per epic: no water or sodas !

lovinacruise

We have always filled a small suitcase or bag with soda & water and sent it through with our luggage. While on the EPIC, we had our steward empty our fridge & we filled it with our soda & water. Never knew it wasn't allowed. :eek:Anything left we leave for the steward.

We have always filled a small suitcase or bag with soda & water and sent it through with our luggage. While on the EPIC' date=' we had our steward empty our fridge & we filled it with our soda & water. Never knew it wasn't allowed. :eek:Anything left we leave for the steward.

It is allowed. Don't sweat it. If you read the rules, NCL also doesn't allow you to bring wine on board, but in fact they do if you pay a corkage fee...but you won't find a word about it on NCL's Web site.

When they want to disallow it, they'll prevent passengers for bringing it on board.

Flying definitely forces you to think differently.

Which brings this up....

I'm always wondering how the TSA allows cruise passengers to bring liquor bottles on the plane. Isn't that a potential weapon? Wouldn't that be more dangerous than lets say a razor? Maybe they changed the procedure & take the bottles from you now?

This is not the normal advise staff members would give cruisers. Are you saying staff members as in management or are you referring to the crew?

As for smuggling stuff back into the states, I don't think most of us even worry. On the declaration card they simple ask you what you purchased and did you spend over X number of $$S. We have always listed misc and the amount we have spent. Never have the customs people bothered with asking us to pay extra if we went over on the booze. As for going over on the duty free stuff in the shops, unless one buys a very expensive piece of Jewelry this is pretty unlikely as well.

Nita

We were specifically asked about liquor and cigarettes and duty was charged on the 1 bottle over.

The man in the shop was not wearing a uniform so I would suppose that actually makes him crew. correct?

Which brings this up....

I'm always wondering how the TSA allows cruise passengers to bring liquor bottles on the plane. Isn't that a potential weapon? Wouldn't that be more dangerous than lets say a razor? Maybe they changed the procedure & take the bottles from you now?

They would need to be checked.

We were specifically asked about liquor and cigarettes and duty was charged on the 1 bottle over.

The man in the shop was not wearing a uniform so I would suppose that actually makes him crew. correct?

It sounds like he was an employee of the duty free shop and not NCL itself, but if you were charged duty, I guess you had a really tough customs guy. We just always put down, as I said, misc items and have never been questioned. I am not sure if we have actually brought back more than we are entitled to bring, but I think we have.

I do remember (many years ago) daughter and I were returning from DR. This was when we could bring booze on board. Anyway, I had planned carrying a straw bag on the plane but because it the plane was so full I had to send it through. Needless to say, it had a bottle in it and needless to say the bottle broke, OMG, everything smelled like run when the bag came through and that one bottle put me over my limit. I was charged duty. When I questioned the guy, explaining it never really made it to this country, his answer "you bought it with the intentions of bringing it to America, didn't you?" I paid the few dollars but wasn't a happy individual. Some can be so cranky, others can't be bothered with charging for one bottle over the limit.

NIta

I'm really surprised at the people on this board that bash people that bring soda and water. I can understand the feelings against smuggling booze, but soda? Come on, now. People will bring too much booze on and be perpetually drunk and can hurt themselves...but what harm will soda or water do? Some people scrape pennies together for years to be able to cruise...if they need to save $$ by bringing on soda, why judge them?:(

I agree with the poster that says the NCL rules regarding soda are about $$...and I agree with the poster that says that if NCL was really serious about the soda/water rule, they would be searching for it as intently as they do booze.

I will never understand how judgemental people on here are, some of you just astound me.:mad:

Our last cruise was on the Spirit the end of August. We brought a 12 pk. of lemonade because we don't drink Coke or Pepsi and can only drink so much iced tea. Personal preference does not make one cheap, just smart. Oh, and if a rule makes no sense whatsoever I love breaking it.

The people bringing soda on board are usually the people with vodka in their mouthwash....(like me)

I don't understand all this talk about $50 soda packages. If you cruise often enough, you just peel the the sticker off of your last card, and stick it on your new card, right?

I guess my Coke stickers won't work anymore, now that they switched to Pepsi.

IMHO this crosses a line from thrift to theft. At least bringing soda / water on does not cost the line their resources. People that do things like this sticker swapping will impact policy for all of us.

Many Epic travelers have brought sodas and water on board simply by dropping a case off with the porter and putting a luggage label on it. This has not been restricted, and has not been "covert". I don't know if this a change in policy or if you're getting bad information from the phone representative.

we just came back 9/11 and we did exactly as Mike just said and no problems at all

zwavin.gif I am one of those people! My Dr has told me to avoid caffeine. So what besides water, is available in cold sugar-free, caffeine-free, no-additional-cost offerings? Iced tea has caffeine so it's out. We're going to be sailing for 2 weeks and I will definitely want to drink a soda or two while sitting on my balcony. I have been thinking of bringing a couple cases of caffeine-free diet pepsi onboard because it's so hard to find and most places that hold you hostage to buy their drinks (ie movie theatres, concerts, sporting events and oh yeah... cruise lines) don't carry it.

I totally empathise. I have to follow a strict sugar-free diet. I do enjoy Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi (especially with a vodka added), but the caffeine content prevents me from sleeping if I drink it late in the evening. I'm hoping to purchase Diet Sprite and/or Diet Dr Pepper when I get to Miami to take on board in my carry on trolley case.

Carol

That's ironic...asked a question, received an answer, didn't like the answer, asked another question to avoid original answer.

Why not just purchase the water and/or soda package on board. I recall them having a bottled water package. If you don't like the soda's offered, perhaps iced tea will suffice for a week?

What's ironic is your misuse of the word ironic. :cool:

THE WEBSITE SAYS YOU CANNOT BRING ON BOARD ANY INTOXICATING LIQUORS OR BEVERAGES! THE KEY WORD BEING INTOXICATING...

(liquor is straight up. An intoxicating beverage would be a bottled wine cooler or mixed drink, etc)

SODAS AND WATER IS OKAY...

THE WEBSITE SAYS YOU CANNOT BRING ON BOARD ANY INTOXICATING LIQUORS OR BEVERAGES! THE KEY WORD BEING INTOXICATING...

(liquor is straight up. An intoxicating beverage would be a bottled wine cooler or mixed drink, etc)

SODAS AND WATER IS OKAY...

That's how I interpreted it.

Which brings this up....

The airlines do NOT allow you to bring bottles on board as carry on. It has to be checked and then you run the risk of being over the weight limit, which is what happened to us...$75 in baggage fees, so duty free turned out not to be, lol!

The airlines do NOT allow you to bring bottles on board as carry on. It has to be checked and then you run the risk of being over the weight limit, which is what happened to us...$75 in baggage fees, so duty free turned out not to be, lol!

This isn't always true. Last month I carried liquor I purchased duty free at the airport onto the plane. No problem. It was in a sealed bag. This was a flight originating overseas (London) so maybe things are different in US airports.

Archived