Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

On the days we spent there pre-cruise in 2011, there must not have been any large ships (course they're larger these days) in port.  At least I don't remember many throngs of people except for a few student groups.  We stayed very near St. Marks and visited a number of areas around the city including the Lido, which is a totally different kind of place.  The latter must be on somewhat higher ground (it's a barrier island) as there are handsome homes on tree-lined streets on the side facing the lagoon.  I didn't have time to go to the ocean-facing side where the beaches are.

23 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

We stayed 4 nights and it was nice walking around without throngs of people.  

Nice background, experiences and follow-up above from Barb and gfkcruiser.  Both are smart neighbors from north of us in Michigan.  Great sharing!!

From the Travel Section of the Sydney Morning Herald and other Fairfax newspapers in Australia two days ago, they had this headline: Venice, Italy travel guide: The secret Venice tourists don't know about” with these highlights about nearby and less crowded options near this historic city: “Here in Burano the streets are ghost-town empty this morning, it's an island at peace but for the urgent thud of those approaching steps.  Once that first vaporetto has cast off lines and chugged away, Burano will be quiet once again, its canals glassy, its old stone alleyways deserted, its charmingly wonky belltower silent in the pastel morning glow.

Here is more on another nearby option: "We'd arrived to begin our cruise in the town of Precenicco, a blink-and-you'll-miss-it village in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of north-eastern Italy. The town may seem obscure, but it provides ideal access to a network of canals, rivers and channels that eventually link up with the Venetian Lagoon some 50 kilometres south-west."

Full story at:

http://www.traveller.com.au/venice-italy-how-to-see-the-parts-most-visitors-dont-even-know-exist-h1fpne

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 222,640 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

On 3/11/2019 at 7:56 AM, TLCOhio said:

n July, for our first time, we will be seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, Denali, etc. After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for visiting Galápagos, etc. Just need people to send money and/or arrange for me to get commissions as my posts inspire your future travel plans. Or, need to win a big Lottery for more money to explore the world.

We also are looking into the Rocky Mountaineer trip.  A friend did it from Vancouver to Calgary.  Train and bus.  Looking forward to your review and tips.

Gail

3 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

We also are looking into the Rocky Mountaineer trip.  A friend did it from Vancouver to Calgary.  Train and bus.  Looking forward to your review and tips.  Gail

For Gail, I might offer an upfront "WARNING" that a friend has prepared me to consider before booking.  It's not cheap doing the Rocky Mountaineer trip.  Sorry!!  There is also a choice of Gold Leaf versus Silver Leaf.  It can add up quickly!!   BUT, the quality and value are there, per others who have done it.  We are just doing two days on the Rocky Mountaineer rail.  Others will do four days of rail trail, making a loop around from Vancouver with time in the middle for these two scenic National Parks.  

For BennyBear, appreciate your kind comments and this good follow-up: "Enjoy cowtown and the Rockies!   When are you going?"  Had not previously heard of Calgary being called "cowtown".  Fun!!  We depart the morning of July 16.  One night in Calgary at the Marriott near their 191 metres/626.64 feet high Calgary Tower.  Then pick up our rental car and have two nights each in Banff and Jasper.  July 21 and 22 will be riding the Rocky Mountaineer rail, two-level cars.  Yes, we are doing the Gold Leaf, allow more flexibility and an outdoor observation area to maximize photo opportunities. Will have July 23-25 in Vancouver.  Does this help as to our overall plan and timing?  Other suggestions, tips, ideas?

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Oh you will miss the stampede and free pancake breakfasts!  Rodeo and chuck wagons, fireworks!  It ends the 14 th.   Make sure to eat some  Alberta beef,  the palliser hotel or charcut are near you.   Visit the Glenbow museum attached to your hotel.  

Overall a great plan,  visit Bow falls,  lake Minnewanka, Johnson canyon and walk by the river in Banff.   Across the bridge on the bow river is a lovely park.  Visit the Banff springs hotel,  have a drink or dinner.  We honeymooned there, ages ago!   

