Clam Shells on HMC?

RayinIllinois

We will be on the Zuiderdam 3/12 and HMC 3/13. Besides reserving a horse back riding tour we rented a clam shell cover for the beach. How do they go about giving you, setting up, or positioning the clam shells? If you get there later are they gone? Are they for all day? If you leave them to go horse back riding are they misappropiated (er taken)?

I would advise getting to the island as soon as possible and get your clam shell number from the Shore Excursion Booth. The clam shells are assigned according to when you arrive on the island. You shouldn't have any problems claiming your clam shell while you are horse back riding. Just put a couple of towels on the loungers. And hang onto the slip with your number on it.

You can book your clamshell on HAL's web site - click on "For Booked Guests", Shore Excursions and go from there. They will charge your credit immediately, but if by chance the ship is not able to stop at HMC, your shipboard account will be credited with the $9.00.

I believe that as KK said, the earlier you get to the island the better chance you have of getting one of the better locations. Leave a book or something on the lounges to make sure no one decides that they will "occupy" while you are horseback riding. :)

I was wondering also can the clamshells be moved to where we want or are they all just lined up in a row and have to be where they are placed? Also, is the 9.00 charge per person or per clamshell? We are also going in May and are from Illinois so I am curious about this too. Thanks.

Renting a clamshell ahead of time means nothing unless you are one of the first (insert number of clamshells here) people to arrive on the island. If you don't get one, you will get a credit. If two ships are at HMC, the beach will be VERY crowded. If you can, get on an early tender, (not always possible) and go straight to the rental area.

Good luck.

Beth

The clamshells are arranged in a row at the top of the beach and are collapsed when you get there. Check in at the equipment rental shack and a steward will attach the spine that holds up the shell. I've never seen anyone fighting over one... your receipt will bear the shell number, so you can "claim" it when you return from activities if someone has moved in.

Candy <-- really enjoyed the WaveRunners

I was wondering also can the clamshells be moved to where we want or are they all just lined up in a row and have to be where they are placed? Also, is the 9.00 charge per person or per clamshell? We are also going in May and are from Illinois so I am curious about this too. Thanks.

I heard a little tip that if you bring a book, find a rock or something to prop up the back of the clam shell, it lets the breeze go thru and is much cooler, I have not tried it but sounds right :)

Ziggy7 ------------> really loves the turquoise cabana :)

We will be on the Zuiderdam 3/12 and HMC 3/13. Besides reserving a horse back riding tour we rented a clam shell cover for the beach. How do they go about giving you, setting up, or positioning the clam shells? If you get there later are they gone? Are they for all day? If you leave them to go horse back riding are they misappropiated (er taken)?

The Zuiderdam and the Volendam were at HMC together when we were there a few weeks ago. We tendered in around 0900, went to the rental shack to get our clamshells. Our vouchers that were in our room upon embarkation stated to claim them before 1100. We left our towels and an old shirt on the loungers while we did our 1100 horseback riding excursion. They were still there at 1300 when we returned.

Yes, they are for all day. The last tender for us was at 1500.

Have a great time. Enjoy the horseback ride but do not swim anywhere near the stables! Plenty of filly fertilizer along the beach.

Joni

The charge of nine dollars is for one clamshell that also includes 2 loungers so $9. for 2 pax.

Joni

Lest people be alarmed, the horseback riding activity in the water is done a long way down the beach and well away from the swimming area.

This is true but there were a few folks in the water by the stables and many pax were walking the length of the beach. Watch your step!

CanadianMag to answer your question, its a shaded covering like a umbrella type thing that you sit under on the beach with two chairs in it. Maybe someone else could describe it better than I can since I have only seen pictures of it. Do a search on clamshells and you will see a picture of it.:)

what is a clamshell??

We took the prop a rock up advice and it worked, the shell seemed cooler. We weren't given a choice per se, we just gave her our voucher and they gave us the next available. Probably easier for them but as it was our first time we had no idea what was good or bad re location. We actually enjoyed where they put us, nearer the restrooms, etc. We promptly left for our lagoon cruise and when we got back, our stuff was there but the seats were covered with sand. DH was convinced someone used them but I pointed out it was the wind coming through the back that made the sand appear on the chairs, as it was like a fine dust covering. Best $9 we ever spent, I would have been burnt to a crisp (and on Jan. 1!!) without it. And yes, we were one of the first off the ship and on shore. Get up a little earlier, HMC is worth every minute and I hate sitting on beaches as a rule! We ended up being one of the last to leave, and the captain that night said we sailed off late "because 500 of you didn't want to leave HMC!"

Archived