Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MelissaE1

Question for UK cruisers from an American :)

Hi there, just had a question and thought this might be the place to find an answer. I have noticed while poking around here and there on the boards that there seems to be an attitude from some British folks about Americans who travel as loud, obnoxious, messy people with a huge sense of entitlement. Is this really the truth? When my family travels we leave our surroundings as we found them, although we might leave some things out in our hotel room in between. When renting an apartment for a week in France, we left it even cleaner than when we got there. We're at least as polite as the next guy. I certainly don't push to the front of the line or act like it's all about me all the time. And I can't imagine any of my traveling friends doing it, either. Although I am sure there are people who do (I've seen them!) it seems the exception rather than the rule.

I have an "adopted" English kid (21) who lives with our family and he said that's just how we are seen. (And as much as I love him, he's no neater or more polite than either of my biological kids! :D) Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why that stereotype exists. Are we Americans really that bad?

Hi there, just had a question and thought this might be the place to find an answer. I have noticed while poking around here and there on the boards that there seems to be an attitude from some British folks about Americans who travel as loud, obnoxious, messy people with a huge sense of entitlement. Is this really the truth? When my family travels we leave our surroundings as we found them, although we might leave some things out in our hotel room in between. When renting an apartment for a week in France, we left it even cleaner than when we got there. We're at least as polite as the next guy. I certainly don't push to the front of the line or act like it's all about me all the time. And I can't imagine any of my traveling friends doing it, either. Although I am sure there are people who do (I've seen them!) it seems the exception rather than the rule.

I have an "adopted" English kid (21) who lives with our family and he said that's just how we are seen. (And as much as I love him, he's no neater or more polite than either of my biological kids! :D) Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why that stereotype exists. Are we Americans really that bad?

Speaking for myself and DH we have yet to find any Americans who are loud, obnoxious, messy people with a huge sense of entitlement. Having been in the US 25 times (23 in Florida) in the past 18 years, cruising and land based holidays, we have never had any problems. Over the years we have made some really great American friends, two of which are now classed as our 'best friends'. :)

I'm sure there are loud, obnoxious, messy people with a huge sense of entitlement in lots of Countries, even my own. ;)

No chance, Melissa ;)

You can get Mr Google to tell you about the stereotypical American, without any of us putting our heads in the noose :D

But I would say that messy and obnoxious don't even fit most folks' idea of the stereotype.

Three things I have noticed about Americans, and they're not part of the accepted stereotype.

1. For obvious reasons this doesn't apply to seasoned cruisers, but my experience is that the average Joe lacks awareness about the world beyond his homeland. Americans that I've met outside the US tend to agree.

2. Again, just my own experience, but Americans that I know tend to see things in black-and-white. "Us good, them bad". The Middle-east is a classic example, but no, I won't get drawn into a political debate.:eek:

3. We Brits are supposed to be the polite ones. Words of thanks aren't completely unknown on British cruise forums, but helpful info posted on cc boards is almost always acknowledged by the OP.

OK - so I did put my head in the noose. :p

So its only fair that you should reciprocate with the stereotype englishman, don't you know, old girl.:)

But best avoid discussion of the stereotypical Scot, don't want to upset the moderator :D

John Bull

ps if you don't recognise my name, check me out on the 'net - I'm quite famous.

pps Elizanessie - this is hardly a cruise topic, more the sort of thing we'd talk about down at the pub. Worth moving the thread? Mine's a neat Woods rum.

I have always found all the americans I have met, whether on cruises or in the US, to be very polite and friendly. Actually, for sheer rudeness and unhelpfulness, I'm afraid to say that Brits can take some beating....

I have always found all the americans I have met, whether on cruises or in the US, to be very polite and friendly. Actually, for sheer rudeness and unhelpfulness, I'm afraid to say that Brits can take some beating....

