Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

Should I book now? What did you do?

It depends on your arrival date. I booked the day they started selling tickets for that date. I can't recall how far in advance they start selling them, but I learned the info on these boards so hopefully a search will show it. They do also offer discounted tickets online until those fares are sold so it does behoove you to try to get them if your plans are firm.

From the NY Post mid-day today, they have this headline: "Real life 'Italian Job': Thieves steal $1.7M in cash during Venice lagoon heist" with these highlights: "Three armed bandits pulled up alongside a courier boat in a Venice lagoon and robbed it of nearly $1.7 million in cash. The heist occurred Monday just after an armored truck delivered three cases of money to the courier boat destined for banks and post offices in Venice. The report said the courier boat had just left the dock when the bandits' boat pulled up next to it."

The opening parts of that 'Italian Job' movie were wonderful with so many great and interesting shots, chase scenes in and around Venice, etc. Like done in several of the James Bond films, Venice is such a wonderful location for filming and movie excitement.

Full story at:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/real_life_italian_heist_thieves_oMfsnIaVH5noffYNOLEufP

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,065 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It depends on your arrival date. I booked the day they started selling tickets for that date. I can't recall how far in advance they start selling them, but I learned the info on these boards so hopefully a search will show it. They do also offer discounted tickets online until those fares are sold so it does behoove you to try to get them if your plans are firm.

Thanks! The times are firm, but I'm so hesitant about the locations!

All set! Thanks for the inspiration!

Really enjoyed your beautiful pictures i have a question . My mom and i will arrive in venice at 11a.m. Were staying over night at the londra palace located right next to st marks square . We board our cruise the following day i believe the latest we can check in is 3 or 3:30 p.m.

What can you suggest we can do with that limited time in venice?

I would love to see st.marks basilica and doges palace. Also maybe take a gondola ride and just walk around do you think we would have enough time to do all this?

Really enjoyed your beautiful pictures. i have a question . My mom and i will arrive in venice at 11a.m. Were staying over night at the londra palace located right next to st marks square . We board our cruise the following day i believe the latest we can check in is 3 or 3:30 p.m. What can you suggest we can do with that limited time in venice? I would love to see st.marks basilica and doges palace. Also maybe take a gondola ride and just walk around do you think we would have enough time to do all this?

Appreciate your nice comments on the picture. The credit goes to Venice and its great beauty and character.

For your timing, my view is that you can gets lots done for that afternoon and evening there, plus during that part of the next day. The good news is that things are close together, including for St. Marks and the Doge's Palace being right next door to each other. For St. Marks, there might be some free-lance guides outside that can give you a tour inside up to the second level and then to get added background on the rest of this historic church. The evening might be good for that gondola ride and lots of walking around. Consider the elevator ride up to the top of the big tower for great views over the whole town and area.

Other questions and needs?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,311 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thank you so much now the doges palace once your inside is it marked on where to go? I know its big so were wondering if we can walk through it on our own or will we get lost?

I dont k ow if they have signs on where to go etc . Other than using a tour guide

Really enjoyed your beautiful pictures i have a question . My mom and i will arrive in venice at 11a.m. Were staying over night at the londra palace located right next to st marks square . We board our cruise the following day i believe the latest we can check in is 3 or 3:30 p.m.

What can you suggest we can do with that limited time in venice?

I would love to see st.marks basilica and doges palace. Also maybe take a gondola ride and just walk around do you think we would have enough time to do all this?

You also have time to take a couple of vaporetto rides to the islands of Murano and Burano or even Lido. What cruise are you on? Does it remain overnight in Venice after you board? My one does in October, and it would give you even more sightseeing time. Alternatively, check in as soon as possible, then go off again sightseeing until 1hr before departure.

This is an amazing thread, and the pictures are stunning!!

We will be in Venice later this summer and are wondering if the elevator in Doge's Palace has been fixed yet. Also, is this an alternative to the Golden Staircase?

Many thanks in advance.

Thank you so much now the doges palace once your inside is it marked on where to go? I know its big so were wondering if we can walk through it on our own or will we get lost?

I dont k ow if they have signs on where to go etc . Other than using a tour guide

You can prebook your ticket to Doges Palace online. €16,50 or €8,50 for over 65. This allows you to skip any lines. They give you a nice booklet with a self-guided tour. Or you can take the Secret Itineraries Tour, which can also be booked online. €20 or €14 over 65. I have not done the tour yet, but posters on this board speak highly of it, and I am doing it in 3 weeks. Here is the official website to buy tickets. (you print voucher at home and bring it with you) http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/pianifica-la-tua-visita/tickets/

You can also reserve a time to enter St. Marks without waiting in line. It is free to enter, but the service charge is €1,50. This is the official site of St. Mark's Basilica. http://www.basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/eng/index.bsm

How long approx would it take to walk through dogespalace on your own?

