Can I Just Get a Taxi from the Rome Airport?

gemz

Without pre-booking a taxi, is it possible for us to just grab a taxi outside the main airport in Rome to take us to our hotel?

I assume your hotel is in Rome. Answer to your question is yes. Going rate is, I believe, Euro 45. Possibly more depending upon luggage.

The fixed fare for a taxi from Rome Fiumicino to downtown Rome right now is 40 Euro. It will be going up soon, rumor says to 45 Euro in November, but I have not yet seen that officially confirmed (the city web site still says 40). As for luggage, the first bag is free, every bag after that is one Euro each.

When you exit the airport terminal be sure you look for the line to wait for taxis. If anyone approaches you about taking a cab and not having to wait in line DO NOT GO WITH HIM. These are unofficial cabs not licensed by the City of Rome and they will charge you an arm and a leg. Official Rome taxis are white with black lettering and they all have a name and number on the side, such as "Roma 23" or "Palermo 16." You cannot hail a cab on the street in Rome, in most circumstances. You go to a taxi rank and wait for the next cab to arrive. For detailed information on cabs in Rome, and much more, go to the website of "Ron in Rome". Just google him.

• 2 weeks later...

For 45 Euros, you can book with a company that will have a driver waiting for you with your name held up. Romecabs charged us (2) people) 45 Euros. He was right on time, the Mercedes van was comfortable, clean, and no problems with the language.

For 45 Euros, you can book with a company that will have a driver waiting for you with your name held up. Romecabs charged us (2) people) 45 Euros. He was right on time, the Mercedes van was comfortable, clean, and no problems with the language.

We also used Stefano on our last trip. He was booked to pick us up but due to mechanical problems with our plane in Houston, we were 9 hours late getting into Rome :eek: We weren't sure exactly what time we would arrive so I called him from Paris and explained situation. So we took a taxi in (like we did our first trip) Just as easy. We did use him for hotel-port, port to hotel and hotel to airport on the same trip.

Do rome taxis take credit cards? I am trying to decide how much 'cash in hand' I need to take with me.

Athough Article 30, subpoint 3 of the Rome taxi rules (see City of Rome web site here: http://www.comune.roma.it/was/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_21L?menuPage=/Area_di_navigazione/Sezioni_del_portale/Dipartimenti_e_altri_uffici/Dipartimento_mobilit-13-_e_trasporti/Trasporto_pubb-9-_non_di_linea/TAXI/Regolamento_comunale/&flagSub=) says that payment is accepted via credit and debit cards, I wouldn't count on it. There are several ATM machines at FCO (Rome Fiumicino airport) where you can get cash before getting into a cab, just in case.

Archived