How stupid can you get? Throwing a deck chair overboard and posting video on youtube

Parents these days would deny it was their child and sue the cruise line for harassment.

Not these parents!

Growing up, our kids knew that if they ever did anything terribly wrong or illegal, they should go to the police themselves for protection from us. As a result, we raised two well-mannered, mature, self-confident, independent men who are doing well on their own.

A few years ago, my son and his young cousins were jumping up and down in tandem inside the Voyager's elevator. They musta' made quite a commotion rocking and jerking the elevator because suddenly it stopped operating. Somehow the boys relayed their predicament to an emergency operator (phone or intercom -- I am not sure). Then a loud male voice came out of the ceiling asking the boys if they had contributed to the malfunction with horseplay. After the lil' demons confessed, then viola, the elevator continued its journey. Sure enough, those kids were startled that there were cameras inside that elevator. They told us years later about this incident and how they behaved themselves thereafter carefully aboard the ship.

Wonder what cruiseline that was from?

Judging from the shape of the lights, the style of rail, and the color combo on the chair, it looks like one of Disney's ships.

Apparently perpitrated by large mouse droppings:rolleyes:

If that was my kid I would beat his butt till he couldn't sit down. Not to mention he would be grounded for life. No video games, no tv, no friends over. Act like a brainless twit and that's how your treated. I'm sorry if that's severe but I hate teenagers that think they can do anything. Their parents must be so proud.

You know, I am a teenager myself, and this is very stupid. First of all, it doesn't abide by RCCL's "Save the Waves" program. Also, I have seen teenagers do some stupid things before, including vandalize our neighborhood pool, and it just makes me very mad. Another quick thought is would they be doing it if they had to pay for the replacement chair? If they had to pay for it, I bet you anything that they would not do it.

Have a good day!

-Ian:)

Teens and young people have always and will probably continue to make poor choices that often have far reaching consequences. Due to the fact that they are immature, and their behavior supports that, does not excuse such behavior. Yes, the various television shows and internet publicity have managed to glorify these immature choices. Couple that with the adults in these youths' lives who want to be "friends' more than parents and totally unacceptable behaviors is the outcome. There is an attitude of "entitlement" that has invaded the thinking of adults, and they are rearing children with the same mindset.

All of that being said, in all likelihood, I do believe there are other parents out there doing their jobs by being the adult in the room, holding their kids accountable, and making sure they are doing their job as parents.

I hope there is a high level of accountability for this teen. This is a totally irresponsible act and there definitely needs to be far reaching consequences.

I myself am a teenager and I wouldn't dream of doing that. Part of that is because I was raised by parents who actually taught me how to behave, but the other part is that is just completely stupid. I don't know who in their right minds thought that was a good idea.

I surely hope whoever did that got kicked off of the ship. I myself am in my early teens and I would NEVER, EVER let that thought come across my mind. My parents have, so far, succeeded in keeping me well-behaved. I don't even think any of my friends would do such a thing, either.

Someone mentioned this earlier...but it's actually a possibility. (see below)

Not only could the chair have KILLED someone if it hit them on the way down, it's also pollution, violation of cruise line policy and depending on where they were, most likely illegal

With ALL OF THAT being said, a couple of years ago, (I believe it was a Princess ship) a passenger reported seeing something in the water from his balcony. The cruise line takes these things very seriously as we all know, muster was called, the ship stopped to send out searchers, other boats stopped and sent crew to search as well. Well, it turns out, it wasn't a person, but rather a cruise ship deck chair thrown from another ship at some point. This was not only a very scary experience for all of the passengers and crew, but also delayed the ship and caused a panic for many other ships as well.

As a father of teenagers, teenagers do stupid things, and I've come to accept that, but that doesn't mean there's no line. This goes far beyond any sort of realm of appropriate behavior I could imagine and I do hope that these boys were taught a lesson with the fullest extent of the law.

Archived