Stop at Lake Louise, moraine lake, Peyto lake for its amazing colour on your way up the ice fields parkway.   Visit lake Annette, the Jasper tramway, Maligne canyon, spirit island.....

in Vancouver,  enjoy great fish, amazing sushi and some of the best Chinese food.   Walk along the harbour,  there is great gelato nearby.   Visit Stanley park,  take a water taxi by false creek.   There are some beautiful gardens,  Van Duesen,  bloedel conservatory.  

just a few highlights!  

Enjoy!  

On 7/6/2019 at 4:54 PM, bennybear said:

Oh you will miss the stampede and free pancake breakfasts!  Rodeo and chuck wagons, fireworks!  It ends the 14 th.   Make sure to eat some  Alberta beef,  the palliser hotel or charcut are near you.   Visit the Glenbow museum attached to your hotel.  Overall a great plan,  visit Bow falls,  lake Minnewanka, Johnson canyon and walk by the river in Banff.   Across the bridge on the bow river is a lovely park.  Visit the Banff springs hotel,  have a drink or dinner.  We honeymooned there, ages ago!   

Stop at Lake Louise, moraine lake, Peyto lake for its amazing colour on your way up the ice fields parkway.   Visit lake Annette, the Jasper tramway, Maligne canyon, spirit island..... in Vancouver,  enjoy great fish, amazing sushi and some of the best Chinese food.   Walk along the harbour,  there is great gelato nearby.   Visit Stanley park,  take a water taxi by false creek.   There are some beautiful gardens,  Van Duesen,  bloedel conservatory.  just a few highlights!  Enjoy!  

WOW!!  Super wonderful tips, ideas and insights.  Yes, have copied and saved this great list of suggestions to my laptop trip file.  So much to see and do in these scenic areas.  Just one week from tomorrow morning when we take off for Calgary.  Let me know any other potentials to consider.  Good or bad, we will miss the crowds connected with the famed Calgary Stampede.  Maybe at a later time we will get to sample that event.  

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,797 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 4 weeks later...

Your photos are beautiful!!!!

Could you comment on how much I should expect to pay for a flight to Venice from the U.S.? We are cruising in June 2020 and I am anxious to book a flight but I am not certain when I can expect the best fares. Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sher

On 7/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, sherin65 said:

Your photos are beautiful!!!!   Could you comment on how much I should expect to pay for a flight to Venice from the U.S.? We are cruising in June 2020 and I am anxious to book a flight but I am not certain when I can expect the best fares. Any experience you can share would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Sher

Appreciate Sher's very nice follow-up, positive photo comments and good question.  For air flights into Venice, it is not easy and simple.  Sorry!!  Venice is a "secondary" airport compared to the "biggies" at Milan and Rome.  Not as many options and good flight potentials.  What airport would you be flying from?   Therefore, it can be more challenging to find good "deals" and flights with the best, quickest connections.  Just keep searching and planning.   For us, a number of years back, we flew into Milan, got a rental car and went up to Lake Como and spectacular Bellagio for some excellent R&R time before driving to Venice and dropping our car.  Do your checking and research.  Consider the many options for pricing, timing, number of connections. No sure timing as to when to buy that ticket versus waiting till later.   If it seem challenging, that is not you.  It's just the "REALITY" for Venice's relatively small airport and their limited number of ideal options.  

Just completed yesterday, for our first time, flying into Calgary, seeing Jasper/Banff National Parks, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.  In 2014, we did Wellington, Napier/Cape Kidnappers, Tauranga/Rotorua and Auckland/Waiheke Island, etc.  Will welcome all good suggestion for other exciting opportunities and fun locations in NZ's North Island.  More good photo opportunities??

Just completed Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Lots of visuals and details!!  That live/blog is at: 

www.boards.cruisecdritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Or, you could simply do a quick Google search with these terms: 

“Live Terry/Ohio Muse Alaska”

Terry, there's a typo in the link you posted:  a "d" in the midst of cruisecritic in the link.

