Avalon Imagery CANCELLED for Sept 26

annfi

Caviargal, thank you so much!!! We are at the airport hotel right now, flight leaves this afternoon so will try to digest all of your great suggestions. We are feeling excited about our decision to GO!!! We have been blessed with 30 years of great trips, have always knocked on wood and been grateful when we return and house is safe and all is well. I remember earlier in the year when the volcano delayed travelers, and then those who were misplaced off the boats due to high or low water levels. You just never know when you travel what will happen! I will keep you all posted on what we do. And thank goodness for the Internet! It makes this all the more possible to do at the last minute.

I am SO HAPPY that it has all worked out for you......!!! :D

I hope you have a FABULOUS ADVENTURE......!!! pilot.gif map.gif

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.......!!! couples.gif

At 11:03 PM on Saturday, September 18, the Avalon Imagery was traversing a lock in Hausen, Germany when it came in contact with a lock door causing damage to the vessel. Although alarms sounded and clients were assembled on the Sky Deck, within 25 minutes, the ship was stabilized and declared safe for the night. To ensure the well- being of our passengers, the Avalon crew brought doctors on board who met with them individually, before they retired for the evening in their staterooms. All passengers have been in the good hands of our operations team and remain so.

The ship remained docked through the night and underwent an even more thorough inspection during daylight hours on Sunday, September 19. It was determined the ship needed further repairs before sailing more itineraries.

Repairs to the Imagery will not be complete in time for her September 26 sailing. We have been working one-on-one with travelers and agents affected by the cancellation of this sailing due to these unforeseen circumstances, providing them alternate options and we hope, solutions. We’re working to ensure everyone can be accommodated on a new cruise of their choice.

This is VERY NICE of Avalon Waterways to post here on Cruise Critic.

Thank You.....icon14.gificon14.gif

Happy Anniversay and sure hope this will just be a memory and you will tallk about it on your 50/60th.

i agree it was nice to read the posting from the source.

our T/A is in Europe now and has a trip on Avalon in April, I'm sure she will get word from them or her office about this.

The things you learn on here are just great. Read this even when I'm not involved with any up coming trips.

Eleanor

BrownBlonde, good questions.

Yes, my wife and I were on the same cruise as annfi. My travel agent is an associate of a large agency in Jacksonville, FL, whose name and phone number is on all the documents. She works out of her home and is currently on an Oceania cruise. Avalon Waterways management delayed until Wednesday morning before deciding to cancel. All they did was leave a message on her home phone. No effort was made to contact the company or me. We are certainly not impressed with the entire operation and expect a hassle between Avalon and my trip insurance carrier. A near miracle we are not enroute to Hungary as I type this. I'm thankful I look at CruiseCritic.

I would definitely go for it! As long as you avoid Munich, Octoberfest should not be a problem. And the trains are so great in Germany and Austria. I always opt for seat reservations when I have luggage - and we also travel with passes.

I love Salzburg and this is a lovely time of year to visit, especially of you visit the Salzkammergut - easy by public transport. Let me know if you would like some suggestions for day trips. We really like the Sheraton there and are booked for our third visit in December at that hotel. The Bristol is also lovely.

I am sorry about your plans but you are making lemonade out of lemons and I think the new itinerary is exciting!

Don't forget the Canstatter Volksfest in Stuttgart!

BrownBlonde, good questions.

Yes, my wife and I were on the same cruise as annfi. My travel agent is an associate of a large agency in Jacksonville, FL, whose name and phone number is on all the documents. She works out of her home and is currently on an Oceania cruise. Avalon Waterways management delayed until Wednesday morning before deciding to cancel. All they did was leave a message on her home phone. No effort was made to contact the company or me. We are certainly not impressed with the entire operation and expect a hassle between Avalon and my trip insurance carrier. A near miracle we are not enroute to Hungary as I type this. I'm thankful I look at CruiseCritic.

I am sorry your trip got messed up. We were supposed to take a cruise with Avalon in April when the volcano kept us from going leavin us stranded at the airport. Avalon was wonderful about it and rebooked our trip for July with the assistance of our online travel agent.He literally spent hours working with Avalon to resolve the problem. Many other rivercruise companies and big ship cruise lines refused to rebook their customers and the customers were than out that money.Our insurance picked up the charges for the hotel and meals when we were stuck in Cincinnati for 4 days and we were fully refunded and rebooked on our flights for July.I don't know why you expect a problem with Avalon and your insurance company as Avalon is well known for handling problems in a fair and generous manner. IMHO your complaint should be with your travel agent at this point as she should have someone who checks her messages and handles her clients when she is out of town.It is not difficult to forward your phone to another number.

I hope you get it all resolved to your satisfaction.I am sure you are very disappointed, I was too in April but it all turned out Ok.

IMHO your complaint should be with your travel agent at this point as she should have someone who checks her messages and handles her clients when she is out of town.It is not difficult to forward your phone to another number.

