Which Excursions? Jewel of the Seas - Dec 2010

Geaux Fish

I, DW, and 5-yr old DD will be on JOS Dec 13-24. Our ports of call include Oranjestad, Aruba; Cartagena, Columbia; Colon, Panama; Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, and George Town, Grand Cayman.

So, oh wise members of CC, what excursions/places/events/whatever do you think are "Must See/Do" in these ports? We're very excited as this is the longest cruise we've ever been on, and we want to make the best of it! :D We're not 100% against booking things through RCI, but I know there's tons of other stuff to do on our own.

Many thanks in advance!!! :)

We were on the Jewel last Nov. and did the same itin. you are doing. In Aruba we just walked around. In Cartagena we did a ship tour called the 'Best of Cartagena". In Colon we did a ship tour called "Panama Canal Tour". In Costa Rica we did the " Tortuguero Canal and Banana Plantation Tour." What every you choose to do , do not go out on your own in Colon. We were traveling with a group of friends and one of the guys in our group was born in Colon and he warned not to leave the pier area on our own. These excursions might be a little boring for you child.

Good Luck and Happy Sailing. That was the second time we sailed on the Jewel. She a beautiful ship and our favorite so far.

Judi :)

We did this sailing. Sorry, no kids, just me and DH.

We were warned that Cartagena was bad for pick-pocketers. So, in Cartagena we left our jewelry in the safe and we took a taxi from the port to city wall. Walked around on our own. There were government guides there who would give you a walking tour. I wish we did that since the natives kind of follow you to sell their wares. Just be firm with your no's. If you look and touch, they will keep after you to buy. Then we stopped in main plaza for something to drink. It was very pleasant sitting there watching the hustle and bustle. It was like traveling Europe 40 years ago, before tourists ruled. I loved it.

The previous poster is correct. In Colon some crew members got beaten up in Colon when they went for a walk outside of the pier area. Don't walk out of the pier area, take a tour or taxi. We took a taxi to the canal and watched a tanker go thru the locks. It was really amazing to see. Then the taxi driver took us around showing what there is to see in the immediate area. I'll warn you, there's not too much. We spoke to one passenger who took the train to the Pacific Coast. It was an excursion thru RCI and he said it was the best thing he ever did. Another couple went to Panama City on their own via train. They loved the city.

In Puerto Limon we took a private tour with a non-English speaking driver and a young guide, Joseph, who just turned 16. It was just the 2 of us. We went out to the rain forest and on the way back we visited a banana plantation. It was wonderful. He brought us to his mother's table at the arcade across from the ship. Lots of good buys but it was so hot. I mean soooo hot, we just wanted to go back to the ship at that point.

For Aruba and Grand Cayman we went to the beach. It was great to relax.

We love the Jewel. We do the TA and repo cruise often (since we're from Boston).

Have a great cruise.

Archived