I'm just now catching up with your travels.  Have skimmed through your posts and photos.  Many brought back memories from our 2 trips out to Banff by car).  Thanks for posting.  I look forward to "completing" the journey.

When we did a cruise from Venice in Oct 2011, we flew on USAir from Detroit to Philly to Venice.  Must have arranged through Princess since we usually fly Delta.

Edited by BarbinMich

9 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Terry, there's a typo in the link you posted:  a "d" in the midst of cruisecritic in the link.  I'm just now catching up with your travels.  Have skimmed through your posts and photos.  Many brought back memories from our 2 trips out to Banff by car).  Thanks for posting.  I look forward to "completing" the journey.

Appreciate so much you catching of this "goof".  Have corrected and will update the other post with this better link.  Sharp eye and smart brain!!  Glad that I was able to bring back memories from Banff, etc. 

CORRECT LINK

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

On 7/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, sherin65 said:

Your photos are beautiful!!!!

Could you comment on how much I should expect to pay for a flight to Venice from the U.S.? We are cruising in June 2020 and I am anxious to book a flight but I am not certain when I can expect the best fares. Any experience you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sher

I booked airfare and hotels for this year through Delta Vacations.  I had a very difficult time finding affordable flights from North Carolina to Venice.  I knew I wanted Delta flights.  I tried something new and that was calling the Delta Vacations line listed on the airline website.  I am impressed.  I was able to book 2 nights in Venice pre-cruise, the exact flights I wanted in comfort seats, travel insurance and 2 nights in Barcelona post cruise for about the same amount of money I would have paid just for the airline tickets.

Through the Delta "bundling" of hotels with the airfare, they are able to present a very favorable price point.  I will most certainly use them again next year for our Europe travel.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Here is more from the New York Times Travel Section two weeks ago regarding the flooding.  They had this headline: “The Flooding of Venice: What Tourists Need to Know” with these highlights: “The high water that devastated Venice this month — flooding its streets, its squares, its landmark churches — has prompted a political storm in Italy, fresh concerns about climate change and debates about how to protect one of the world’s most treasured cities.  The city was built on a group of islands and islets in a lagoon separated from the Adriatic Sea by a thin stretch of land. Two rivers empty out in this lagoon, or laguna.  Three canals run through that stretch of land, allowing in ships — and Adriatic Sea water. When the tide rises, the seawater enters the laguna; when the tide falls, it exits. That happens twice a day, every day, resulting in a mix of seawater and fresh water.  Besides being brackish, Venice’s water is also highly polluted, since sewage water continues to be dumped in the canals. Sometimes strong winds and bad weather contribute to unusually high tides, which typically last between two and four hours. When Venetians talk about acqua alta, they mean a tide of 80 or more centimeters (about 2 feet) above the mean sea level. It’s a recurring phenomenon, especially in November and the winter months.”

Much addition background and details have been provided, including: "In what was the worst flood for Venice since 1966, the high water on Nov. 12 reached 184 centimeters, or 6 feet, above sea level.  A combination of rising tides and winds of more than 75 miles per hour from two different directions caused massive waves to crash into Venice.  St. Mark’s crypt and mosaic floor have been damaged, the baroque church of St. Moses and the city university, in a 15th-century Gothic palace, have been flooded."

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/20/travel/venice-flooding.html

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 249,597 views.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail in the past week, they had this headline: “Venice hotel bookings at low ebb after record floods: Plea for visitors to return” with these sub-head highlights: “In November Venice suffered its worst week of flooding since records began. The cost of the damage was estimated at 1 billion euros (around £835.6 million).  Hoteliers reported a 45 per cent cancellation rate and new bookings are down”.

