Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

Great pix,we've never been there but plan on going summer 2011.Any suggestions regarding hotels or locations?:)

THANKS for the kind comments on the pictures! Venice is challenging for hotels as the supply is limited in the closer places to where most want to be. Most hotels are fairly small. What else would you expect in such a historic place where you cannot just throw up a new ten-story Marriott or Hilton. Some hotels have been modernized and updated, a few a little less so. Check out the pictures on their websites. I would do a search on

http://www.tripadvisor.com

http://www.hotels.com

Get a booking made now and then keep checking back to see if something better in price and/or quality comes along. Use Google.com mapping to check the locations on two or three options you are considering. Venice is fairly compact, so you don't need to be within only a couple blocks of Plazza San Marco. BUT, you don't want to be way, way away from the heart of things there. We stayed a few block west of the Doge's Palace, near the waterside area. In 1999, that was the Hotel Bisanzio for two nights.

Enjoy Venice and your 2011 trip! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures.We have been to Venice 2 times on our own and will be returning with a cruise next June. I have promised my Grandson for years that when he was 13 I would take him to Venice and now I will keep that promise.

Venice is my most loved Europeon city and it is hard to know eaxactly why except it is so beautiful and so different from anyplace else.Paris and Budapest are also beautiful but there is no place like Venice.I think as long as I can travel I will always return.

The way you feel about Venice is the way I feel about Rome! We have been to Rome at least four times, and I never get tired of going there. There is so much we still have not seen! I'm hoping that there will be many more trips to Rome in my future!:)

The way you feel about Venice is the way I feel about Rome! We have been to Rome at least four times, and I never get tired of going there. There is so much we still have not seen! I'm hoping that there will be many more trips to Rome in my future!:)

YES, love Rome, too. Have lots of visuals to share from there. BUT, haven't had time, yet, to post those. Rome is very, very busy with so much noise, traffic, congestion, etc. The unique beauty and added factor with Venice is no cars, trucks or motor scooters. Lots of people with great history and architecture, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 20,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Edited by TLCOhio

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures about one of our all-time most favorite cities. Lots to see and love in Venice! Interesting news story on the use of advertising to gain revenue in order to fix and repair many of the challenged buildings in Venice. All of that time, wear, water, etc., takes its toll on these historic structures. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 19,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We were wondering about the advertising billboards in piazza St. Marco. My husband thought they were for charity. Repairing buildings etc. must require a great deal of money. The costs of repair must be even higher because it would be challenging without roads and vehicles to get to the buildings with equipment. I didn't hate the billboards. I thought they provided an interesting contrast to the historical buildings. I would have preferred they weren't there though.

I wish we had more time in Venice. Our ship arrived at about 1.00pm the first day and left at 2.00pm the next day. This may have sounded like a long time but it left only about 6 hours in the city for us as the weather was wet and cold the first day and we went back to the ship for dinner. Even better would have been if the cruise had ended in Venice instead of Barcelona. So much we didn't see.

We were wondering about the advertising billboards in piazza St. Marco. My husband thought they were for charity. Repairing buildings etc. must require a great deal of money. The costs of repair must be even higher because it would be challenging without roads and vehicles to get to the buildings with equipment. I didn't hate the billboards. I thought they provided an interesting contrast to the historical buildings. I would have preferred they weren't there though. I wish we had more time in Venice. Our ship arrived at about 1.00pm the first day and left at 2.00pm the next day. This may have sounded like a long time but it left only about 6 hours in the city for us as the weather was wet and cold the first day and we went back to the ship for dinner. Even better would have been if the cruise had ended in Venice instead of Barcelona. So much we didn't see.

Excellent point on the challenges for doing these various re-construction projects in Venice. AND, there are so many older buildings there, plus the impacts of being all around that moisture and salt water. It's a challenging environment for such building work.

YES, you need more time in Venice. It's such a great city.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We just returned from our 4th visit to Venice. The St Marks Square area is always very crowded but you can just get away and find so many neat places. It always amazes me how around every corner is something interesting. This time we docked at San Basillo and returned to the ship with time to spare so we explored the area near the ship. It was so interesting I had to drag my DH back to the ship within minutes of departure time.

Here is a picture of the bridge of Sighs with advertising as of Sept 2010. The Bacilica was also partially covered but not so noticably from a distance.

P1040756.jpg?psid=1

P1040746.jpg?psid=1

We just returned from our 4th visit to Venice. The St Marks Square area is always very crowded but you can just get away and find so many neat places. It always amazes me how around every corner is something interesting. This time we docked at San Basillo and returned to the ship with time to spare so we explored the area near the ship. It was so interesting I had to drag my DH back to the ship within minutes of departure time. Here is a picture of the bridge of Sighs with advertising as of Sept 2010. The Bacilica was also partially covered but not so noticably from a distance.

