Spain Day Tours

onthegogirl

We just returned from our cruise stopping at Motril, and used Spain (Top) Day Tours for a trip to Granada and the Alhambra. Most cruisers will probably stop in Malaga rather than Motril, but for the few people who stop in Motril (which is closer) here is my feedback:

We left the ship, passed the white shuttle bus (to Motril) and the white cruise line excursion buses, and easily found the big white bus (coach) for us. We picked up a limited number of people who had not registered in advance but who were wandering around outside our ship looking for a way to get to Granada. I believe they paid cash for a ride to the Alhambra (almost an hour from Motril) so they could at least see a little of the Alhambra and the gardens, and check out the very difficult ticket situation. With them added, there was still plenty of room on the bus, and we departed on time. The guide explained a lot about Andalusia and Granada (in excellent English (only) as most of us were English speakers) as the driver drove to Granada and the Alhambra complex. The guide was personable and knowledgeable, and was easy to hear and understand. At the entrance to the complex (which is very busy), we were split into groups (in our case 12 and 11, as we were on a small cruise ship with fewer participants than many ships) and our guide introduced us to the Alhambra guide. He provided us small headsets so we could hear adequately (and also not get lost, as his voice faded if we strayed a bit - but nobody strayed enough to get lost!). He (Alhambra guide) provided a thorough tour of the complex, including gardens. It was about the equivalent of 100 degrees Fahrenheit that day (late August), so I appreciated the fact that the Alhambra and gardens have places that are relatively cool. There are a lot of steps, cobblestones, and heat, so touring the Alhambra in August can be a tiring/exhausting experience, but of course it IS a major tourist attraction with a lot of history and lots of photo opps.

After the Alhambra tour, the Alhambra guide returned us to our meeting place, where we easily found the Top Day guide, taken back to the bus, and driven to center city Granada. I had been looking forward to that, but by that time my husband and I were exhausted and hungry (we are 64 year olds, and my husband diabetic and in need of food). While the guide said it wasn't too far to center city, we have come to realize that what is considered not too far by Europeans (especially those used to the heat of southern Spain) can be a bit far for us. We both decided to stop and eat lunch rather than walk with the guide and group to see some of the sights of Granada. The group had about 2 hours in center city Granada, but this might be a little less if you come from Malaga, as that is a slightly longer drive. We easily found a place to eat lunch (at a restaurant with outside tables with misting umbrellas - a first for us) and didn't do much else. Therefore, I can't provide any details about the time spent in Granada with the guide. It was a Sunday, so things were pretty quiet from what I could tell.

You cannot just go to Granada and buy tickets for the Alhambra, and from what I've read and heard, in August it is difficult to buy ANY tickets online, even weeks in advance. There were many people on our ship who were disappointed to not be able to see the Alhambra, as they had not planned in advance, and had not wanted to pay (or perhaps could not get on) a ship's pricey excursion. (The Alhambra only admits a certain number of people per day). Also, while there were likely some taxis, Granada is not exactly close to Motril and Malaga, so I doubt they were cheap. Therefore, if you want to be sure to see the Alhambra, I would definitely recommend booking in advance with Top Day Tours. They were quite professional from time of booking through drop off at the dock, communication was excellent, and the whole day was exactly as described in their initial email. Considering the amount of driving, hassle of securing tickets in August (or perhaps year round), and distance between the old part of Granada and the Alhambra, this tour is certainly worth the expense. Also, there was one couple on our ship who told me she had booked with another company that canceled at the last minute "because it was Sunday." If that was true (and I can only assume it was - but not because it was Sunday!) that is pretty shabby. I was happy I had booked with a company that has an excellent reputation. I usually research ports and do things on my own (for example, from Cadiz it is easy to go by bus or train to Seville) but this was one port where I decided to splurge a little on a day tour. I was really glad I did.

Edited by roothy123

I meant to add that if you're worried about enough people signing up for the tour to be "a go" you probably don't need to worry about that. We were the only ship in Motril that day and a small one at that (less than 700 cruisers). We easily met the minimum, and were notified of this by the company when we reached the minimum.

• 5 weeks later...

Just returned from a Holland Ameica cruise on the Prinzendam and took a wonderful Top Day tour from Cadiz to Seville. Our guide was terrific, as was the courier. We explored the Alcazar and saw the beautiful country pavilions from the 1929 exposition as well as the old Jewish Quarter. We also had free time for lunch and to explore. They got us back to the ship on time, as promised, and the tour cost less than half of the ship's comparable tour. All in all, a great day!

We were just on Oceania Marina and booked two tours with Spain Day tours-one to Seville and one to he Alhambra. Both were excellent, a good value, small groups (12 at Alhambra, 18 for Seville). The bus was ucrowded and we returned to the ship in plenty of time. At both sites, we saw the ship's tour and I think we got the better deal!

