Sky Turnaround in Miami 9/27?

lindz0722

Sorry if there's already been a post on this, but I didn't see one as I scrolled through.

I was onboard the Majesty of the Seas in Miami on Monday 9/27 and the NCL Sky came into port just before we sailed away. On our way out of port, the Sky made a nice little 3-point turn and then followed us out into the ocean.

Was anybody onboard the Sky that day or have any idea what the turnaround was about? We were very curious!! :confused: :cool:

The sky always does a turn on Monday to turn around and face towards the ocean. On the Friday cruise the Sky is already facing towards the ocean. On Monday's cruise the Sky is in the opposite direction and always sails towards the city of Miami and turns at the port and heads out to sea.

I think it is the way the port of miami stacks the ships on Monday.

I think you are mistaken. The Sky probably did not come into port when you were leaving. It appeared the Sky came into port but it was just turning around. The sky would have been in port at 7 am on Monday.

I drive past the port of Miam every day. Every Monday the Sky is facing the other direction of other ships. I have also been on this cruise. The Sky turns around and follows out the Majesty on Mondays.

We did this on a ship in Miami once... I think it was Carnival Valor. The ships all do a 180 in the turning basin but mostly they do it early in the morning as they prepare to disembark. Sometimes they do it on the outbound trip.

We were surprised to arrive at the port of Miami and find our cruise ship pointed in the wrong direction. We sailed toward Miami and away from the sea and then did a 180 and sailed back by where we started and continued out to sea. It was a treat!

I was also on the Majesty for that sailing. The Sky sailed past us and entered the turning basin. As she was doing her turn, the Majesty pulled away from the dock and left port.

My guess is she may have been the last ship to arrive that morning and it was easier to just dock straight in.

Sometimes ships will do the turn upon arrival and sometimes at departure.

Either way, it's a great photo op.

I was on the sky on 9/27 when we did the 3 point turn 2x. Once when we left and once early Friday morning when we arrived. Our cabin was on the starboard side of the ship and we were facing Star Island on Monday (which ment that the front of the ship was facing downtown Miami and not the ocean) and facing the port on Friday (which ment that the front of the ship was facing the ocean).

Archived