THANKS for your posting and especially the pictures! WOW! That's lots of great things being covered over. And some of the ads in such great, historic places are a little too much for me. BUT, understand that these things cost lots of money. The Italian government is not exactly flush with extra money. Challenging situation. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 21,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From the New York Times to be published Sunday/tomorrow, they have this headlined feature: "36 Hours in Venice" with these highlights: "With its picture-perfect canals and waterside palazzi, Venice is a romantic idyll. No wonder 18 million tourists pile onto the floating city each year. But what is surprising is that the embattled residents still manage to carve out a hometown for themselves — a pastiche of in-the-know restaurants, underground bars, quiet piazzas and calmer, outlying islands. And that’s not counting all the cultural offerings that Venetians take full advantage of. "

This story focuses much on the more "hip" side and aspects of Venice as if you are visiting there for a 36-hour weekend. Lots of dining, art options are suggested. This story details many interesting ideas and potentials, including eight different pictures of places mentioned in the article.

Full story at:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/travel/31venice-hours.html?hpw

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Terry, as always your photos make me want to immediately travel to the place where you took them.

I fell in love with Venice many years ago when I traveled there at age 14 with my parents. We stayed in a beautiful old Italian hotel that had once been an embassy; I couldn't believe how ornate everything was. But for me the most magical memory was gliding down some of the less-traveled canals early in the morning with that peculiar Venetian lighting that you only get that time of day, looking at and into all of the gorgeous old palazzos.

I still love Venice; but only for a few days at a time. It's like something sweet that's so rich you can only eat a few bites.

Thankyou for putting up the beautiful photographs. Signor Orsini sounds like a fool. Hopefully he will relent to public pressure and take down the billboards. Didn,t realize that there were so many water craft, is getting the correct one as complicated as it looks? :o

Terry, as always your photos make me want to immediately travel to the place where you took them. I fell in love with Venice many years ago when I traveled there at age 14 with my parents. We stayed in a beautiful old Italian hotel that had once been an embassy; I couldn't believe how ornate everything was. But for me the most magical memory was gliding down some of the less-traveled canals early in the morning with that peculiar Venetian lighting that you only get that time of day, looking at and into all of the gorgeous old palazzos. I still love Venice; but only for a few days at a time. It's like something sweet that's so rich you can only eat a few bites.

solostar: Thank you for putting up the beautiful photographs. Didn' date='t realize that there were so many water craft, is getting the correct one as complicated as it looks? [/quote']

THANKS so much to Cynthia for her kind comments on the picture! Plus sharing the "special" reasons for connecting with and loving Venice. I was only age 23 for my first two visits to Venice during a month-long Europe trip in 1970. Loved it so much then and still do. Hope to be back in June 2011. Appreciate solostar's nice words on the pictures. My recollection is that things are not that hard in finding the right boat to take, but, like most things, you need to do a little advance planning and prep. Venice is still fairly simple as so much of it is "WALKING AROUND" and soaking it all up. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Love this photo's, thanks for sharing.

Venice is truely a majical city and my favorite in the world. Cannot wait tog et back there next Oct.

THANKS, Bev, for your nice comments on the pictures! YES, Venice is super magical and so special. Love it greatly. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 22,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

Terry, you did get some beautiful shots of Venice, but a word of warning to travelers looking to go there. We were there in late Oct (and now you have to use your imagination) and visualize two feet of water everywhere in Terry's pictures. San Marco Piazza actually had what appeared to be tables line up for people to walk on, as the water was so high. And there was no ending of the Grand Canal at what should have been the bank. All first floors were totally flooded. Then a month later there were photos on the internet news showing people waist high in water.

• 4 weeks later...
Terry, you did get some beautiful shots of Venice, but a word of warning to travelers looking to go there. We were there in late Oct (and now you have to use your imagination) and visualize two feet of water everywhere in Terry's pictures. San Marco Piazza actually had what appeared to be tables line up for people to walk on, as the water was so high. And there was no ending of the Grand Canal at what should have been the bank. All first floors were totally flooded. Then a month later there were photos on the internet news showing people waist high in water.

YES, we were fortunate not to have to deal with the flooding in Venice. I remember seeing the wooden "bridging" segments stored nearby that would be put up when they have that flooding.

From the Europe AFP newswire, they had this headline earlier this month: "Venice residents protest 'theme park' city" with these highlights: "Residents of Venice in northern Italy held an ironic protest on Sunday against rising prices and tourist traffic, saying their picturesque city had become a Disney-like 'Veniceland'. 'Venice has become an entertainment park for the 20 million tourists that benevolently invade us every year,' Matteo Secchi, a spokesman for the Venessia group behind the protest, said in a statement. The resident population of Venice is only around 59,000."

Interesting story and angle on Venice being a "THEME PARK" city. True, but what's the alternatives to support it and the high costs to restore and maintain the old, historic and fragile structures in this great city?

