do live-aboards and such like that, and when I take trips independent of cruise ships...like last September in Bonaire, and this coming April in the Philippines! woohoo.gif

I would at the very least be taking my own regulator. I was on a dive and someone in the other group (thank God), had his regulator fail on him, and he had to buddy breath with one of the DMs, and quit the dive. The only regulator you should trust your life on is your own.

I would at the very least be taking my own regulator. I was on a dive and someone in the other group (thank God), had his regulator fail on him, and he had to buddy breath with one of the DMs, and quit the dive. The only regulator you should trust your life on is your own.

Honestly, now, I am leaning toward taking my gear due to a couple thoughts and discussions with a friend at a dive shop. I've always preferred using my own reg...I know the service schedule and history...not to mention whose mouth it has been in! ;)

I just know, if I take my reg, I have to take my BC...because of the Air2 inflator connection, which makes life more difficult regarding hauling gear.

Honestly, now, I am leaning toward taking my gear due to a couple thoughts and discussions with a friend at a dive shop. I've always preferred using my own reg...I know the service schedule and history...not to mention whose mouth it has been in! ;)

I just know, if I take my reg, I have to take my BC...because of the Air2 inflator connection, which makes life more difficult regarding hauling gear.

I'm more worried about how many times it has been used since its last rebuild.

We always take our own dive gear on every cruise (BCD, regulator, mask, fins, booties, wetsuit and Lane uses a pony bottle), nothing like the reassurance that your gear works. However, we live in Florida and drive to our debarkation ports, not fly.

We've considered going on dive vacations and I briefly looked into the cost of checking in scuba gear for flights and if I remember correctly it's around $200 (ouch!) per bag.

To me the most important gear to have are the BCD, regulator and mask/snorkel.

You can easily rent a suit and fins and you always use their lead and tanks. (lead is real heavy to lug around, if you're used to an integrated system, you can forgo it for one vacation and use a weight belt)

Hope this helps.

Why would you be paying $200 per bag for scuba gear? I fly to all my cruises and put my gear in either a regular suitcase or a rolling scuba bag. At the most, I've paid about $15 for having an extra bag and nothing at all on Southwest. I take everything but weights, and sometimes I even take two 1-pound weights.

Why would you be paying $200 per bag for scuba gear? I fly to all my cruises and put my gear in either a regular suitcase or a rolling scuba bag.

I agree...I pack all of my gear (and will be doing so on my upcoming cruise, out of necessity after a lot of thought and consideration...can't live with the idea of other than my life-support equipment! :D) and since I have status on a couple of airlines, fortunately that exempts me from the bag charge. Even so, at most I would end up paying is $50 for the one bag, since I make it a point to travel lightly, even with my large roll-aboard, which contains my BC, dive kit and fins...I always hand carry my regulator, mask and dive computers...ALWAYS!

I know when I fly to the Philippines in April that I will maybe have a bag charge (though you are typically allowed one bag internationally for free, if you aren't connecting in the US), as my last trip to Bonaire was a free for the bag...of which I had one, including all of my dive gear and clothes for the week. It's do-able...but usually results in a 49.5 lb bag for me. YMMV! :cool:

Rental gear in the Caribbean is hit or miss. Stuart Cove's in Nassau has top quality rental gear. I have seen rental gear at places that scare the hell out of me. I have travelled with my own gear on every cruise and feel most comfortable with my own stuff. A rolling bag is a must! Many charters have a "no gloves" policy, but bring them anyway for protection on wreck dives - you won't need them on reef dives. RCCL will confiscate your knife so leave the large knives at home - a small folding knife will probably make it through. Get comfortable packing and accounting for your gear as many folks leave stuff behind (I lost a mask in Grand Cayman, but was able to buy another with corrective lenses for my next hop in Cozumel, but is cost me $100 - I was sick over it). You will want your computer and camera too. Have a great dive!

My 2 cents, like a lot of you have posted, we bring our own gear. We have our rigs set up as we like them, and impeccably maintained. We have seen rental gear in action and do not feel the need to experience this ;) Travel wise, we can fit 2 complete kits in;

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11604438&search=luggage&Mo=13&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=luggage&Ntt=luggage&No=7&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

We really like these duffel bags and the fact they do not scream SCUBA GEAR INSIDE like some of the branded ones. Once we board the ship we divide everything into 2 of the Akona mesh duffel / back packs.

Balconies are a real good reason to reserve so you have a place to dry out gear between stops!!!

directly taken from Delta Airlines website, they charge $200 according to their guidelines:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/sports_equipment/index.jsp

Scuba Equipment

We accept dive bags containing scuba equipment and accessories, other than an empty dive tank, as checked baggage provided the weight does not exceed 150 pounds (68 kg) and is not greater than 80 inches (203 cm), a total of length+width+height. The transporting of empty dive tanks as baggage does include a fee, which varies depending on where you are traveling.

For travel within or between the United States

(including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) and Canada 200 USD/CAD*

For travel between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) or Canada and all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*

For travel between all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*

For travel to/from Brazil 100 USD/CAD/EUR*

I can see that if you're attempting to travel with a 150-pound bag, but why would you do that? My fins go in my big suitcase, and everything else (expect mask, regulator, and wrist computer in my carryon) goes in my smaller suitcase. In November, I used a rolling scuba bag that held my fins, bc, etc., and it still went as a regular bag and was less than 50 pounds.

directly taken from Delta Airlines website, they charge $200 according to their guidelines:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/baggage/special_baggage/sports_equipment/index.jsp

Scuba Equipment

The transporting of empty dive tanks as baggage does include a fee, which varies depending on where you are traveling.

For travel within or between the United States

(including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) and Canada 200 USD/CAD*

For travel between the United States (including U.S. Virgin Islands & Puerto Rico) or Canada and all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*

For travel between all international markets 200 USD/CAD/EUR*

For travel to/from Brazil 100 USD/CAD/EUR*

Don't you think the fee is for a tank, not other dive equipment?

It wouldn't make sense that the charge is for any dive equipment. If so, why would you disclose what is in your bag?

We always travel with all of our dive equipment, some of it checked and some of it carry-on. We have never paid any fees to any airlines just because we had dive equipment.

Archived