I'm inclined to agree with your observations, I have not met that many Americans but the ones I have met I have found to be exceptionaly

polite and friendly almost to the point of being annoying. ;) :D

As Tom said, Brits take some beating when it comes to rudeness - only a minority though thankfully.

I have moved this thread to here as it isnt specific to cruising really but please guys dont make this into a them and us...cause most of my best friends are from over the pond :D

Soon I will be over the pond..and when I step off the plane..my face will light up and my feet start twitching as my mouth opens and I start my little song and dance...'Miami Miami I love Miami' :D My son always stays well behind or in front of me when getting off the plane in the US...I get the 'oh mum' look :p:D

To me every country has good and bad...thats what makes the world go round. Its what you do that counts. Respect :D

My experience has not been as the OP describes.

There are good/bad, polite/rude people everywhere.

My only tale regarding a "loud, obnoxious" American was on one of my cruises when I was sat at the bar 1 male American obviously decided he couldn't wait 10 seconds for the bar person to finish what they were doing, pushed 2 people to one side clicked his fingers several times at the waiter and said VERY loudly 'HEY, YOU - GET ME A SCOTCH". I have seen worse from Brits, Italians, French, Germans though. It is all down to 'sterotyping' and I think TV has to take a lot of the blame for it.

One thing I do notice though, and it applies mainly but not exclusivly, to Americans, is that when ordering drinks etc at a bar it seems more often than not they will say "I'll take a coke/sprite/water" and although said very politely there is very rarely a please, or a thankyou, to the person serving them. I am positive it is not meant in a 'rude' way, it just sounds odd to me. I often find myself muttering to myself 'please' when people order without saying it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. :) (And sorry for posting in the wrong place... oops.)

I really didn't mean for it to be a "them and us" thing (and don't think any of the answers were that way at all), it was more just from an interest point of view. I don't take it personally as I know when we travel we don't act that way. I was just wondering if there was a subset of Americans who DO for some reason, and thus the viewpoint.

We have lots of British friends as we host a soccer (football) camp every year and have "adopted" several young kids over the years. As I said, one lives with us currently, and another comes to visit every chance she gets. I personally don't see any difference between people from either side of the pond, at least taken on an individual basis. And good thing, too, or who would bring me Kinder Eggs and Milky Buttons? :D

1. For obvious reasons this doesn't apply to seasoned cruisers, but my experience is that the average Joe lacks awareness about the world beyond his homeland. Americans that I've met outside the US tend to agree.

I agree. I've thought about why this is, and I think a lot of it is the ease with which others can get from country to country, whereas here you can drive for 3,000 miles and still be in the same one! In a few years I will be taking my kids to England and plan on taking full advantage of the proximity of other countries that are a mere few hours away. I'm jealous! ;)

...its only fair that you should reciprocate with the stereotype englishman, don't you know, old girl.:)

But best avoid discussion of the stereotypical Scot, don't want to upset the moderator :D

LOL, I get plenty of that in with my English "kids." I do think it's funny though... when we get a mix at our camps, the English kids good naturedly tease the Scots and the Welsh ones something terrible! Not me, though... love that Scottish accent!

Hi Mellisa,

I really would not take any notice of silly people who post such rude comments.I love it when there are lots of Americans on my cruise-I know that the holiday will be fun;).

Taffygirl

Mellisa

Whoever these people are who say these things about Amercan Cruisers should book a Cruise on Independance of the Seas from Southampton. We did a couple of years ago and were appalled by the behavour of some of the Brits on on board at some ports whole families were thrown of the ship for drunken behaviour . We are looking forward to our Caribbean Cruise from NYC next month. We are British but have retired to Spain

Glyn

Generalising about a whole nation is never particularly helpful. As other posters have stated, there are good people and bad people and this isn't nation-related in my opinion.