Full story at:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5halABJx1pxWqKsAHNMCHSs_OsShg?docId=CNG.abcbb510a5c046dbf43a74a8c92b43c3.41

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,725 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

From the New York Times this week, they have this headline: "Venice in Winter" with these highlights by their Rome Bureau Chief: "The light, as always, was beyond compare and there was a watery chill in the air. I loved it immediately. I had lived for years with the Venice of my recollections — traveling there at 19, drinking peach iced tea in the July heat, discovering Giorgione — and then last November I was back. I was older, so was Venice."

This is a nicely written piece that also had these added highlights: "In summer, Venice is torrid, stuffed to the gills with the 18 million tourists who overwhelm it each year, clogging its bridges, swelling its vaporetti, vastly outnumbering the famously grouchy residents and making the city seem like one big floating Disneyland — a perverse metaphor for the future of Italy, if not all of Europe, a place that has staked its future on selling an image of its past and may yet be destroying itself in the process. On sunny days, the winter light is brilliant and clear; but on gray days, it diffuses, and land and water merge. Distorted by light and water, time thickens in Venice. So does sound. What I love best about the city is its glorious quiet, and its strange pace, as if you were living in slow motion."

Having first visited Venice in December, 1970, that winter period when the tourists are gone makes it very special there. This NYT writer does a nice job for this profile of a great and unique city. In writing about her many visits there, she notes: "one thing has been the same: I didn’t really want to leave."

Full story is at:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/11/28/travel/28Venice.html?hpw

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We will be going to Venice 4-11 with 2 post cruise hotel nights....on NCL Jade

Hi, Jim and Mary Ellen! It looks like you have had some great cruising experience, but it appears that this will be your first cruise in Europe. It is a difference "EXPERIENCE" in Europe compared to what you have done in the Carib, along the Mexico coast, etc. That makes your advance research and planning more important. The more you know in advance then you will be better prepared to understand what you are seeing and doing.

Your cruise in visiting Rome (Civitavecchia), Katakolon, Athens (Piraeus), Ephesus (Izmir), Alexandria should be interesting and it is great that you are working in a visit to Venice. Check out all of the Europe sites on these boards.

Here are a couple of other suggestions to help future travelers in Europe. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

Reactions and questions?

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 25,000 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

We've visited Venice multiple times over the years. We were in Venice in Late November a few years back (three full days pre-cruise and two post-cruise). One of the two days post cruise the square at St Marcos was very flooded. DD was looking at photos the other day and commented that it was really quite "cool" to have experienced the flooded city and to see how the locals adapt to the changing water levels.

Glassblower of Murano (Marina Fiorato) is an interesting novel - two intertwining stories taking place in Modern vs 16th century Venice. Botticelli Secret is historical fiction that has scenes in /characters from Venice (it is told first person and the narrator is a whore, so be a bit careful).

Both have enough historical accuracy and an interesting enough story line to provide entertaining insight and background for anyone interested in Venice.

• 11 months later...
Beautiful pictures and great tips. Thank you. We still have a year to go, but this makes me want to leave tomorrow.

YES! Venice is super wonderful. We were back again in June and had the great experience of doing both the sail-in and sail-out on our cruise ship. Awesome!!! Loved that unique treat on a bright, sunny day. Not too warm. Just right!!

Below are some pictures from that sail-in. Will post more "new" pictures from, if of interest. Of course, Venice is not exactly "new". That's the charm and beauty of this historic architecture wonder.

More pictures and details are available from my below live/blog posting for Venice and other great cities/ports in this area during our cruise.

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 48,214 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we sailed into Venice, here is a tighter shot of the main square and the crowds that were there around 1 pm on June 14. Next are a couple of other views from that great sail-in to Venice and the sights of various interesting buildings and church. Love Venice so, so much!!:

VeniceSailInTigherSMSquare.jpg

VeniceSailInBldgTighter.jpg

VeniceSailInChurch-1.jpg

This is a mask shop hidden on the back-streets of Venice. We had discovered this great place in 1999 and were lucky to find it again as we explored a little off of the typical tourist streets of Venice. They have such delightful and creative designs serving more of a professional customer base. It is not just a tourist place with imported “stuff”. These are the “real” deal that made this art famous in Venice. It is called Tragi comica. Their web address is http://www.tragicomica.it. :

VeniceMaskShopFound.jpg

In front of the Accademia Art Museum, here is an artist on that wooden bridge over the Grand Canal making a painting.:

VenicePainterOnGrandCanal.jpg

It was a full moon for our evening in Venice. Here is that view of the moon as we walked at night past the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceNightMoonDogePalace.jpg

Terry, as always, your photos are stunning! We're in the very early planning stages for 2013, & Venice is definitely on the short list, I think it's simply going to come down to pricing for us, as there are so many places we still want to see, but your pictures present a compelling case!