Packing for River Cruise...What to take and what to leave home

Patrincess

You will love this trip! I took it from Budapest to Amsterdam two years ago in late Sept. Weather was wonderful. I would bring the following items, the amounts will depend on how long your cruise is, although I would imagine it's about 15 days. 3 pairs of jeans + 1 pair of black jeans or slacks for the two "formal" nights. 2-3 pairs of cut-offs (we called them pedal pushers in my day!) 1 pair of shorts for that one day when the weather was just glorious and we were on the ship all day. I would bring a jacket, 2-3 sweaters + one dressy type top (I bring a beaded sweater to wear with the black jeans. 4-6 tops with a mix of long, middle and short sleeves. GOOD walking shoes, a rain jacket and enough underwear and socks to get you through 7 days. On the 6th day you leave the dirty underwear, pajamas and socks in the plastic bag on your bed and let the ship do laundry for you. I've never had to wait over-night for my laundry to be returned, but they don't guarantee same day service. You don't say who you're traveling with but if it's one of the big companies (GCT, Uniworld, Viking, Vantage, etc.) you will not need a hair dryer or bathroom amenities like shampoo, conditioner, tissues, etc. Bring sun glasses, an extra memory card for the camera and a battery charger for the camera! About the "formal" nights.....this would be the welcome dinner and the farewell dinner. Unless you're eating at the captain's table, which is by invitation, you will do fine with black jeans and a fancier top. Virtually nobody had a suit or dress at any of these events and if you have room in your suitcase throw in a pair of black flats that you can stick on instead of your walking shoes. I usually bring an old pair, wear them twice and then throw them out to make room for new stuff that I buy. :)

Layer your clothing. I would recommend a fleecy if you own one. Make sure you have a wind breaker (rain protection) with you. A really good pair of walking shoes is an absolute necessity. I managed with 2 pairs of slacks and 2 pairs of capris plus about 6 tops. Nobody dressed up for dinner. Very casual.

I usually do the 'black' pants look ... black jeans, several black slacks, one of which is a dressy pair. I take 2 pair of walking shoes and one pair of flats which I use as my 'dress' shoes ... they are usually a mary-jane style ..

We were gone for 30 days this year so I took along non-wrinkle tops ... short-sleeve, 3/4 sleeve and long-sleeve ... plus 2 'dressy' tops. I also took some scarves to accent my tops ... I could wear the same top multiple times and just change its look with a scarf.

We each had some laundry done and we had our laundry back to us by the time we got back from our tours. They even pressed my husband's t-shirts ... he hasn't had that done since his mother used to do his laundry ..

Remember, for the most part, you will not see many of your fellow passengers again ... so, if you wear the same top for several times, who cares ... as long as you are comfortable.

And I always take two 'mini' umbrellas. They have been lifesavers.

But the biggest thing is just to relax and enjoy the trip.

Rules of packing for a holiday ........ (seriously) :

- Pack what you think you need.

- Then halve it.

In reality even after this draconian measure, you will still not wear everything you take; you will be better off for not lugging extra weight around airports and stations.

Believe me it works .

We traveled in May this year, and everyone told us it was unseasonably cold and rainy. I was glad I had 2 fleece tops and a jacket with zip out lining. I would check the forecast just ahead of time and adjust plans then.

I am sensitive to cold, but if it's cold and you have two fleece tops, you won't look as if you wore the same thing in every picture. I would also take some gloves and a scarf in case it is cold. Others were saying they wished they brought gloves.

As well as the battery charger, I would consider an extra battery, so I could have one charging during the day or possibly with me.

We had everything washed and pressed at the hotel in Budapest before we left. I did wash some tops on my own on the cruise.

AMA had generous amounts of very nice shampoo, conditioner, etc. You can leave your hair dryer at home. It won't work on their current, and some people may blow theirs out even with the plug in converter plugs.:rolleyes:

Hydrokitty and the others pretty much covered it!

You will have a great time! I love Budapest and Amsterdam.

So I'm asking all of the experienced River Cruise People what will you pack for your next river cruise and what will you leave home. We are cruising from Budapest to Amsterdam the last week of September into October. Thanks for your advice!

People on river cruises seem to dress in the a.m. and stay that way till they go to bed. I for one like changing, to me all the clothes i own most are bought with the idea of travel.

Going in the fall layer clothing is good, and underneath no one knows how long you have had it own. Just sit with different people for breakfast then you do for dinner.\ That is if you can get a seat with different people as we found half way thur it got clickish and so seats were being saved in the dining room/ Yes, take rain gear. We did last of Oct/into Nov in 2004 and had misty days.

If your use to traveling I think everyone knows the ropes for dress and how much or less they like dressing up or down.

have a nice cruise

My hubbie and i have booked a river cruise on the danube from budapest to nuremburg with 2 pre days in budapest in march 2011 on viking legend. This thread has helped me alot and I will be checking the weather just before we leave on our flight. I have purchased 2 special small rolling carry ons to put under our seats on the flight to avoid the baggage charges. Now I have some insight as to what to bring and what to avoid putting in those cases.

I usually wear white walking shoes and have to pack a pair of black shoes for dinner when we are cruising. Since I have big feet :p they take up a lot of room. We'll be on a Tulip cruise (Avalon) in April and a Danube (Viking) in September next year. Can I get away with just my white shoes? Also, can I leave my sports jacket and tie at home? We're renting a car with another couple to drive a bit around Germany at the end of our Danube cruise and will have to pack tightly.