Appreciate the follow-ups and added posts. As wisely and helpfully noted by flcruiser3 about doing: "self-guided tour", that allows you to spend as much or as little as fits your interest. My rough guess would be an hour to 90 minutes.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,376 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry! I'm trying to plan our Venice overnight stop and had a few questions for you. My DH and I are not doing a tour for this stop (using RIL for the other Italy ports) since we have a little more time here and a car is not needed for this port.

Here is a list of what I'd like to do. I was wondering if you could help guide me to what should be done which day, order of stops, etc. We are on Equinox and arrive at about 2pm and depart at 2 pm the next day.

Also, if I've left anything out let me know!

Thank you so much for your help!

St. Mark's Square

Doge Palace

Marco Polo House

Rialto Bridge

Gondola ride (want to do this in evening before dinner)

Dinner

Murano (thinking about this for the next morning?)

Anything I need to pre-book? Doge Palace tix I know you can order online. Where is the best place to get a gondola? Should I do this in advance?

Sorry for so many questions!

Jacque

Edited by shoelover536

Hi Terry! I'm trying to plan our Venice overnight stop and had a few questions for you. My DH and I are not doing a tour for this stop (using RIL for the other Italy ports) since we have a little more time here and a car is not needed for this port. Here is a list of what I'd like to do. I was wondering if you could help guide me to what should be done which day, order of stops, etc. We are on Equinox and arrive at about 2pm and depart at 2 pm the next day. Also, if I've left anything out let me know! Thank you so much for your help!

St. Mark's Square

Doge Palace

Marco Polo House

Rialto Bridge

Gondola ride (want to do this in evening before dinner)

Dinner

Murano (thinking about this for the next morning?)

Anything I need to pre-book? Doge Palace tix I know you can order online. Where is the best place to get a gondola? Should I do this in advance? Sorry for so many questions! Jacque

Hi, Jacque! Appreciate your good questions. Glad you are using RIL for your other Italy tours. Good company, people and service. Personally, I have not visited the Marco Polo House or Murano. By the time your ship docks around 2 pm and you can get to St. Mark's around 3 pm, you might be trying to do too much in a short period that afternoon in seeking to do, see and experience St. Mark's, the Doge's Palace AND the Marco Polo House. You didn't mention it, but I assume you will go inside for the famed Cathedral, too, right? There are lots of churches in Italy and Europe, but this one in Venice is world-class and a can't miss, historic experience.

Clearly in the late afternoon and evening, you can do the Rialto Bridge and its area, the Gondola and dinner. That's easy and very possible. BUT, in the late afternoon, you might be trying to do too much in too limited of a time period. Lots of Gondola options all over.

Overall, you morning trade-off question is whether taking that time to go to Murano, see it, then get back is "WORTH IT" compared to more time exploring and seeing the many, many great options and potentials in the main parts of Venice. Choices!!??

Is this your first visit to Venice? What are your main interests there, in Italy, etc.?? Tell us more!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,519 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry & Jacquie

I spent 6 days in Venice in 2003 and I still didn't see everything on my list! Something to look forward to in October. But I do recall spending half a day travelling over to Murano and Burano and back and was very pleased to have done it. Burano particularly is a very pretty island with buildings painted in bright colours and lots of shops selling lace and embroidery and some good trattorias. Of course we also visited a glass-blowing factory on Murano and bought a cute little souvenir vase. It's fascinating to watch.

For more info on Venice look up http://www.tomsportguides.com - this site has a great PDF file on Venice you can store in iBooks. There is also a link there to Venezia.net which has a good map of the vaporetto lines.

Hi, Jacque! Appreciate your good questions. Glad you are using RIL for your other Italy tours. Good company, people and service. Personally, I have not visited the Marco Polo House or Murano. By the time your ship docks around 2 pm and you can get to St. Mark's around 3 pm, you might be trying to do too much in a short period that afternoon in seeking to do, see and experience St. Mark's, the Doge's Palace AND the Marco Polo House. You didn't mention it, but I assume you will go inside for the famed Cathedral, too, right? There are lots of churches in Italy and Europe, but this one in Venice is world-class and a can't miss, historic experience.

