Need Help Deciding on which Carnival Ship

Liv2bCruzin

Hi Ladies...

I have been on here like all day..ha ha Everyone has given so much wonderful valuable advice. We are planning on making the plunge March 2012. We live in Tampa Florida which makes my favorite activity "Cruising" very easy.

I however am having a hard time making a choice between which ship to choose. I have never cruised on Carnival before I have always been on Princess, RCC, and Celebrity.

I have made the decision to cruise Carnival due to pricing for my guests and the ability to have the wedding in port prior to sailing for non-sailing guests. Before finding this thread I thought I had it all figured out but now I am just so unsure. I know nothing about Carnival at all. The actual ship and ports are very important to us and our family.

So.. In saying that here are my choices I am considering with what I feel feel are pro's and con's for the wedding experience.

#1- 8 DAY on Carnival FREEDOM-Ft Lauderdale, FL-Cozumel, Mexico-Limon, Costa Rica-Colon, Panama-Ft Lauderdale, FL

• I am hesitant to depart out of Ft. Lauderdale do to the fact that I want our friends who live local to not have to drive 3 to 4 hours to Ft. Lauderdale for a few hour wedding and have to leave at the crack of dawn.
  • Will have to stay in hotel rooms in Lauderdale
  • More Expensive Cruise for people
  • With the distance I think I could have a less hectic morning if we depart closer to home
  • Ports myself and several family members have never been to
  • 8 DAYS

#2- 7 DAY on Carnival DREAM Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL-Cozumel, Mexico-Isla Roatan-Costa Maya, Mexico-Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

• Still an hour or so drive for guests

• Will have to stay in Hotel in Orlando
  • Newer larger ship
  • Closer to home
  • ok ports

#3- 7 DAY on Carnival LEGEND Tampa, FL- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands-Cozumel, Mexico- Belize-Isla Roatan Tampa, Fl

• Port is 15 mins from home
  • Easy drive for guests
  • Ok ports
  • Smaller older ship
  • no hotel stays

I am not sure if I have confused you as much as I am.

I know most are thinking why not do what you want for your day however our friends and our family is a very important part of our lives and it means more to us to have everyone together for such a special times in our lives.

If anyone has some input about the cruising experience or any two cents to put in to help me it is much needed.

Hi Ladies...

I have been on here like all day..ha ha Everyone has given so much wonderful valuable advice. We are planning on making the plunge March 2012. We live in Tampa Florida which makes my favorite activity "Cruising" very easy.

I however am having a hard time making a choice between which ship to choose. I have never cruised on Carnival before I have always been on Princess, RCC, and Celebrity.

I have made the decision to cruise Carnival due to pricing for my guests and the ability to have the wedding in port prior to sailing for non-sailing guests. Before finding this thread I thought I had it all figured out but now I am just so unsure. I know nothing about Carnival at all. The actual ship and ports are very important to us and our family.

So.. In saying that here are my choices I am considering with what I feel feel are pro's and con's for the wedding experience.

#1- 8 DAY on Carnival FREEDOM-Ft Lauderdale, FL-Cozumel, Mexico-Limon, Costa Rica-Colon, Panama-Ft Lauderdale, FL

• I am hesitant to depart out of Ft. Lauderdale do to the fact that I want our friends who live local to not have to drive 3 to 4 hours to Ft. Lauderdale for a few hour wedding and have to leave at the crack of dawn.
  • Will have to stay in hotel rooms in Lauderdale
  • More Expensive Cruise for people
  • With the distance I think I could have a less hectic morning if we depart closer to home
  • Ports myself and several family members have never been to
  • 8 DAYS

#2- 7 DAY on Carnival DREAM Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL-Cozumel, Mexico-Isla Roatan-Costa Maya, Mexico-Port Canaveral (Orlando), FL

• Still an hour or so drive for guests

• Will have to stay in Hotel in Orlando
  • Newer larger ship
  • Closer to home
  • ok ports

#3- 7 DAY on Carnival LEGEND Tampa, FL- Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands-Cozumel, Mexico- Belize-Isla Roatan Tampa, Fl

• Port is 15 mins from home
  • Easy drive for guests
  • Ok ports
  • Smaller older ship
  • no hotel stays

I am not sure if I have confused you as much as I am.

I know most are thinking why not do what you want for your day however our friends and our family is a very important part of our lives and it means more to us to have everyone together for such a special times in our lives.

If anyone has some input about the cruising experience or any two cents to put in to help me it is much needed.

I am doing a wedding on the Legend in January and would be happy to share my experience then! BTW I am still looking for a hair/makeup artist. Since you are local - any recommendations?

i would go with with either the Legend or Freedom. Been on Legend twice and Dream once...never been on Freedom, but I love the 8 Day cruises. if family and friends are more important then I would say go with the Legend. I was married on there in June of 09 and the ship is great! if you have any questions let me know and i will be happy to assist you...

I'm getting married on the Legend on May 8, 2011 next year so I am a little biased!

We chose the Legend over all other cruise ships (we are traveling from Canada) for a couple of reasons:

1. The smaller size ship. Less people means less lineups for getting on and off the boat and it won't feel as crowded (esp. compared to reviews of the Dream feeling really crowded) The layout of the Spirit class ships is supposed to be easier to navigate for first time cruisers as well (which about 1/2 our guests will be)

2. The reviews! So many reviews on this board rate the Legend as a great ship. It is almost always in the top of its class and is mentioned more favourably than not in most cases.