Just returned from a Holland Ameica cruise on the Prinzendam and took a wonderful Top Day tour from Cadiz to Seville. Our guide was terrific, as was the courier. We explored the Alcazar and saw the beautiful country pavilions from the 1929 exposition as well as the old Jewish Quarter. We also had free time for lunch and to explore. They got us back to the ship on time, as promised, and the tour cost less than half of the ship's comparable tour. All in all, a great day!

We just come back from a HAL cruise on the Rotterdam and took the same tour with Spain/Top Day Tour. It was a wonderful experience. The guides are wonderful especially our local guide Francisco in Seville. Oscar was bright and early waiting at the port. It was a much better experience than the ship excursion we took years ago. It was too bad that our roll call was not active and we did not have enough people to organize one from Malaga to Alhambra. We paid in full with a credit card when we booked and had no problem. Will use them again for Spain.

• 1 month later...

We have just returned from TA Barcelona to FLL. We used Spain/ Top Day Tours for port call in Cadiz. They picked us up promptly had us on the road to Seville. They used a full bus, but once in Seville we were spit into small 15 person group. The tour was well led and the guide very knowledgeable. With limited time because of travel distance, we still got to experience the major sites of Seville. Had no concerns about returning to the ship on time. Highly recommend this tour company for shore excursions.

• 4 weeks later...
We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise and used Spain Top Day Tours for an excursion from Malaga to the Alhambra. Transportation to Granada was on a large comfortable coach. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and pleasant. At the Alhambra, we split up into smaller groups. There were 16 people in our group. A local guide led us an a comprehensive tour and afterward we returned to Granada downtown for a break for lunch and walking around.

It was great. I did not go on the ship's excursion so cannot comment on how it was but I can say that it cost 3 times as much as Top Day. Ir couldn't possibly have been 3 times better. I would absolutely use Top Day in the future.

I'm not sure how you saved so much money. The price I was quoted after converting euros to US dollars, there was only a saving of less than 20 US dollars. I was quoted 79 euros plus 13 euros to enter the palace. Did you manage to get it cheaper than this?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are doing a TA cruise in April and were cosidering the Malaga to Granda tour. My SO has some problem walking or standing for a long time,will this be a problem? It looks like we will be bussed and then lead on a walking tour is this correct? She want's to see Alhambra is that also a problem? She has had both knee's replaced but still has some problems.

Thank's

J.

• 1 month later...

There is a tremendous amount of walking on this excursion. The grounds are huge and they walk you through all the flower beds and gardens. There are many rooms to see and the Alhambra is is a huge complex. If you need to rest and sit, you might have a problem as our guide kept us moving at a clip so we could see everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a tremendous amount of walking on this excursion. The grounds are huge and they walk you through all the flower beds and gardens. There are many rooms to see and the Alhambra is is a huge complex. If you need to rest and sit, you might have a problem as our guide kept us moving at a clip so we could see everything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, the palace grounds are quite large and there was lots of walking and standing. you might ask the tour company their opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

We had the privilege of being SPB Tours Mediterranean first customers. We could not be more pleased. We booked tours in Barcelona, Florence/Pisa and Rome.

Barcelona: Oscar Comos, SPB Tour Med manager, was waiting for us when we cleared immigration. Our transfer to our hotel was smooth and effortless.

We booked 2 tours in Barcelona. One day to Montserrat and the other day for Barcelona. Our guide was prompt and very knowledgeable on out tours. The information on Gaudi and his buildings was especially appreciated.The best thing about using SPB Tours is the group size. We were four senior citizens and were able adapt our tour to our liking. You also get to skip the very long lines for attraction tickets. We, and THOUSANDS of others used SPB Tours in the Baltic. This is a very reliable company. There is a reason they are rated 5 stars on TripAdvisor

• 3 months later...
We just returned from a transatlantic cruise and booked a tour through Spain Day Tours (although on site it was Top Day Tours) for an excursion from Malaga to Granada and the Alhambra.

Despite the inclement weather that no one could control, we had a great time on our tour of the Alhambra. Although I had some trepidation at going on an excursion outside of the cruise company, especially one involving such a long travel segment to and from the site, but my fears were unfounded. We were pleased to be greeted and directed to the bus directly outside the cruise terminal. The trip from Malaga to Granada was superbly narrated by our guide, pointing out all the key attractions and preparing us for our time at the Alhambra. Her reassurance that we would be back at the ship in plenty of time for departure helped calm our nerves so we could really enjoy the trip. The small group tour at the Alhambra was extremely informative and the sites were amazing, we just wish the rain had let up when we were outside rather than during our time inside. All in all we felt safe, secure and were very pleased to have a tour that cost about half of what the ship charged for the same tour, and we got to go with a smaller group.