I have found, however, whilst travelling in the US (in addition to a holiday home there we have very old friends and family from various states) that SOME Americans can be somewhat insular. I've been asked if dollars can be used in London and Paris, for example, and I could never quite understand what the 'World' series is about since it only relates to the US and Canada. But, as Melissa suggested, I think this is because the US is such a large, beautiful, diverse country and many Americans I know don't hold a passport as they have everything they need in their own country, and sometimes in their own State, so no inclination to travel.

I must profess, though, to a huge fondness for Americans. I love their generosity, both of spirit and of material things, their enthusiasm and their wonderful friendship. Someone (can't remember who it was, unfortunately) once wrote that Brits see Americans as their younger, slighly naughty cousins who we both love and are exasperated by in equal measures. Maybe there's something in that idea. Think we're more alike than not, though! Vive le difference!

One thing I do notice though, and it applies mainly but not exclusivly, to Americans, is that when ordering drinks etc at a bar it seems more often than not they will say "I'll take a coke/sprite/water" and although said very politely there is very rarely a please, or a thankyou, to the person serving them. I am positive it is not meant in a 'rude' way, it just sounds odd to me. I often find myself muttering to myself 'please' when people order without saying it.

I agree many Americans will order their beverages in this manner. I have worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years. And time and time again, I have heard bartenders in my restaurant ask patrons, "What will you have?[to drink]?" And the patron's response is (epsecially if ordering for himself and friends), "I'll have a coke, he'll take a Jack and coke, and she'll take a Crown and soda". It is a colloqialism; one that I think many learn from TV. But, I do think that even when ordering a beverage in this way, one could throw in a "please" and "thank you". I agree with you in that I do not think that they are trying to be rude; they are, perhaps, unaware that their manner is unpolished. It is yet another example of how informal American society has become. I am American, by the way.

Ummm- I've seen all that behaviour- and worse- in my small village, and none of it by the Americans who live and work here in the nuclear industry...quite the reverse!

What I notice mainly in Americans is a lack of cynicism, which I see as a national characteristic of many Brits; along with a pride in their nation....something which occurs here mainly when/if we've won something in football.

Jo.

I love the Americans I meet, they are refreshingly open and honest and friendly. Love 'em. I love how they are so polite and cheerful. I think the obnoxiousness tag might be because they are very confident people and are not afraid to say if something is not good. Good for them I say.:)

I have not met many Americans, I do not really travel abroad, in fact I am getting my first full passport at the age of 40!. Hopefully once I have it I can explore the world and meet people from 'across the pond'.

I must make a little point here about Johnny Depp (the man of my dreams). This week in answer to a little girls letter, just turned up at a London school dressed up as Captain Jack. For me that is a fantastic act of generosity from a very busy actor! If all the Americans I meet in the future are anything like that, I will truly adore Americans!

Vickie

From personal experience I've found American's very polite but don't travel very well..

One example I have was when I organised a trip to Paris with some friends parents over from the states.

We had a number of incidents where one of the American's in the group speaking to a French bus driver came out with "But we're American we don't speak your lingo" and then at lunch in Paris they wanted to go to that famous French restaurant McDonalds and had a go at the server for not offering their favourite meal they have in the states.

Yet when I've been over to the states apart from your miserable rude airport security staff everyone was very polite and helpful.

So I conclude it's just some American's don't travel well without their home comforts.

The six cruises I've done have been on nearly 100% British Pax so will be interesting to see how American cruisers are on my next two cruises.. :D

I've just returned from my first cruise on an American ship namely Celebrity's Constellation, probably more than half the guests were from the USA and everyone I spoke to was very friendly and open and a pleasure to talk to however in the main dining room just behind me were a party from I would guess from their accent Texas, they did speak very loudly, I would guess from their (loud) converstions they were quite wealthy and had a low opinion of anyone less wealthy. They were also one of the few who turned up on formal nights wearing sports shirts, not very nice people I think. I certainly wouldn't want to brand a whole nation on the basis of one negative experience but if you want to find really rude people on holiday and in my experience on hotel based holidays rather than cruises there have been few exceptions try the Russians.