3. The price. The cost of going on the Legend when we booked was quite low compared to other ships. As well for us, the flights in and out of Tampa were reasonable compared to the other ports.

4. This was probably the number 1 reason. lol. The port of calls. I really wanted to see Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. It also only had 1 Mexico stop vs. 2 which was a benefit since some of our guests have concerns over the stops in Mexico with the violence.

5. The port - many reviews have mentioned how easy it is to embark / disembark and how it is much nicer than Miami.

And I wouldn't worry about the ship being "old"! It goes into dry-dock next year in February so it will be well maintained when you are looking at sailing!

Good luck choosing! I know for us it wasn't easy. We created a spread sheet comparing costs of wedding at each port (including ease of getting a marriage license) as well as which ports the ships went to and the price so we could easily see how they all stacked up.

I am doing a wedding on the Legend in January and would be happy to share my experience then! BTW I am still looking for a hair/makeup artist. Since you are local - any recommendations?

VM Mom! Unfortunately even though I live here I sadly don't have anyone that I would recommend for hair and makeup, however I will be on the search as well. I will for sure let you know if and when I come across anything.

i would go with with either the Legend or Freedom. Been on Legend twice and Dream once...never been on Freedom, but I love the 8 Day cruises. if family and friends are more important then I would say go with the Legend. I was married on there in June of 09 and the ship is great! if you have any questions let me know and i will be happy to assist you...

I will be needing several questions to be anwsered that is forsure! I already have a large mental list lol....once I get things sorted out in my head I will be a posting fool! Do have some pics from around the Legend? The ones online are hard to see things and get a feel! Hey is there the large jumbotron at the pool on the Legend?

I'm getting married on the Legend on May 8, 2011 next year so I am a little biased!

We chose the Legend over all other cruise ships (we are traveling from Canada) for a couple of reasons:

1. The smaller size ship. Less people means less lineups for getting on and off the boat and it won't feel as crowded (esp. compared to reviews of the Dream feeling really crowded) The layout of the Spirit class ships is supposed to be easier to navigate for first time cruisers as well (which about 1/2 our guests will be)

2. The reviews! So many reviews on this board rate the Legend as a great ship. It is almost always in the top of its class and is mentioned more favourably than not in most cases.

3. The price. The cost of going on the Legend when we booked was quite low compared to other ships. As well for us, the flights in and out of Tampa were reasonable compared to the other ports.

4. This was probably the number 1 reason. lol. The port of calls. I really wanted to see Belize, Roatan and Grand Cayman. It also only had 1 Mexico stop vs. 2 which was a benefit since some of our guests have concerns over the stops in Mexico with the violence.

5. The port - many reviews have mentioned how easy it is to embark / disembark and how it is much nicer than Miami.

And I wouldn't worry about the ship being "old"! It goes into dry-dock next year in February so it will be well maintained when you are looking at sailing!

Good luck choosing! I know for us it wasn't easy. We created a spread sheet comparing costs of wedding at each port (including ease of getting a marriage license) as well as which ports the ships went to and the price so we could easily see how they all stacked up.

Thank you so much!! A lot of Pros I way needed to hear!!!! Hey what areas are the ceremony and reception held? I am thinking I am like more than 80% sure I am going to choose Legend!!!!!

I will be needing several questions to be anwsered that is forsure! I already have a large mental list lol....once I get things sorted out in my head I will be a posting fool! Do have some pics from around the Legend? The ones online are hard to see things and get a feel! Hey is there the large jumbotron at the pool on the Legend?

Here are a couple of photos of the Legend's chapel that my Carnival WC shared with me.

Huh- cruise critic won't let me attach that file. If you want to give me your email, I'd be glad to send it to you!

I have my wedding photos on my facebook page, you can search me Kelly Bonfanti and when you request me please write Cruise Critic. The legend does not have the large jumbotron...as far as the wedding location mine was in the Satchmo's Lounge and the reception was in the disco as I had the DJ...

VM Mom! Unfortunately even though I live here I sadly don't have anyone that I would recommend for hair and makeup, however I will be on the search as well. I will for sure let you know if and when I come across anything.

Here is the company that I used for my Hair. they came to my hotel the morning of and did mine and my 5 bridemaids hair...they were very reasonable in pricing

http://www.kylelynn.com/weddings/

Here is the company that I used for my Hair. they came to my hotel the morning of and did mine and my 5 bridemaids hair...they were very reasonable in pricing

http://www.kylelynn.com/weddings/

Out of curiosity, how many stylists were there and how long did it take?

I'm going to have 6 ppl wanting hair and makeup done, but since we are doing the tea ceremony before the cruise wedding I need to be done by 9 am. I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible!

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how many stylists were there and how long did it take?

I'm going to have 6 ppl wanting hair and makeup done, but since we are doing the tea ceremony before the cruise wedding I need to be done by 9 am. I'm trying to figure out if this is even possible!

Thanks!

We had 2 stylists come, we all did our own makeup and I had a friend do mine... I want to say they came either at 6:30 or 7, we were all done fairly quickly, i forget the exact time... I am sure if you tell them the time that you need to be done they can work with you....

Archived