My First HAL cruise

mikishel

Just had my first HAL cruise – Alaska Oosterdam. Yes, I enjoyed it but I expected more.

After cruising Carnival for my first few cruises, I was blown away when I cruised on Royal Caribbean. Then I was blown away again when I tried my first Celebrity cruise. I had heard so much about how great HAL was I just knew I would be blown away again. Not so much.

I found the service to be the same as the other lines, with Celebrity a bit higher. The entertainment (singers and dancers) was lackluster. They performed to prerecorded music (not a live band), so that could be the reason.

I didn’t care much for the décor - so much orange. What was that all about?

It was the most geriatric cruise I had ever been on. I would say 85% were 65 or older. I had expected that from reading these boards, but I was also surprised to find a lot of middle aged folks and even some younger ones in their 20s and a few children also.

Things I liked about HAL: The best thing was the bed. It was so comfortable! Best night’s sleep I’ve ever had on a cruise. Also loved the Promenade deck. I loved the power walks in the morning. I liked the tub, and even though I only showered, at least I didn’t get water all over the floor for a change. Nice touch, too, that every room had robes and the HAL tote bag

Again, I enjoyed the cruise but I just wasn’t blown away. I found it a bit too sedate for my taste. If I could compare it to music, I would say HAL is Lawrence Welk, Celebrity is Michael Buble, Royal Caribbean is John Mayer, Carnival is Justin Timberlake. That may only make sense to me and no one else, however.

Would I cruise HAL again? Probably, if friends were going and they preferred HAL or if I wanted a specific itinerary that only HAL provided. I am a friend of HAL, but just not a close friend.

If I could compare it to music, I would say HAL is Lawrence Welk, Celebrity is Michael Buble, Royal Caribbean is John Mayer, Carnival is Justin Timberlake. That may only make sense to me and no one else, however.

Makes total sense to me! And that's why I sail HAL.

Thanks for your report, and putting it in terms I can understand. ;)

Makes total sense to me! And that's why I sail HAL.

Thanks for your report, and putting it in terms I can understand. ;)

I'm with you Ruth on this one.

Originally Posted by mikishel viewpost.gif

If I could compare it to music, I would say HAL is Lawrence Welk, Celebrity is Michael Buble, Royal Caribbean is John Mayer, Carnival is Justin Timberlake. That may only make sense to me and no one else, however.

Even though I cannot stand Lawrence Welk and my taste runs more to Rock, My tastes in cruises is definitely more towards an understated genteel environment. I can rock and roll all I want with my headphones on and also enjoy the quiet time on deck.

My memories of the Oosterdam's decor are deep blues, purples, and turquoises. Don't remember any orange. Isn't it funny that you noticed lots of orange and I can't recall any?

Roz

Just had my first HAL cruise – Alaska Oosterdam. Yes, I enjoyed it but I expected more.

After cruising Carnival for my first few cruises, I was blown away when I cruised on Royal Caribbean. Then I was blown away again when I tried my first Celebrity cruise. I had heard so much about how great HAL was I just knew I would be blown away again. ......

HAL is not known to "blow people away". It is quiet, reserved and more old fashion traditional. And that is what blows most of us away who love these HAL ships. Sorry you did not pick this up because these more quiet features of HAL ships are what get mentioned (and appreciated) the most here. HAL is great.

Great review and this description of the music is perfect.....after my first HAL cruise, I loaded up my ipod and brought it along! Overall, HAL will still be my cruise line of choice!

Thanks so much for coming back to share comments with us. I agree with those who commented some of the things you didn't care for on HAL are what brings us back again and again. Truly sorry to hear you did not experience the wonderful HAL service we've become accustomed to.

It's fabulous you try different cruise lines and can find the one(s) that are most to your taste.

Hope your next cruise is more to your liking.

Just had my first HAL cruise – Alaska Oosterdam.

I didn’t care much for the décor - so much orange. What was that all about?

I

HAL has four ships in this Vista class - each got a signature color combination. Oosterdam - (east) got the colors of the sunrise apparently. The Zuiderdam got darker reds, purples and burgundies. Westerdam it appears got blues and gold and the Noordam more the earth tone neutrals. By all accounts, the Noordam as the last Vista ship to go online got (and retained) the best in both layout and decor.

HAL is not known to "blow people away". It is quiet, reserved and more old fashion traditional. And that is what blows most of us away who love these HAL ships. Sorry you did not pick this up because these more quiet features of HAL ships are what get mentioned (and appreciated) the most here. HAL is great.

We went with my sister and brother in law. They had been on two cruises before - one on an older independent cruise of Hawaii (doesn't exist anymore). The other was NCL Pride of America. She says, as I had heard before, that the service was awful. She had never had a good cruise experience and had almost given up on cruising. We picked HAL so she could have a more traditional cruise experience.

Well, she was totally blown away by HAL. Unlike me, she had never had such great service. Because of this cruise, she is totally into cruising now and can't wait to go again. She kept saying "so this is how it is supposed to be!" She fell in love with the wait staff, even the Lido staff. She had her favorite waiter in the Lido (breakfast and lunch), who gave her and husband extra TLC. They became fast friends with our sommelier too. She was surprised by and loved the towel animals in her room every night. It was a joy for me to see a first time real cruise experience through her eyes.

Archived