Here are some more details from their reporting: "Tourists are turning their backs on Venice after a series of exceptionally high tides left part of the city underwater last month. Hotel booking figures have plunged, bringing fresh economic woe to the lagoon city.  Beloved around the world for its canals, historic architecture and art, Venice suffered its worst week of flooding in mid-November since records began in 1872, recording four tides above 140cm (4.59ft) in just seven days. Venice attracts more than 25 million visitors each year, with the tourism industry raking in around three billion euros (£2.5billion) annually from tourist trade in hotels and shops."

Full story at:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-7777065/Venice-hotel-bookings-low-ebb-post-flood-cancellations.html

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 238,136

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:19 PM, TLCOhio said:

St. Mark’s crypt and mosaic floor have been damaged, the baroque church of St. Moses and the city university, in a 15th-century Gothic palace, have been flooded."

I am one who always visits the crypts and underground spaces whenever possible; that is where one usually sees the oldest portions of surviving buildings -- especially churches -- and gets a better idea of how they originally looked. I've twice been in the crypt at St. Mark's, which is very atmospheric (and even then, the lowest levels were slightly under water). And last November when I spent a few days in Venice, I also visited the (always) flooded crypt of San Zaccaria, which is on a campo not far behind St. Mark's and has a beautiful Romanesque feel -- it's included in Atlas Obscura, for those interested:   https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-flooded-crypt-of-san-zaccaria-venice-italy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am one who always visits the crypts and underground spaces whenever possible; that is where one usually sees the oldest portions of surviving buildings -- especially churches -- and gets a better idea of how they originally looked.

Appreciate these great above comments, details and follow-up by the super experience and wise cruisemom42.  Great, helpful background!! 

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph today, they had this headline: “48 hours in . . . Venice, an insider guide to the City of Water” with these highlights: “There are days when visitors to this exquisite jewel box of a city outnumber locals two-to-one, and when getting from the station to St Mark's square is a battle. But despite this, Venice never loses its capacity to enchant: stepping out of the station to be greeted by a glittering canal with the dome of San Simeon Piccolo beyond remains heart-stopping, whether you're doing it for the first time or the 100th.”

This in-depth profile by their expert offers a wide range of tips, ideas and suggestions for places to eat, drink, sleep, etc.  Plus, many top and interesting sights and experiences for this amazing city.  And, a wide range of pictures, links to other resources, etc.  Here is another story highlight to consider: "If the Tintorettos and Bellinis don't do for you, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection (Dorsoduro 704, fondamenta Venier dei Leoni; 00 39 041 240 5411) offers a more modern roster of works by mostly European artists from Picasso to Matisse, assembled by the eccentric American heiress in the mid-20th century. The gallery's pretty, artsy café is a sophisticated spot for a tea or coffee break."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/veneto/venice/articles/venice-travel-guide/

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 226,990 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

• 1 month later...

From FOX News, the cable network, yesterday, they had this headline: “Venice may put glass wall around St. Mark's Basilica to curb future flood damage” with these highlights: “Officials in the city of Venice have proposed a plan to build a meter-high glass wall around St. Mark’s Basilica to prevent future flooding from damaging the 11th century building and the crypt beneath it.  The historic basilica, which sits at one of the lowest points of the city, is still suffering the effects of record flooding in November 2019, when the waters entered the crypt, damaged mosaics and exposed the artwork and the building itself to saltwater corrosion.  'Venice is on its knees,' Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said on Twitter at the time. 'St. Mark's Basilica has sustained serious damage like the entire city and its islands.' ”

Interesting concept?  No sure how it will look or work, including as to how to enter this structure with such a glass barrier.  Here is more from their reporting: "As proposed, the glass partitions would stand at just over a meter, and extend for about 150 meters around the perimeter, at a distance of about two meters away from the basilica itself. Much of the glass wall would also replace iron railings that are already in place to keep tourists from getting too close to the façade.  The project is expected to cost around 3.5 million euro, or $3.84 million."

Full story at:

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/venice-may-glass-wall-st-marks-basilica-flood-damage

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 65,639 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, AnhaltER1960 said:

Not sure, whether the pictures of a jellyfish in a Venice canal made it here. Corona calmed the water in the canals, too....

