Have a Minute To Help Us Out? We're Redesigning Our Ship Review Page!

LauraS

• Administrators

Hi everyone!

We're in the early stages of redesigning our ship review pages, and we'd really like your input, because it matters to us.

For example, take a look at our existing Celebrity Millennum page.

Then, tell us anything and everything; we really want to know what you think! Some topics to get you started:

• If you were sailing on Celebrity Millennium, do we have everything you need to make a decision about the ship?
  • What other information would you like to see on the page?
  • Is there too much of something on the page? Too little?
  • What about the colors? Do you like them? Any suggestions?
  • If there were one single thing you could change on the page, what would it be?

We're really interested in your opinions and ideas, so let it out!

Oh, and thanks!

Laura

Laura - I read through the review and found it interesting, with soothing colors and easy to navigate. If I were to make any suggestions, I would recommend making the ship's name "jump off the page," rather than have it in such an ordinaary font; and I would consider including more, uncanned photos of the ship's interior and exteriod areas (or links to such photos).

From my own experience, pictures taken of and throughout the ship play an important role in helping me determine whether I'll "like" a particular ship or not.

As an example, RCCL's Voyager class ships are my all-time favorites and although I've sailed on the Mariner a couple of times, I find that its overall color scheme (bright oranges, greens, blues, etc.) and style of artwork jags my nerves. After discovering this fact, I now search out photos to find out which ships are more conservative in the use of bold colors.

Thanks for asking for our opinions! Keep up the great work with CC!

I took a quick look and there is a lot of information to get you going but the one thing I have a problem with is how small the pictures are. It would be nice if you clicked on them a they opened larger so you can get a good view of what you are looking at. The colors are just ok. Maybe something more vibrant or some sort of theme like sun, island and palm trees, dolphins, whales mountains...thing you see on a cruise ship but more transparent behind the text so you can still read it.

Not that it matters but it's looks kind of "blah" but the information is good.

Love the review, but agree that the photos should be less 'catalogue' and more on site. Would I cruise on the ship? Never thought of it before, but will certainly consider.

A lot of reviews get clogged up with too many links. This is just right.:D

I'd like to see more facts about the size of the ship and the number of passengers and the ratio of crew to passengers. I have no argument with the format or typography, but the previous observations make sense. How about some early summary statement about cruise critic member reviews? I particularly like the "fellow passengers" section, which gives me a feel regarding the question I posed not long ago in another thread: Which ships are more sociable.

Maybe more real time details on the cabins:

A current condition update would be great, It's tough when reviews don't tell you what condition the cabins are currently in.

Things I really like to know about a cabin or hotel room for that matter:

shower curtain or glass door? Is it really scrubbed clean, or is there mildew in the corners?

are the furnishings stained, worn, when were they last replaced?

overall condition of room, are the mirrors chipped, stains in shower etc.

details & photos of the storage & closets

Thanks

Is there any way we can have photos and/or layouts for the Handicap (hate that word) Accessible Cabins. Also in the drop down list of cabin types, could the category and number of Accessible Cabins be added to the list.

I am not sure how practical this would be, but it is a real pain going through every deck to find what cabins there are and in what category.

The cabin reviews with the cabin numbers is a great feature. Be wonderful if we managed to get a review from every CC from trip!

I appreciate the quantity of information available. However, since you're asking:

1. the ads are intrusive and contribute to a cluttered, confusing look (currently at the top, sides and in the body of the page). They should be streamlined and placed in one location on the page.

2. I agree, some color is needed. The page is very stark and uninviting.

3. The photos definitely need to be bigger and more of them! Include member photos if possible. The standard ones from the line don't tell us much.

4. Information could be organized better. And yes, bigger font size in some cases. Simplify the information whenever possible.

Thanks for asking!! Good luck with the project!

I've always liked the way that Cruise Critic looks, but do agree with the following already mentioned by others:

Photos could be at least twice the size they are now. For those of us who are vision impaired, it is impossible to make out what things are...

Ship Name could be larger so that it stands out more.

Sponsored Listings on the left hand side are distracting. I did not even notice the deck plans and photos until I went searching after reading some of the other replies...

Maybe have a Latest Review above the Sponsored Links so that we do not have to search for everything. I tend to quit looking if I do not see what I am looking for or something does not keep my eyes glued... Hope that makes sense.

Color are good even for me (color blind) they stand out differently from each other to make a difference.

Think that's all for now:)

Thank you for including me in this input!!

Joanie

i agree with comment about the ads confusing the page. also, i would rather read the whole review when i get to the page, instead of having to click on the "read complete review" link.

i also would like to see more photos, i know that i try to get the "feel" of a ship, and whether i can see my family on it, before i book. i do use the review feature alot when i am making a cruise decision, and then spend my time reading most of the member reviews when i have complete my booking to know what to expect. it is particularly nice to be able to compare stats and similarities of the cruise line without having to go to their website. thanks for the ongoing review and input!

Ditto to all of the above.

Need more photos (not just ones from the cruise company). Real cabin pictures.....real balcony pictures....real bathroom photos. These help give a feel of the ship. So important when making a decision. If you can include pictures of said ships...this will be better than the cruise companies small photos..

Thanks for asking.

I have always found the reviews informative, but the page set-up a bit confusing.

I would love to see 2 links in a fairly uncluttered page, save for perhaps photos....

one for member reviews and the other for cruise critic review.

Other than that, I personally am grateful for the site and for the fact that you are concerned about continual improvements.

Get rid of the ads. You are reviewing brand Z's ship the reader should not have to see an ad for brand G , that to me takes away from the article I'm trying to read, it also gives the impression that you are trying to sell the other cruise line over the one you are reviewing

I'm not sure if I'm clicking on the right link or not, but if I am...

1. The first thing I see is the expedia ads and links to cruise critic member reviews. The first thing I'd like to see are about 3-4 of the ships best (large) pics. That is always what grabs my attention on cruise critics home page that gets me interested in a particular ship.

2. The next thing I am looking for is the name of the ship and the regions it sails to to be quite apparent, in rather bold or larger letters.

3. It appears that the write up on the ship is not broken down into "chunks." There is information that I'm not interested in learning about. If I'm looking at a dozen ships I don't want to read a lengthy page on each of those ships. I'd like a write up on the ships with bold, titled categories like entertainment, dining, family friendliness, etc. so I can pick and choose what is important to me to read. For instance, people that never go to the spa, specialty restaurants or don't have children won't care to read about those sections.

4. After interest is gathered in a particular ship, I think it would be great to have the links for reviews and more photo galleriesto be at the bottom of the page, so as not to clutter the top.

Thanks!

This is so minor, but here goes. I'm a relatively newcomer. I don't know what those things are supposed to be that demonstrate Overall Rating & Member Rating. Also, are they out of 5 or some other number?

Those are the Cruise Critic Blue Ribbons (see top of page for logo) . They are out of 5.

I think it's boring to look at. Nothing jumps off the page to get your attention & it definitely needs more photos.

I'm sure the adds are important but their location is poor. When you're anxious to get to the review, you won't pay any attention to them............ Just scroll right by to get to the good stuff.

Archived