Crown vs. Majesty?

beantownbaby

I definately pick the Crown. I'm from Mass. as well and drove to NYC last summer to sail to Bermuda (though did an 8 night on RCI). Definately prefered sailing to all 3 ports. The Majesty goes only to St. George's which is far removed from the rest of the island.

I haven't heard much about the relative stability of each ship, but I notice that the Crown has a deeper draft and should be more stable. Majesty has a very shallow draft and presumably bounces around in high seas. Bermuda's out in the Atlantic, so rough seas are a definite possibility. If you are prone to motion-sickness, you might prefer the Crown...

Hi:

I am torn between the Crown and the Majesty to Bermuda.

Any thoughts on either ship?

I recently went through the same decision process and ultimately chose the Majesty. I was making the choice for a group of 8 cabins that will sail in June/05, so had to come up with some supporting information. Assuming you are from Boston, that's one more advantage for you. Being torn between the two, I made up a pro and con chart, and even weighted the factors, and the Majesty won a clear race. Here are some of the factors I recall being key:

Parking - Boston $68 vs. NY $168

Cabin size - relatively speaking, the Crown cabins are larger

Arrival in Bermuda - for our cruise, the Crown is 8 am, the Majesty 1 pm

Pools - Crown 1, Majesty 2

Cosmetic - Majesty was about to undergo a refurb (done)

Price - Crown prices were considerably higher

# of restaurants/bars - More bars/variety on the Majesty

Red Sox vs. Yankees - Big plus for the Crown for me

Free time in am - the Crown moves twice in the am

Port variety - The Crown makes three stops, vs. one for the Majesty. At first this was a big plus for the Crown, but "on further review", it turned out to be a positive for our group. We found that Bermuda's transportation system is very good, and that the two Crown stops require a commute anyways, just shorter. On the two days the Crown relocates, you must take that timeframe into consideration when you plan your day. Also, by staying in the same port, our group will find it easier to make plans, especially as we get to know the island, before or upon arrival. All our planning will be from the same location.

I hope you find these thoughts helpful.

Archived