From my experience American's are the best people to cruise with. They are fun, a trifle loud and everything that ticks my boxes in terms of holiday enjoyment.

I do believe that there is a feeling of entitlement, but I have never found it to be a problem, and in fact when I am crusing I always request that I share my table with Americans rather than Brits (I see enough of them during the year)/

Someone (can't remember who it was, unfortunately) once wrote that Brits see Americans as their younger, slighly naughty cousins who we both love and are exasperated by in equal measures. Maybe there's something in that idea. Think we're more alike than not, though! Vive le difference!

Haha, I like that sentiment for some reason. I am the oldest of my siblings and always had to be responsible. It's kind of fun to think of being younger and slightly naughty. :p

One example I have was when I organised a trip to Paris with some friends parents over from the states.

We had a number of incidents where one of the American's in the group speaking to a French bus driver came out with "But we're American we don't speak your lingo" and then at lunch in Paris they wanted to go to that famous French restaurant McDonalds and had a go at the server for not offering their favourite meal they have in the states.

This no doubt happens way more than it should. Personally I can't imagine going to Paris and eating in McDonald's. The food choices are so amazing.

I certainly don't expect everyone else to speak English, but I have seen Americans that do. When my mom, sister and I went to Paris we studied up, learned a little of the language, and did our best to communicate, albeit poorly, in French. We said "bonjour" upon entering and leaving a shop, as that is the accepted custom. I've always heard that both the French and Americans think the other culture rude. This was not my experience in general, and I'd go back in a heartbeat!

And I agree about the airport security here... there must be a screening question on the job application that says "Have you ever smiled or been friendly to anyone?" and if you tick "yes" they toss it immediately. :D

Thanks again for all the responses. :) It's very interesting. It's good to know that not everyone thinks we are all loud and obnoxious, even if we are slightly naughty, lol.

The Texans comment got me thinking... aside from other cultures having opinions of each other, we have opinions of regions within our own countries, don't we? I know here we think of certain states as certain stereotypes, and I've heard my English kids talking about "Scousers" and "Geordies" etc. I'm guessing that if you took away any accent and put us all together, a most times we'd be hard pressed to tell you where someone else was from. (But not always! :D)

Melissa....even accent is often just a matter of vowels. If you're in a play, you study the sound of vowels spoken by a S/N Brit, as you would with a Texan or NY-er. I can usually tell a Canadian, although the last one I guessed was from Devon in the UK....

Meal times is a give-away....not holding a knife and fork throughout the meal, but cutting, then swapping hands (and hopefully not putting the used knife on the tablecloth!) is the biggest clue.

The occasional use of a word- such as pants, which are always underwear in the UK, and my favourite, a f...y bag, for bum bag...if you look in a British dictionary, this word is described as "Taboo", and it actually shocked a street wise teen here when it was said by an American neighbour!!!:p

More similarities than differences, and it's only the same as a Scouser, Geordie or Glaswegian would get from the rest of the UK! :rolleyes:

Jo.

I see it from both sides.....

I'm Brit, married to an American.... living in USA.

In my part of the USA, people are much more friendly and polite than people in the UK...... I really notice it when we visit the UK.

Also.... US teenegers seem more respectful than UK teens.

I don't remember Brits being unfriendly whn I lived there..... it seems so different now!

I've done 2 transatlantic cruises too.... and I find Americans much nicer to share a table with.

I am afraid that you are right mamasue, the UK is becoming a very unpleasant place to visit and one is always left with an impression of loutishness an often present sense of menace in towns and cities. Courtesy here in Spain is almost a given, but no longer in my home country. I wonder if it is due to an ever growing sense of entitlement fostered by the welfare state.:(

Hey Melissa - would rather be with someone loud who knows how to have fun than someone loud who thinks they are having fun but are really just very, very embarrassing - and this from a non stereotypical Scot - no whisky, no fitba', no golf and no clue!