Clearly in the late afternoon and evening, you can do the Rialto Bridge and its area, the Gondola and dinner. That's easy and very possible. BUT, in the late afternoon, you might be trying to do too much in too limited of a time period. Lots of Gondola options all over.

Overall, you morning trade-off question is whether taking that time to go to Murano, see it, then get back is "WORTH IT" compared to more time exploring and seeing the many, many great options and potentials in the main parts of Venice. Choices!!??

Is this your first visit to Venice? What are your main interests there, in Italy, etc.?? Tell us more!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,519 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I agree - if this is your first trip to Venice, save Murano for another time (and I love Murano). Also, allow yourself some time to simply wander, get lost and discover the real Venice.

Enjoy - I am going back for the 4th time in 5 years in just over four months.

Dawn

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thank you for your advice!

This is our first trip to Venice, and to Italy in general. Very excited about this cruise!!

And yes, the cathedral is definitely on the list. Really Murano was only to browse (and maybe purchase) some glasswork, but as I research I'm reading that the selection is just as good in Venice proper.

So which of the major sites would you suggest doing on the first afternoon and what would you leave for the next morning (leaving out Murano for a return visit)?

We are interested it getting a good overview of the city and major sights.

St. Marks Sq.

St. Mark's Basilica

Doge's

Rialto Bridge

Gondola

Dinner

Marco Polo House (walk by it if have time)

Anything I'm leaving off? You are the best, thank you for all of your help!

We have from 2 pm until late and then early AM to 2 pm the next day. :D

Thank you for your advice! This is our first trip to Venice, and to Italy in general. Very excited about this cruise!! And yes, the cathedral is definitely on the list. Really Murano was only to browse (and maybe purchase) some glasswork, but as I research I'm reading that the selection is just as good in Venice proper. So which of the major sites would you suggest doing on the first afternoon and what would you leave for the next morning (leaving out Murano for a return visit)? We are interested it getting a good overview of the city and major sights.

St. Marks Sq.

St. Mark's Basilica

Doge's

Rialto Bridge

Gondola

Dinner

Marco Polo House (walk by it if have time)

Anything I'm leaving off? You are the best, thank you for all of your help! We have from 2 pm until late and then early AM to 2 pm the next day. :D

Appreciate your follow-up. Seems that you are moving in the right direction for considering your many options. YES, you are being realistic. Much will depend on your weather for those parts of the two-day period when there. Plus, how many ships and other large travel groups are in Venice at that time. Crowds during the days there can be busy, super busy . . . OR . . . a little less than just busy. Lots of variables and great options. Be flexible and ready to adjust accordingly.

Keep up your research, reading, asking good questions.

On the question of "By cathedral, do you mean St. Mark's Basilica?", YES, that was what I was meaning to be saying. Basilica and Cathedral are kind of the same, but, there are some technical differences among the experts. Yes, Basilica, generally is a higher-level difference reflecting the importance of this famed church in Venice.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 135,723 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Edited by TLCOhio

We are looking forward to starting our cruise in Venice in a few short days (July 28) aboard the Royal Princess. We have the afternoon/overnight to explore, and we have not yet been to Venice before. We are hoping to see both the Doge's Palace, the bridge, and the Basilica. We would also like to take a gondola ride through some of the smaller waterways. Any other "must do" items while we are there? Also, do you recommend doing a Vaporetto pass for 12 hours or would we be better off to just pay as we go? We heard it's a good way to see the city, but we weren't sure how economical it would be.

Thanks!

Lynn

We are looking forward to starting our cruise in Venice in a few short days (July 28) aboard the Royal Princess. We have the afternoon/overnight to explore, and we have not yet been to Venice before. We are hoping to see both the Doge's Palace, the bridge, and the Basilica. We would also like to take a gondola ride through some of the smaller waterways. Any other "must do" items while we are there? Also, do you recommend doing a Vaporetto pass for 12 hours or would we be better off to just pay as we go? We heard it's a good way to see the city, but we weren't sure how economical it would be.

Thanks!

Lynn

The answer to your vaporetto question would depend on your personal itinerary and how much you like to walk. For example, it is fun to walk between St Marks Square and the Rialto Bridge area...but some folks do not like taking 20 min walks :). The simple formula for the vaporettos is that if you expect to use 3 or more vaporettos rides then the 12 hour pass makes good financial sense. If you are only going to take 1 or 2 vaporetto rides then you save money with single tickets.

Hank