Help from anyone who cruised ALASKA in SEPTEMBER

PongosMum

Planning a northbound trip from Vancouver to Seward.

I know that the beginning of September is (technically) still summer so understand that there won’t have been much recent snowfall but did you see a lot of snow capped peaks and blue/white glaciers because having just looked on the web, there seemed to be an awful lot of pictures showing an awful lot of brown landscape!! I’d be really upset if I only saw the snow covered mountains in the far distance with the help of a zoom lense!! Thanks for any info :)

We took the last cruise of the season a few years ago, and encountered quite a bit of rain and fog, but I don't think that is necessarily typical. The higher elevations had snow, as they do year round, and the glacier was spectacular. One bonus that I'd not considered previous to the cruise was the good deals that were available in all the ports, as they shop owners knew no other cruise ships would be coming until spring. I never waste time shopping in ports, but even I found some deals too good to pass up. (a coat for $10, tshirts 3/$10, heavy socks $2 a pair, etc.) I'd take a minimum of clothes and stock up!

Have fun!

We did Alaska in September last year. We did a one-way route from Anchorage to Vancouver and saw plenty of snow-capped mountains. It was gorgeous!! We had some rain in Juneau, but otherwise it was clear skies and temps reaching the low 70s during the day. Fabulous!!

We went on our first cruise ever to Alaska in Sept, the whole experience being new was wonderful. It was very wet and the pictures were not the best, there was a ton of fog (horn every 2min for much of the trip) and not much snow. We went again the following May and I was very surprised at how white it was compared to September. In Glacier Bay it was white right down to the water line. Either way, we had a fantastic time on both trips.... heck, we were on vacation!

We did Alaska once in September, and I still think those pictures are some of the best. Is it rainy? Yes. Was it foggy? You bet. Were the pictures incredibly moody and ethereal? Definitely.

If you want sun and blue skies, go to the Caribbean. If you want to see Alaska in all its moody splendor, go in September. The fog, cloud and even the rain give this region an almost mythical quality.

From the Zuiderdam in September 2006 at Glacier Bay:

Image-E9B154B150B711DB.jpg

We did our first cruise to Alaska in June 12 years ago and our second cruise in September 4 years ago. I remember saying that I enjoyed the June cruise better because the mountains were snow covered and there was a lot of blue ice in the water.

we took a HAL cruise to Alaska 10 years ago. Everyone told us mid sept was too late-it would be cold and foggy and we were advised not to sign up for the cruisetour to Denali Park and Mt. McKinley because it would be too foggy and we'd never see the mountain.

we arrived in Anchorage and stepped off the plane to 85 degree temp. We had dinner in a hotel with a revolving restaurant and binoculars on the deck. After eating, we wandered outside to see the view and my husband said to a passing waiter "what's that tall mountain in the distance?" Answer- you guessed it--- Mt. McKinley!!!!

so the moral of the story is.................... go when it's best for you. Weather always seems to be "unusual" wherever you are.

I lived in Alaska for three years and took a cruise while I was there, because, why not? Alaska is a moody place. You can have beautiful blue skies or you can have fog and rain. It doesn't really matter the time of year. It is always a crap shoot. The snow line may be a little higher in September, but you probably won't notice. It is amazing. Plan for rain and fog and then you won't be disappointed. Glacier Bay was the most spectacular day, I ever had in Alaska. I highly recommend a flight tour. They are phenomenal. And a whale tour. You may get lucky and see one while on ship, but going up next to them in a small boat will be an experience I will always remember. I was living in Alaska during the time and still got annoyed with the rain at times. However, I wouldn't trade the experience.

Archived