not sure what to do about drink packages

ronnie82

Hi,

I know the topic of drinks packages has been done to death, but I am in a bit of a bind. I like to enjoy a bottle of wine when I am on holiday in the evening. I am travelling with my Husband who does not drink and my two young children, who do not drink a lot of soft drinks (soda) they will only be 2 and 4 at time of cruise, I think this is too young to have a lot. We are also travelling with mother and father in law. They both like to drink with meals and are in a different cabin. Do you think the best option would be for me to just buy a selection of 6 bottles and for MIL and FIL to buy the x1 package - my husband is usually happy with just the odd soft drink and could prob just use the kids 10 drink card. If parents in law have the x1 package and we are at dinner together - is anyone going to kick up a fuss if they share with me, then they can drink some of my wine outside of meal times?

Thanks

Newbie :-)

Hi,

If parents in law have the x1 package and we are at dinner together - is anyone going to kick up a fuss if they share with me, then they can drink some of my wine outside of meal times?

Thanks

Newbie :-)

It was such actions as outlined above, that made Costa tighten up the regulations with regards to the X1 Package and so spolit it for everyone.

Now I think you will find that the X1 is not related to Cabins but to the cruise bookings, so if your DM and FIL are also on the same booking as your family then eveyone (including children) all have to have the X1.

Go with the wine and water package.

Ron

are you sure about kids being required to have the X1? i believe it is just the adults, since kids cannot have alcohol. the boys and girls card is not a good value if all they are going to have is sodas. if they get the non-alcoholic frozen drinks, it is a very good value.

sharing the x1 is a no-no. that is what led costa requiring the entire party on the same booking to purchase the x1.

i had the x1, back when i drank, while traveling solo. i explained the 1st night to my table of 8 while i couldn't share the wine (didn't want to appear stingy). several of them said thanks, and that they wished they and know about the package.

Sorry, I can't help you with the wine questions, but I did want to let you know about the Boys and Girls Card. It would be a good idea for your hubby for sodas, but I would also consider it for the kids for juices. Juice is available at the buffet for breakfast, but that is all. Their only choice throughout the day will be water. My 7 year old used her card to get "fruit punches" from the bar staff. It was a combination of a bunch of different fruit juices that the bartender mixed together - it was delicious! Hubby and I started drinking them on the third day or so, too. They were very pretty too- with the fruit and umbrella - just like a grown up drink.

232.jpg

I am not sure about kids needing to get the X1 package. I booked the X1 for myself and was happy to get it for the 5 year old. There are no others travelling with us. Costa advised me through my TA not to get the package for the 5 year old but to purchase the boys/ girls card on board. So, I have the X1 and he does not. I think sometimes the rules vary between countries and cruises. I booked in Australia and am cruising in Asia on the Romantica.

Hi - thanks for your replies, it really was never my intention to 'rip off' the system, but just could not work out how I would get value for money for my family - I think I will just get the wine package - my Hubby and kids just get the kids drink card and my in laws can get the x1 as they are booking separately. My girls will only be 4 and 2 and they do not drink a lot of soft drink or fruit juice so I think that will be fine.

Thanks

Archived