Jewel of the Seas - GS 1600 vs Forward GS

Geaux Fish

DW, DD and I are booked in a forward Grand Suite on the Jewel for an upcoming December sailing. I noticed that GS 1600 just came open, but the price has also gone up substantially since we booked. So my question for those that have stayed in both a regular GS and the Aft Corner 1600 GS on the Radiance Class Ships ..... Is GS 1600 worth an extra $1,366 :eek: for an 11-night cruise?!?! I'm leaning toward sticking with what we have but would like to hear your thoughts.

Oh, one more thing...if we do decide to switch, is it even possible now since we've already made final payment?

Thanks!

GS 1600 is not the same configuration as other GS cabins on Radiance class ships. Here is a link to some photos of GS 1600 on Brilliance, sister to Jewel Brilliance of the Seas GS 1...

And here are photos of a GS 1060 on Radiance, another sister to Jewel Radiance of the Seas Grand ...

Your forward GS would be the same room configuration as 1060.

DW, DD and I are booked in a forward Grand Suite on the Jewel for an upcoming December sailing. I noticed that GS 1600 just came open, but the price has also gone up substantially since we booked. So my question for those that have stayed in both a regular GS and the Aft Corner 1600 GS on the Radiance Class Ships ..... Is GS 1600 worth an extra $1,366 :eek: for an 11-night cruise?!?! I'm leaning toward sticking with what we have but would like to hear your thoughts.

Oh, one more thing...if we do decide to switch, is it even possible now since we've already made final payment?

Thanks!

Hi I stayed in GS 1600 on my recent JOS cruise - In my opinion it is a better cabin than "regular" GS's. We loved the differenct configuration & extra space (I though it was bigger than "regular" sized GS's) and the balconey was awesome (larger with cushioned lounge chairs and a table and chairs - plenty of room and some sun since not much overhang.)

The view is also better in the aft (at least I think so).

I can't say if it would be worth the extra money (if they would even charge you the extra since you are already booked in a GS) - that's a personel decision.

Geaux Fish:

If there are just the two of you in the GS, you have made the right choice.

In fact, I disagree with gemcam: the usable space in 1600 is LESS than other GS cabins. That is because it has an odd "entrance hall" that is part of its square footage, and then it loses some floor space because of the curve of the corner wall.

But for two, you would not have any problems with any of this, because the sofabed would never be open and you wouldn't have three people's "stuff" to store.

That balcony is FABULOUS, and you are going to have a fantastic cruise!

Congratulations on a good choice!

(why did you think that you'd have to pay more to switch?)

Geaux Fish:

If there are just the two of you in the GS, you have made the right choice.

In fact, I disagree with gemcam: the usable space in 1600 is LESS than other GS cabins. That is because it has an odd "entrance hall" that is part of its square footage, and then it loses some floor space because of the curve of the corner wall.

But for two, you would not have any problems with any of this, because the sofabed would never be open and you wouldn't have three people's "stuff" to store.

That balcony is FABULOUS, and you are going to have a fantastic cruise!

Congratulations on a good choice!

(why did you think that you'd have to pay more to switch?)

Hmm.. I think there are three of them ...DW, DD, and OP = 3 yes :confused:

MY DH and I were in 1600 on the 9-5-10 sailing and we had empty drawers and room left over. I overpacked as usual and we were still okay. Even if they have to organize, the location and the aft balcony were so amazing.

I just booked for next year and that cabin is already gone. I was so sad. We totally loved it!

Have fun, it is an awesome cabin!

GS 1600 is not the same configuration as other GS cabins on Radiance class ships. Here is a link to some photos of GS 1600 on Brilliance, sister to Jewel Brilliance of the Seas GS 1...

And here are photos of a GS 1060 on Radiance, another sister to Jewel Radiance of the Seas Grand ...

Your forward GS would be the same room configuration as 1060.

I remember somebody (think it was Ruth) said that the windows in a standard GS (like the forward one) were larger than we had in 1060.

I'm not a big fan of 1600. The balcony is nice, but it's smaller than either 1100 or 1602, both JS cabins. And I found it to be dark, since it's missing a set of floor to ceiling windows. But I'd take 1600 over one of the forward GS cabins. Jewel doesn't have GS1556, which is my favorite on Radiance & Brilliance. Nor does she have 1060, whcih I didn't like as well as 1600 but would still take over one of the forward cabins.

I remember somebody (think it was Ruth) said that the windows in a standard GS (like the forward one) were larger than we had in 1060.

I'm not a big fan of 1600. The balcony is nice, but it's smaller than either 1100 or 1602, both JS cabins. And I found it to be dark, since it's missing a set of floor to ceiling windows. But I'd take 1600 over one of the forward GS cabins. Jewel doesn't have GS1556, which is my favorite on Radiance & Brilliance. Nor does she have 1060, whcih I didn't like as well as 1600 but would still take over one of the forward cabins.

I agree, I was just in #1100 on the Jewel Baltics and it was great..:D

Thanks for all the advice. Since our DD is only 5, the sofabed will only be pulled out at night. Although 1600 may have less usable space, I guess we'll just have to make do and "tolerate" the aft view :). I am afraid that this trip will hurt my wallet for future cruising since this is not only our first Suite but our first Balcony! What have I done?!?!?!? :eek: I guess we'll just have to hope the DD gets lots of scholarships OR becomes a Princess like she thinks she already is :D.

Thanks for all the advice. Since our DD is only 5, the sofabed will only be pulled out at night. Although 1600 may have less usable space, I guess we'll just have to make do and "tolerate" the aft view :). I am afraid that this trip will hurt my wallet for future cruising since this is not only our first Suite but our first Balcony! What have I done?!?!?!? :eek:

1600 was my cruise roomie's first balcony as well. It was definitely an adjustment going back to a regular cabin for our transatlantic earlier this month.:p

Thanks for all the advice. Since our DD is only 5, the sofabed will only be pulled out at night. Although 1600 may have less usable space, I guess we'll just have to make do and "tolerate" the aft view :). I am afraid that this trip will hurt my wallet for future cruising since this is not only our first Suite but our first Balcony! What have I done?!?!?!? :eek: I guess we'll just have to hope the DD gets lots of scholarships OR becomes a Princess like she thinks she already is :D.

I can tell you firsthand you will become addicted to the aft and nothing else will do. We had 1600 on the Serenade the beginning of Sept this year for our first ever cruise (yeah, thought do the first one big and then go small and more often). So not happening. Between the perks with the GS, the cabin itself and the aft location, nothing else was good enough. So now we want to go next year and GS 1600 was gone for the week I wanted. I resigned myself to another suite (yes, now HAVE to have the perks) and booked yesterday with my first AND second choices gone. Well, anywhere on a ship is a great place to be. I did put us on waitlist and today I got bored and decided to see what cabins were left after sale and GS1600 showed available. I have been doing a happy dance ever since I called and locked it down for us!

I hope you like it half as much as we did......you will have an amazing week!!!

Archived