Appreciate this visual and follow-up about Venice and it current conditions.  Yes, the waters are clearer there in the Grand Canal.  After getting back March 7 from four weeks in New Zealand and the South Pacific, I will be trying to catch up on recent events involving Italy and Venice. 

From Forbes magazine two days ago, they had this headline: “Is Coronavirus The Last Chance To Save Venice?” with these column highlights: “COVID-19 lockdown has given Venice an unprecedented opportunity to find solutions to over-tourism and to revitalize its community. Ideas are formulated, and now policy and regulations need to bring them to fruition.  The global coronavirus pandemic has brought international travel to a standstill and, despite a tentative easing of lockdown measures in Italy, it’s clear that the swarms of tourists Venice once had won’t return for a while. While a break from over-tourism is a welcome relief for residents and the environment, the large number of tourism-related activities in the city are in danger of collapse. Tourism will always be essential for the city, but it has become the enemy of Venice because it is no longer sustainable. The World Tourism Organization states that tourism activities can be defined as sustainable when 'they do not alter the social, natural and artistic environment' and when 'they do not impede or inhibit the development of other economic activities.' 

Written by a journalist from Scotland who lives in Venice, she also offered these views: "But the changes that need to be made in the city are much more than regulating misbehaving tourists. The last few weeks without the usual crowds have been enough for jobs to be lost and businesses to be threatened with closure. It is abundantly clear, if it hadn’t been before, that Venice’s mono-reliance on tourism for income has been the city’s ruin. The tourism sector is volatile and unpredictable, leaving it vulnerable to situations like now, but even when tourism was booming in the city, it brought little wealth to the residents of Venice." 

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccahughes/2020/05/08/is-coronavirus-the-last-chance-to-save-venice/#489a31303a3b

Completed last summer Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog at: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

Italy is opening back up!  BUT, how will it all work?  From an Associated Press/AP story in the Honolulu, Hawaii, newspaper this morning, they had this headline: “Italy plans to reopen its borders June 3 with no travel restrictions.”

Here are the story highlights: “ The Italian government announced today that it will throw open its borders next month, effectively ending Europe’s longest and strictest coronavirus lockdown just as the summer tourism season gets under way.  Both regional and international borders will open June 3, with the government eliminating a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving from abroad. Many hope the move will revive a decimated tourist industry, which is worth 13% of Italy’s gross domestic product.  Such an opening is exactly what tourism operators have been waiting for — even if European neighbors so far appeared be wary of the unilateral Italian announcement.”

Not all in Europe agree with this timing.  Here are more story details: "Germany — whose border is about a 4-hour drive from Venice through Austria — is instructing citizens not to travel abroad for tourism until at least June 15. And officials in neighboring France made clear that they had sought a coordinated European effort on border openings, indicating Italy had jumped the gun."

Full story at:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/05/16/breaking-news/italy-plans-to-reopen-its-borders-june-3-with-no-travel-restrictions/

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 66,336 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Terry,

You seem well versed in “all things Venice”.  Do you have any info on Venice limiting future cruise ships from docking post Coronavirus?  The shutdown has given Venecians a glimpse into a tourist free Venice both good and bad. What does the future hold?

2 hours ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Terry, You seem well versed in “all things Venice”.  Do you have any info on Venice limiting future cruise ships from docking post Coronavirus?  The shutdown has given Venecians a glimpse into a tourist free Venice both good and bad. What does the future hold?

Appreciate your kind comment/thought and this follow-up.  The quick and honest answer is that nobody knows for certain.  Or, even close!!  Lots of issues, questions and debate between the local Venice leaders versus regional/national government officials.  As the old saying goes, Venice is caught between a "Rock and a Hard Place"!!  A tourist-free Venice has pluses, but then people need to have an income and economic existence.  Then, there are questions as to what the cruises do (or not) and when.  It's complicated with many variables, including as to when and how effective, practical testing could be done.  Then, there are questions as to the airlines resuming service, travelers (especially those older and health-challenged) being fully confident to travel, etc., etc.  

