Different hotels pre- and post-cruise?

Lulubelle6805

I've been put in charge of planning our family cruise, and now that I've finally managed to book flights arriving at the same time for family members flying in from opposite ends of the country (whew!), I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed about the hotel part. I hope some of you experienced NOLA cruisers will be able to help me sort this one out!

First, we're planning to fly into New Orleans fairly late the night before our cruise, so we're looking for a no-frills (READ: cheap!) kind of place that's either close to the airport or close to the port (not sure which would be best).

But on the day we get back, we'd like to stay in New Orleans overnight and fly out the next morning so we can have a mini-New Orleans experience. So we're willing to splurge just a bit more to stay at a nicer hotel that's maybe close to the French Quarter (traveling with grandparents who won't want to walk too far). We're not fancy hotel people, though, so cheap, clean, and convenient will definitely work for us.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...

We just spent four nights at the Sheraton on Canal Street which we got on a bid through Priceline for $89 a night. Awesome hotel, great location, comfortable beds. We really like the Maison Dupuy, but their prices have gone way up. The Baronne Plaza is nice, too. I think it's a Wyndam now.

How many people (transfers), how many rooms, and what dates?

We'll need two rooms for both stays: one for my mom and grandma to share, one for me, my husband and 2-year old son. All of us except my grandma are flying in from the East Coast, and she's flying in from the West Coast, but I'm planning (hoping!) to arrange flights for all of us so that we arrive around the same time. Thanks for all your help.

I alway's bid on a 4 star on Priceline for 59 or 69 and have wound up with the Sheraton, Intercontinental, the Marriot, all very nice and perfect for pre or post stay in New Orleans. I highly recommend using the website, I have never been disappointed.

Hi,

We are taking the 30th January spirit cruise and I was looking the same as you.

I've been looking at hotel price for the last month and half and I should have booked then. At that time, we were able to get a 4* downtown with hotwire for 69$. Now it's 89$ (this hotel seem to be the Intercontinental)

I have win last week from Priceline (name your price) for 71$ the Renaissance Pere Marquette Hotel (downtown 4*) and it's just 1 block from the French Quarter. I know that some people was able to get 4* lower but I increase my bid 1$ by 1$ and that was the lowest price accepted.

If you don't feel comfortable bidding , a friend of mine stayed at the Downtown Quality Inn and Suites for 89$ and she loved it (priceline regular). This include breakfast. This was my backup plan if I were not able to get a hotel cheaper by biding.

good luck!

Archived