dolphin swim in Grand Cay

MAO

Has anyone done any kind of dolphin swim?

Looking thru shore trips who have several differant choices, I know that Cozumel is a better place to do this type of tour but Grand Cayman is better for us. Just want to make sure I won't be wasting money.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give:)

I hope you don't mind me joining in here, as I have the exact same question. We've done the dolphin experience on Cozumel in the past and loved it, but for our upcoming cruise with our parents, we're thinking that perhaps the excursions on Grand Cayman or Roatan might be a somewhat better fit. So, I'm interested in information about this experience, as well.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any insight.

Back in May my husband and I did the Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Cove. We had to pair it with the Stingray City tour and book through the cruiseline because Dolphin Cove won't take independent reservations when a cruise ship is in port (at least that's what we were told).

I did not feel it was right to make dolphins haul us around, which is why we chose the encounter instead of the swim. While waiting for the guides, we were able to stand near the rail and watch the dolphins. They seemed really happy and were eager to do tricks for us, even though they were not getting rewarded for it.

When the guides were ready, they had us all sign a waiver and gave a brief talk about what would happen in the water. Then we went in. You stand about wasit-deep on a submerged platform and the dolphin comes up in the water next to you to do the tricks (dancing, handshake, kiss, etc). The dolphin gets a fish from the trainer every time it completes a trick. During the kiss, they take your pic and try to sell it to you later. I did not like my pic and wanted to buy the video, but it turns out they only videotape the dolphin swim and not the dolphin encounter so that was not an option. You are not allowed to take your own camera into the water with you due to the dolphins sensitive skin (remove jewelry beforehand also).

All in all I would guess we were in the water for about 30 minutes. It was pretty cool to be so close to a dolphin. I considered it the highlight of all our shore excursions during that cruise (Cozumel ATV/snorkel, Belize cave tubing and zipling, and Roatan island tour). A truly great experience, and I must say I was definitely more comfortable around them than the stingrays, lol) :D

back in may my husband and i did the dolphin encounter at dolphin cove. We had to pair it with the stingray city tour and book through the cruiseline because dolphin cove won't take independent reservations when a cruise ship is in port (at least that's what we were told).

I did not feel it was right to make dolphins haul us around, which is why we chose the encounter instead of the swim. While waiting for the guides, we were able to stand near the rail and watch the dolphins. They seemed really happy and were eager to do tricks for us, even though they were not getting rewarded for it.

When the guides were ready, they had us all sign a waiver and gave a brief talk about what would happen in the water. Then we went in. You stand about wasit-deep on a submerged platform and the dolphin comes up in the water next to you to do the tricks (dancing, handshake, kiss, etc). The dolphin gets a fish from the trainer every time it completes a trick. During the kiss, they take your pic and try to sell it to you later. I did not like my pic and wanted to buy the video, but it turns out they only videotape the dolphin swim and not the dolphin encounter so that was not an option. You are not allowed to take your own camera into the water with you due to the dolphins sensitive skin (remove jewelry beforehand also).

All in all i would guess we were in the water for about 30 minutes. It was pretty cool to be so close to a dolphin. I considered it the highlight of all our shore excursions during that cruise (cozumel atv/snorkel, belize cave tubing and zipling, and roatan island tour). A truly great experience, and i must say i was definitely more comfortable around them than the stingrays, lol) :d

thank you!

My husband and I did the Dolphin Encounter/Turtle Farm in February through Princess. The change rooms/washrooms were fine and there were several lockers in which to place your clothes. As previously mentioned you are split into groups and go out on a platform about waist deep ( I am 5' 8'').

At the end in order to exit everyone is herded into a small video viewing room to watch the video and then into the souvenir store where photos were also available. $80.00 dollars later..expensive but I liked the video and pics and I am glad that we bought them. I have now decided that there is no escaping this sort of thing anywhere and one just has to decide to either ignore the sales pitch or partake.

It is a tour that I would do once and not again but not for any reason...it is in my view a one time experience. We were in GC again last week and went to Margarittaville instead :eek:

Tough decision! I think we will end up doing some sort of dolphin adventure in GC but not sure which yet.

Thanks to everyone who added their input, very helpful:)

I think of all the Dolphin adventure areas I've seen while cruising I was least impressed by the one in Grand Cayman. That being said, you will be able to be in the water with them and that will be enjoyable. Just not impressed with this facility or the trainers.

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery in Grand Cayman. There are different levels of interaction with the dolphins (different packages.) We opted for the Royal Swim which gives you the most interaction with the dolphins. Our interaction included the dorsal tow, the foot push, the hand shake, the kiss and just some time interacting with/touching the dolphins as well as watching them do other tricks, etc. It was pretty expensive but a great experience. For me it was a once in a lifetime thing...done it once, don't need to do it again but my friend would do it every time we went if she could.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend that you check out dolphindiscovery.com.

Hope you have a great time.

We booked directly through Dolphin Discovery in Grand Cayman. There are different levels of interaction with the dolphins (different packages.) We opted for the Royal Swim which gives you the most interaction with the dolphins. Our interaction included the dorsal tow, the foot push, the hand shake, the kiss and just some time interacting with/touching the dolphins as well as watching them do other tricks, etc. It was pretty expensive but a great experience. For me it was a once in a lifetime thing...done it once, don't need to do it again but my friend would do it every time we went if she could.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend that you check out dolphindiscovery.com.

Julia thank you that is the one we are looking at! I have swam with the dolphins at discovery cove orlando but many years ago, my SIL has not. Sounds like it was worht the $$

Were you on a cruise when you were able to book right through dolphin discovery? the website said cruise passengers have to book through the ship and as previously mentioned they don't offer the royal swim. I have done it in Naussau and my kids are very excited for the foot push. any booking info would be great! thanks

Were you on a cruise when you were able to book right through dolphin discovery? the website said cruise passengers have to book through the ship and as previously mentioned they don't offer the royal swim. I have done it in Naussau and my kids are very excited for the foot push. any booking info would be great! thanks

Yes. We were there on the Carnival Legend. They never asked me if I was coming in on a cruise or not. I don't remember them asking for anything except my credit card number.

• 1 year later...
I think of all the Dolphin adventure areas I've seen while cruising I was least impressed by the one in Grand Cayman. That being said, you will be able to be in the water with them and that will be enjoyable. Just not impressed with this facility or the trainers.

Where were you? Dolphin Discovery? Or Dolphin Cove?

Archived