From Forbes magazine yesterday, they had this headline: “How Venice Coped And Will Keep Coping” with these highlights: Venice is no stranger to suffering, and in the past year alone it has gone from enduring unsustainable over-tourism, to devastating flooding, and finally to dire economic prospects amid Covid-19. But Venice is also a city with a long history of overcoming adversity and now its residents are starting debates, campaigns and protests to take control of the city’s future. The New York Times recently ran a piece titled, 'How Italy Coped, and Will Keep Coping,' and perhaps it is Italy’s floating city of Venice that exemplifies this sentiment the most.  Even without the threats, Venice is a city that fights for its existence every day. The lagoon in which the city lies exists thanks to human intervention and would have silted up hundreds of years ago if it hadn’t been for ongoing management through technology and environmental conservation.

Here is more background from this writer:  "The building structures in the city also require continual maintenance as tides and waves caused by motorboats erode and crumble walls.  The exceptional high tide, which hit the city in November last year, added extensive damage of around €1 billion ($1.09 billion) to an already fragile city.  But the disastrous high tide didn’t grind the city to a halt. In its aftermath, residents banded together to begin the clearing up process. Volunteers used social media to offer their assistance as well as identify and share places where help was needed, arrange appointments and coordinate the operations. The arrival of coronavirus in the city sparked similar solidarity among residents." 

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rebeccahughes/2020/05/22/how-venice-coped-and-will-keep-coping/#29b11462759a

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 49,430 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the Reuters newswire this morning, they had this headline: “Venice Film Festival will go ahead in September - Veneto governor” with these highlights: “The Venice Film Festival will go ahead as scheduled at the beginning of September, Luca Zaia, the governor of the region around the Italian city said on Sunday as the spread of the new coronavirus in the country slows.  Organized by the Biennale di Venezia company, Venice is the world’s longest running film festival. In January it announced that Cate Blanchett would preside over its 77th edition. The Cannes Film Festival, the world’s largest, was forced to postpone its latest edition in May due to the virus epidemic.  Italy plans to lift all travel curbs from June 3 and travelers from European Union countries will be able to enter without going into quarantine.

Full story at:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-venice-filmfestival-idUSKBN2300J1

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 251,364 views.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:28 AM, VitaminSea53 said:

Terry,

You seem well versed in “all things Venice”.  Do you have any info on Venice limiting future cruise ships from docking post Coronavirus?  The shutdown has given Venecians a glimpse into a tourist free Venice both good and bad. What does the future hold?

Not Terry but will take a shot.   Always keep in mind that "It's Italy" which means nobody ever knows what is happening :).  The Venice cruise ship issue has been a political football for over a decade.  Just when everyone thinks they know what is going to happen a court or powerful politician manages to muck things up.  As of now they seem pretty set on banning large ships although there has been lots of back and forth about how large.  It might end up around 100,000 tons or possibly a lot less (55,000 tons has been discussed).  The last time I looked there were no 2021 scheduled Venice dockings for ships in excess of 100,000 tons.  

My question has long been about how they will move thousands of passengers from mainland piers to Venice.  Consider that a 4000 passenger vessel would require about 80 bus loads to move folks into Venice and this is an awful lot of bus traffic over the causeway.  I assume they would need to drop those folks at either the current port or on Tronchetto but then that is going to overwhelm the People Mover.  To allow that many buses to be running to and fro all the way into Venice (Piazale Roma) would likely have the locals up in arms about the traffic at that busy area.  As one who has driven (numerous times) into Venice, I would not want to even think about all those extra buses.  My suspicion is that they will have to further limit the number of daily ships that can dock at mainland locations in order to keep the bus traffic within reason.  But being Italy it is likely this will not happen until locals start complaining about the traffic jams.  And, or course, you cannot maintain any kind of social distancing on crowded buses.

Hank