Ever gotten a free upgrade after booking a inside cabin???

lovinacruise

We have cruised a dozen plus times mostly Carnival and we always book a balcony. We were going to book the Carnival "dream" for 9/25 but saw the EPIC on the Today show and changed our minds. So we are booked on the Epic 9/25. But Here's the deal... A balcony on the Dream was the same price as a inside on the Epic. This is our second cruise in four months so we have a budget to stick to but I chose the inside Epic over the Carnival Dream Balcony. I have heard other "inside" cruisers say they have gotten phone call just before their cruise and offered free or discount rates from insides to balconies. Has this ever happen to anyone?? :rolleyes:

Back in 2008, I was booked in an Ocean View on the Sky (4 night cruise) About 3 days before the cruise, I got a call offering an upgrade to Balcony for an additonal $50. That was not pp, so I jumped on the deal. There were 2 adults and 1 child in the cabin. Had a choice of cabin and we picked the Aft Balcony. There were a number of TS and Hurricanes brewing at the time. I think lots of people may have cancelled, or they just really had an empty ship. I'm a platinum lattitude member and that was the first and so far the last time I've been upgraded.

Good luck, but don't know if I'd count on being upgraded

Tks for the feedback. I think I may just call and upgrade. I can't stand the thoughts of the inside. I think i would go nuts:eek:

Most upgrades are done within the same category: inside to a higher category inside. Very rarely would an inside be upgraded to an oceanview.

So if you think you'd go nuts in an inside, don't book an inside guarantee since you probably would not be upgraded to an oceanview or even to an obstructed oceanview.

You might be offered an upsell to something else, but that's iffy.

Don't count on upgrades for the Epic. If you can't stand the thought of an inside (neither could I ;)), and it's in your budget, call and upgrade. They'll adjust the price if it drops before final payment - and, in my experience, even after. YMMV on that, though.

we were suprised and luckey a few cruises ago we were booked outside obstructed and got put in a balcony and did not even tell use just gave us the key and we called because we thought it was mistake but that is 1 out of about 16 cruises. was on ccl at the time. good luck:)

• 3 weeks later...

In February 2008, my husband and I booked a inside guarantee on the lowest deck on Carnival Freedom to the Western Caribbean. Carnival waited until we arrived at the port to assign us a cabin, and we were upgraded to a exterior stateroom on the Spa deck, the highest deck in the ship! It was fantastic. This was amazing, and I have no idea what made it happen. It was only my second time cruising on Carnival. Anyway, it was shocking when we saw how much bigger the room was and compared it with glimpses of interior rooms we saw while walking around the ship.

went from inside to OV on December sailing last year on the Star...free upgrade which was REALLY NICE, but i settle for inside..i just wanna be cruising...actually the inside cabin bathroom has more leg room then the OV with that door:D

I know this post is old but I figured I'd chime in. I was booked in an inside on the Gem for this December and I saw today that the price went down $50 pp from what I paid and that OVs could be had for the same price I paid. I got in touch with my TA and she said they could upgrade me to an OV so I took it. I'll now have a great view of the lifeboat in front of me, but hopefully that will let in a little light. I've cruised twice in inside cabins and been fine with it and most recently in a mini-suite (we had 3 adults and needed extra room and I loved the balcony), but my boyfriend is cruising for the first time, so hopefully this will help a little. The balconies got much cheaper on this cruise too so maybe I'll get lucky and can score one for just a little more.

Archived