Size of Room Safe

lushou

Hi,

I don't have exact dimensions, but I highly doubt that even the smallest laptops would fit in the safe. A Kindle would fit, don't think an IPad would. They aren't very deep, and the opening is smaller than the inside width of the actual safe. We put in our passports, jewelry, cash, wallets, IPod, camera (small one) and that's about it.

They are not huge, but they do hold wallets, passports, cameras (maybe not with large lenses) and jewelry. On the Emerald I was able to put my iPad in flat with no problem, but I don't think it will hold much more than a netbook sized item, certainly not a laptop.

FWIW, I think the sizes/types of the safes are slightly different on different ships. Some of them have knobs to turn as part of the opening process, some just pop open after you enter the code.

I've seen some hotel rooms that do take laptops, never a ship.

ENough for wallet, passports, jewelry and maybe iTouch or something.

Anyone have the dimensions of the room safe or a photo? We are trying to determine how much we can fit in it. (laptop etc.).

Thx

K

DSC_2379.jpg.d9c57d5b4d0626a44cb5f82eba4772db.jpg

I have come to feel comfortable with ship stateroom security and think with the stewards about all the time, etc. that it is the most secure place you could be. I do use the safe for money and passport but otherwise don't give it a thought. I leave everything else, camera, Kindle, etc. where convenient, and if I took a laptop would do the same.

It is not the laptop or netbook that is valuable it is the data. If you are truly concerned, remove the hard drive and put it in the safe. Another option, make sure there are sufficient paswords on your netbook/laptop to make it a bit difficult to get to the data. I make sure there is no data on my netbook that anyone would want and I have passwords.

There is software that will let you know if someone has tried to access your data -- sounds like lots of folks on cruise critic have invested in it as they are positive no one has touched their laptop -- perhaps they could share which software is best.

Or...if you are really concerned, close the laptop/netbook and put a small piece of tape that would have to be broke if it was opened. Then you will know if it has been messed with.

Personally I am not concerned but respect the fact that the OP is, so just offering some suggestions.

Anyone have the dimensions of the room safe or a photo? We are trying to determine how much we can fit in it. (laptop etc.).

Thx

K

We get in my wifes jewelry bag, passports and my wallet thats about it - no way a laptop would fit in those safes they are pretty tiny!

I have a 10 inch netbook. It did NOT fit in my safe. Perhaps the suites or mini-suites have larger safes, but not my oceanview. I purchased a cable lock, specifically made for laptops and netbooks, and use it whenever I travel. Sometimes it take a bit of time to find a stationary spot to loop the cable through, but it's worth the peace of mind. As the room steward was fast to point out (and not the first time I've heard it on a ship), he or she is not the only one with access to your cabin.

I gave my key to my adult son, who was not in my cabin, to run down and get something. The steward said hi to him and never questioned why he was using my key card! So, while I feel safer on a ship as far as sticky fingers, I still put my valuables in a safe spot.

In 15 years of cruising [24 nights this year alone] I have never heard of anyone having anything stolen from their cabin. Worrying about getting your laptop in the safe is an insult to the excellent staff of Princess. Th eonly thing that goes in our safe is money - and that is only so DH can keep it away from me!!!

Maybe you can get a better idea of the safe dimensions from this photo. My passport measures 3 1/2" x 5" so my guess for the opening would be around 10 " wide by around 9" high. The depth might be around 8 to 10 " deep. Even on a diagonal it would be tough to get a smallest laptop in there but a note book would probably fit.

We put our passport, any important docs for the trip home and wallet(money /ID) in the safe. We don't bring our laptop with us. But have heard that others lock their laptops,etc(things that won't fitin the safe) in their luggage.

:)

Archived