So I'm asking all of the experienced River Cruise People what will you pack for your next river cruise and what will you leave home. We are cruising from Budapest to Amsterdam the last week of September into October. Thanks for your advice!

I always take my cashmere pashmina. Use it on the plane if the air is cool and have used it numerous times when touring. If I get too warm I remove it and wrap it around my purse while touring.

I usually wear white walking shoes and have to pack a pair of black shoes for dinner when we are cruising. Since I have big feet :p they take up a lot of room. We'll be on a Tulip cruise (Avalon) in April and a Danube (Viking) in September next year. Can I get away with just my white shoes? Also, can I leave my sports jacket and tie at home? We're renting a car with another couple to drive a bit around Germany at the end of our Danube cruise and will have to pack tightly.

I would answer YES to both questions, but then i don't much care what other people think of the way I'm dressed! :p Being a short female, I have no problem bringing a pair of soft black flats that fold in half, but I can see your dilemma. My husband has black walking shoes that he uses for travel because they can double for dinner....is that a feasible option for you? As to the sports jacket and tie, leave 'em home. River cruising is not that fancy. Someone above said that most people on river cruises dress in the morning and keep the same outfit on till bedtime.....I think that's pretty accurate! :D

I too was going to reply to leave coat and tie home.

If your a jeans person you can wear those forever and no one knows if they are clean or dirty they always look the same---- "awful". saves from packing very much. That time of year for walking and dressing shoes if the blk works for walking I would go with those.

I enjoy clothes and looking nice as does my husband so we are quite detailed in our approach to packing for a trip to Europe.

Last river cruise (our first) we always showered and changed for dinner as did about half of the guests we observed. About 20% of the men on our Avalon cruise had on sport coats most nights, there were not many jeans and most folks were dressed business casual.

For our upcoming cruise, I will pack black dress pants for evenings with several tops to switch off (it will be cold so twin sets, turtlenecks, etc), one pair of black dressy jeans (tailored and boot cut, with embellished pockets) and a Chico's outfit (straight leg black pants and a black wrap top) that I can change up with jewelry and accessories and wear on the dressier nights. Daytime wear will be stirrup pants in a substantial fabric and leggings I can tuck into my boots. For tops, I layer a camisole and a half zip for warmth without bulk.

I pack several pairs of shoes: two for daytime walking, one for evenings on the ship (for me, a dressier mid heel ankle boot) and gym shoes for work outs.

I always carry a pashmina and it comes in handy on the plane and one the boat.

That and a couple of sets of clothes for the gym and I am set. Our total trip is 16 nights this year and we will be on the boat 9.

partner and I took that cruise with Viking in July of this year. By all means, leave the jacket and tie at home. its a very casual atmosphere, you can get buy with a polo or button down for dinner as well asn walking about in the ports.

we thoroughly enjoyed Nurnburg...

The scenery on the Danube was relaxing and beautiful.

Rick

I usually wear white walking shoes and have to pack a pair of black shoes for dinner when we are cruising.

May I make a suggestion? We purchased walking shoes that were black leather. No one realized we were wearing our walkers at dinner. My husband has even been known to wear his SAS black walkers with a tuxedo on formal nights on an ocean cruise.

May I make a suggestion? We purchased walking shoes that were black leather. No one realized we were wearing our walkers at dinner. My husband has even been known to wear his SAS black walkers with a tuxedo on formal nights on an ocean cruise.

My kind of people!!!!:D

You know, I never really thought about it...when it rained I wore whatever shoes I was wearing: hiking boots if we were walking on cobblestones or walking shoes if we weren't. I brought a rain jacket with a hood and zippered pouches for my camera and purse, but never really gave much thought to shoes. I will say this: we did have a few rainy days and I don't ever recall wet shoes being a problem.:o

Hi, I'm going on my first river cruise from Sept. 30th to Oct. 11th. I'm noticing that the temperature in the mornings and evenings will be in the forties. That seems quite cold, and I'd hate to freeze. Does anyone take a Winter jacket? I have a light weight one, but it's still too big to put in my luggage. I'd have to carry it. Has anyone else gone in Oct.? My trip is from Prague to Budapest. Thank you for your help.

we did Budapest to Amsterdam end of Sept. and the weather was beautiful. I didn't bring a winter coat but I did bring a couple of sweaters and a light jacket. I would wear jeans with a tee shirt, covered by a sweater and my pull over rain jacket that acted as a wind breaker. Then as the day progressed, I would peel off layers. I think you'll find everyone who posts on these boards will tell you layers, layers, layers! It may have been unseasonably warm the year we went, 2008, but we even spent one day on the river in shorts. At night it was cool, but the dining room and the lounge are inside so we were comfortable.

we did Budapest to Amsterdam end of Sept. and the weather was beautiful. I didn't bring a winter coat but I did bring a couple of sweaters and a light jacket. I would wear jeans with a tee shirt, covered by a sweater and my pull over rain jacket that acted as a wind breaker. Then as the day progressed, I would peel off layers. I think you'll find everyone who posts on these boards will tell you layers, layers, layers! It may have been unseasonably warm the year we went, 2008, but we even spent one day on the river in shorts. At night it was cool, but the dining room and the lounge are inside so we were comfortable.

Thank you. I'm thinking of a sweat shirt, a vest, and a rain jacket. I'm hoping that works. From what I see of the present weather and the forecasts, there won't be any t-shirts and shorts days.