I have to disagree. Avalon should have contacted the passenger directly and not simply left a message about something so significant with a TA when this was such an imminent departure. They should have continued to try and reach that passenger.

Suppose it was a weekend? Most agents do not call in on the weekend to check messages at their office.

That was irresponsible IMO and I am a little surprised as passengers provide a contact number for emergencies and this qualifies as one IMO.

I have to disagree. Avalon should have contacted the passenger directly and not simply left a message about something so significant with a TA when this was such an imminent departure. They should have continued to try and reach that passenger.

Suppose it was a weekend? Most agents do not call in on the weekend to check messages at their office.

That was irresponsible IMO and I am a little surprised as passengers provide a contact number for emergencies and this qualifies as one IMO.

never mind...

whatever.

passenger,,,esp..when give cell phone numbers,,,etc....we use online travel agency and get good price,,but customer service can be lacking <<I fear,,,only 100 or so passengers to call,,how hard could that be for cruise company....would be SO upset.....hope you re reading this Avalon rep.....change your policy in future...please...:mad:

As with any cruise the TA owns the booking...that is why they get paid ... to handle problems & keep in contact with their clients

Yes if they do not get an answer or reply or from the TA confirming they got the message then yes the cruise line should contact the passenger directly.

If a TA is away then they should have someone cover the calls/emails

There is usually an after hours emergency number for clients to contact but the tour operators should also have this number in case something happens after business hours.

Can you see the large cruise lines like Carnival contacting each passenger when the cruise is cancelled

one of their other ships. Same thing happened to us with Vantage Holland and Belgium this past April. Seems our original ship, Odyssey, broker her prop on something floating in the river and instead of canceling they substituted the Explorer and we went off on schedule. I know Avalon has more ships than Vantage, so I don't understand why they didn't do the same for you.:eek:

I'm leaving on a Grand Circle river cruise this Thursday. I mentioned to a customer service guy the situation with Avalon. He was very surprised. He said in a situation like that Grand Circle sends out another ship. He said they always have an extra ship.

Avalon does have a lot of ships but they also book up full many months in advance.That was why when we didn't make our cruise in April due to the volcano Avalon booked us again in July.We got the last cabin on that cruise in the same category because of our TA. If we had not taken the trip offered in July there were no other vacancies until 2011 on that particular itinerary.

He was very surprised. He said in a situation like that Grand Circle sends out another ship. He said they always have an extra ship.

I am surprised they would have a ship sitting idle ...just in case of emergencies or unexpected problems

While on GCT in July our first with them. We met a lady who had been on GCT in the spring when all the volcano mess was causing the flying back and forth.

what GCT did they left the current passengers who were to get off stay on as she was one of them and fed them and etc. for 4/5 days This was good for everyone, as the new boarding passengers weren't there ,could not arrive from the states.

I still feel going with a travel agt. that has a real office and more then herself in it has advantages. I still feel in such a short notice thing that has happen to those posting here, they have enough info about you that they can make contact one way or another. I'm one I sure would let them know how I feel, just to make me feel better. I always feel sorry for those who may still be working and have scheduled their vacation then what??

Oh Well I guess you always think it won't happen to you.

Eleanor

As with any cruise the TA owns the booking...that is why they get paid ... to handle problems & keep in contact with their clients

Yes if they do not get an answer or reply or from the TA confirming they got the message then yes the cruise line should contact the passenger directly.

If a TA is away then they should have someone cover the calls/emails

There is usually an after hours emergency number for clients to contact but the tour operators should also have this number in case something happens after business hours.

Can you see the large cruise lines like Carnival contacting each passenger when the cruise is cancelled

Avalon and Carnival are two totally different companies and 138 passengers versus 3000 apples and oranges IMO.

I agree that it is the TA's responsibility, however, as a passenger I would not be happy if Avalon felt that leaving a voice message was sufficient in this case, which was a last minute cancellation and a voyage in Europe. I personally would have wanted them to ensure that they actually spoke to someone to ensure the the message was received.

Avalon and Carnival are two totally different companies and 138 passengers versus 3000 apples and oranges IMO.

I agree that it is the TA's responsibility, however, as a passenger I would not be happy if Avalon felt that leaving a voice message was sufficient in this case, which was a last minute cancellation and a voyage in Europe. I personally would have wanted them to ensure that they actually spoke to someone to ensure the the message was received.

I guess you missed my statement

It is sad that this happened. I hope the injured passenger is recovering well at this point.

Hope annfi and her husband are having a great time on their anniversary adventure!

JohnCD, you are lucky you found out on this board. CC is so helpful! Hope you will be able to go later. It is also good that you had travel insurance as a backup.

I wonder if any people kept flight arrangements and ended up in Hungary without a plan. It really underscores the importance of getting a confirmation to be sure the message got through.

Archived