Carnival Liberty vs. Destiny? Pick one!

ramby

We are a family with 3 young children ages 6-11 and are trying to figure out which ship would be preferable. Any feedback would be helpful--in particular, which ship is cleaner/in better condition, which has better food, which has better sports/waterslides/golf for children? Thank you.

I think you'll be happy with either ship. They are almost the same. They both have the waterslide (just one, not the water park). Liberty has the added benefit of having the steakhouse and fish-n-chips place, plus longer itineraries. I sailed on Destiny more recently than Liberty and would go back to her in a heartbeat - she is my 10yo daughter's favorite ship (I don't really know why - but she LOVES that ship and constantly asks when we're sailing Destiny again).

Personally, the Liberty was my favorite, but only because we so enjoyed the steakhouse. If you don't plan to do that, you won't really notice a difference. The old reviews of Destiny (from the Southern route) painted her as being an out of date, scary ship with bad service - but that isn't what we found to be true at all. We loved every minute of the cruise. So, what I'd look at instead, is the itinerary, number of days, and price. Use those as your selection factors - you won't be disappointed either way. (I'm not sure this is true, but I'd suspect that Destiny may have been a prototype for the Conquest class - of which Liberty is a member - they are almost exactly the same)

We are a family with 3 young children ages 6-11 and are trying to figure out which ship would be preferable. Any feedback would be helpful--in particular, which ship is cleaner/in better condition, which has better food, which has better sports/waterslides/golf for children? Thank you.

Hands down: CARNIVAL LIBERTY!

• Newer ship (Liberty was built on 2005, Destiny was built on 1996)
  • Larger ship (the Liberty is an enlarged version of the Destiny, with more bars/lounges)
  • Cabins will have a mini-fridge (not on the Destiny)
  • Decoration throughout the ship is much more eye pleasing
  • Liberty has more dining venues, including the reservations only restaurant (which for us, was THE highlight of our cruise)
  • Liberty is our favorite ship in the Carnival fleet!
  • Sailing for 7 nights ALWAYS beats sailing for 5 nights
  • Camp Carnival facilities for the kids on the Liberty are much nicer

We were on the Destiny 2 years ago...

We're going on the Liberty this Saturday....

The Destiny decor is very 'brown and beige'

The Liberty, on the pictures looks very brown too...

The Destiny was lovely.... not my favourite, but still very nice..

The Liberty has a longer cruise, which we prefer...

I'd shop price and itinerary on this one!

Just to throw a wrench in there.. I just got off the Liberty on August 28th. Did not like the ship at all. The layout was terrible. The atrium was less than spectacular ( and I love them) and the entertainment venues were all stuck in the back of the ship. Didnt care for that either. Loved my cabin, the itenerary and the staff. But the ship not so much. And thats after ALOT of Carnival cruises. Won't do that ship class again unless there was some itenerary that I absolutley could not miss and it was the only ship offering it.

Just my two cents.

Just to throw a wrench in there.. I just got off the Liberty on August 28th. Did not like the ship at all. The layout was terrible. The atrium was less than spectacular ( and I love them) and the entertainment venues were all stuck in the back of the ship. Didnt care for that either. Loved my cabin, the itenerary and the staff. But the ship not so much. And thats after ALOT of Carnival cruises. Won't do that ship class again unless there was some itenerary that I absolutley could not miss and it was the only ship offering it.

Just my two cents.

Destiny has the same layout. The cabins are much nicer on the Liberty.

>> Liberty is not really "brown and beige"...it has cream sort of "stucco" atrium walls, with "terra cotta" planters with (artificial) bright pink flowers

colorful chandeliers and lots of wrought iron,

really very lovely, it is supposed to "feel" like Tuscany

::...um....Litewait....all the ships beyond the Fantasy Class are pretty much the same layout...

Destiny (in a class by itself) is the "prototype" that the "improved" Conquest class was based on

so the floors are "obstructed" just like Liberty

the difference is that Liberty has more places to eat so the Lido/Buffet does not feel as crowded

for instance....Destiny has the upstairs seating but NO Fish n Chips (Conquest Class) or Pasta Bar (Dream/Majesty)

Liberty also has the OPTION of the supper club

The hot tubs at aft pool are arranged better so the glass roof can truly retract (a design improvement)

the hot tubs on main Lido are better situated on Liberty, with better viewing of the Big Screen

Now...while it may be "my opinion" that Liberty is nicer, I can also show facts that "prove" that Liberty and Destiny are essentially same class of ship BUT Liberty has more "tweaks' that are truly improvements

Liberty has more food options which help to ease overcrowding and lines on Lido

IMHO opinions are nice, but facts are better

it is "my opinion" that Liberty

Archived