We used Top Day Tours for our Granada/Alhambra Tour in April and were lucky to have gorgeous weather. Debbie was so entertaining and informative on the ride there and also very reassuring about our meeting the time constraints. She was amazed that the ship tours had time for lunch, so we definitely had more time in Alhambra, just snacking on the way. Our guide in Alhambra was also great. We highly recommend Top Day Tours.

I would not hesitate to recommend Spain (Top Ten) Day Tours. We used them recently for a tour of Seville from Cadiz. I always received prompt replies to any enquiries. We had a large group through our roll call and travelled into Seville in a comfortable bus. Once in Seville we divided into smaller groups with a guide for each group. We were provided with very interesting information about the region and history while travelling as well as the areas we were visiting once in our small group. It was a wonderful day.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did a transatlantic and one of our ports was A Coruna. We booked a tour with Spain Day Tours to Santiago de Compostela from that port. I can honestly say this tour company is one of the best. Our tour was amazing. We were met on time, the tour guides were knowledgeable and the bus accomodations superb. One of the best parts of dealing with Spain Day Tours is that they take on the responsibility of collecting the monies.

I highly recommend Spain Day Tours.

• 2 months later...
We just did a transatlantic and one of our ports was A Coruna. We booked a tour with Spain Day Tours to Santiago de Compostela from that port. I can honestly say this tour company is one of the best. Our tour was amazing. We were met on time, the tour guides were knowledgeable and the bus accomodations superb. One of the best parts of dealing with Spain Day Tours is that they take on the responsibility of collecting the monies.

I highly recommend Spain Day Tours.

Surprised to hear great comments, will be in Vigo in Sept. & immediately received price & amt of passengers needed, we put together a group & now can not get a response.

I contacted Spain Day Tours in early July about a Vigo tour. They said they would confirm us once they had the minimum number of people for a group so I said I'd fill the group from our roll call. Although I sent them all the names and email addresses, it took them 11 days to let us know they couldn't accommodate us. I have booked and participated in private tours all over the world, as well as booking them for my clients, and this is by far the worst company I've ever encountered.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We just completed a 2 week tour of Spain and Portugal with Celebrity r/t from Barcelona. We utilized Barcelona Day Tours and Spain Day Tours for transfers and tours to Barcelona, Palma, Cartegena, Cadiz, Lisbon, Fatima and Malaga. We found them to be excellent value, averaging 14-18 per bus. For Granada and Sevilla the buses were app. 40. All responses from them were timely in terms of bookings. I would not book with any other operator in Spain or Portugal. The guides spoke good to excellent English, had great knowledge and passion for their work and their country. The drivers were very good as well. The tours started on time and the only minor delays (of 5-10 minutes) were due to passengers not showing up on time or communicating with the tour office as a courtesy to the others they would not make it. The guides also handled the needs of the group and individuals with care and sensitivity. We would not have been able to see the Alcazar Palace in Sevilla and Alhambra in Granada as Spain Day Tours arranges the tickets and times months in advance. Many on our ship attempted too late and were very disappointed....poor advance planning in my opinion as the Alhambra in particular has limited and timed access. These are world heritage sites and worth working with a professional agency so you won't miss out. Avoid the massive herds of the cruise ship and receive good value. We always returned well in advance of departures so no worries there!

We can't wait to return to Spain and Portugal and look forward to utilizing their services.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise around ports in Spain and Lisbon. I arranged tours in 3 of the ports and joined another in the fourth. We did Alhambra, Seville,Valencia and Lisbon. We had small vans in 2 of the ports and larger buses to get us to Seville and Alhambra but then divided into max of 18 per walking tour group. The drivers and guides were the best. We had 2 couples who complained about the time we returned to the ship but we were always back at the appropriate time. (with time to spare) so if you see comments from them...just ignore them...we had the best of the best...the guides spoke great English and in Lisbon, our driver Jose would even chime in....I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our days because of the fabulous tours...would strongly recommend this company. 5 stars

Just returned from a 19 day Western Med cruise with HAL and had the pleasure of using Spain Day Tours for shore excursions in the following ports of call: Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, Motril (Granada) & Cartagena. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed all the day trips and were most impressed with our guide Vera in Cartagena who was extremely knowledgeable and made sure everything went to plan. We would not hesitate in recommending this company to other cruisers.

I recently (late October 2015) used Barcelona Day Tours for the 4 hour day tour of Barcelona prior to being dropped off at the ship - RCCL Oasis of the Sea. The guide was awesome and spoke great English. He pretty much talked for four hours. We went through Barcelona and stopped at various places where Gaudi's work was featured and we stopped at Park Guell and Sagrada Familia. I'm ready to visit Spain again. [emoji2]

Barcelona Day Tours

Top-Day-Tours Group

http://www.BarcelonaDayTours.com

Tel: +34-93-180-7009

Fax:+34 -93-372-8413

Email: info@BarcelonaDayTours.com

Edited by AquaQueenKitt