Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MelissaE1

Question for UK cruisers from an American :)

And I agree about the airport security here... there must be a screening question on the job application that says "Have you ever smiled or been friendly to anyone?" and if you tick "yes" they toss it immediately. :D

This had me ROFLOL. Also need to include US BPS agents/officers. Most I have encountered are unpleasant and it's embarrassing they are the first Americans visitors to the US encounter. On a recent return from Vancouver, Canada, the US BPS officer was very unwelcoming as he asked, "What's the purpose of your visit to the US?" It was so hard to keep a straight face as I responded [DUH!], I'm a citizen I live there. Needless to say he wasn't amused.

I wonder if this oft reported image of American travelers is nothing more that a perpetuated myth that has long outlived it's relevance. When I grew up in Europe shortly after the Second Great War, the term "ugly American" was very popular because, well, they had it all and were not shy about letting the rest of us poor schmucks know all about it.

Times have changed and other nations have long since assumed this mantle.

Every American I have met while cruising has been gracious, kind, caring, and sharing: everything, in fact, that we see as good and desirable in a cruise friend and what we expect from an ambassador for their great nation (says this mouse who lives next door to that elephant ;)).

Time, methinks, to let this myth die a natural death ..... right along with the myth of bad Carnival food.

My husband and I have been on many cruises and love to sit with americans who so obviously enjoy life and we are in contcat with all of them even those we met 20 years ago. I think our problem as Brits is we are not very good at coming forward and try not to draw attention to ourselves. We have now learnt on a cruise to go to a bar (sigh) turn to the person next to you and introduce yourself and hey you are off and running. There are good and bad in all nations and you only have to look at some of our fottball fans to see that, but on the whole we are all here to have fun.

Agree with the comment re 'please' and 'thank you' and always ask for a table of other nationalities so that we can learn about the differences in our lives. Here to 2 weeks time when we will be on a ship again and I can't wait. Cheers

Every American I have met while cruising has been gracious, kind, caring, and sharing: everything, in fact, that we see as good and desirable in a cruise friend and what we expect from an ambassador for their great nation (says this mouse who lives next door to that elephant ;)).

And here is my point, you've met the "enlightend ones" of our country. Glad to know that you have a good image of us. However, I used to live and study in Germany and I can mention a few scenes I encountered watching my fellow Americans where I was embarrassed by their behaviour. It really opened my eyes to the way some people expect to have 'everything' just like at home.

So, I imagine it all hinges on the person you meet and how they were raised. I was lucky enough to have a British mother, American father and an extended family that travelled and lived all over the place and made sure we got wanderlust just as much as they did.

Just one aside point, last time I was in London about 2 years ago, both my mother and I were really caught off guard by the way people no longer queue up calmly for the bus, it was almost a football scrum trying to get on and no order to it at all. I guess the days are gone when Londonites took a place in line and the line moved in that order. Oh well, manners are done for, I suppose. :eek:

My husband and I have been on many cruises and love to sit with americans who so obviously enjoy life and we are in contcat with all of them even those we met 20 years ago. I think our problem as Brits is we are not very good at coming forward and try not to draw attention to ourselves. We have now learnt on a cruise to go to a bar (sigh) turn to the person next to you and introduce yourself and hey you are off and running. There are good and bad in all nations and you only have to look at some of our fottball fans to see that, but on the whole we are all here to have fun.

Agree with the comment re 'please' and 'thank you' and always ask for a table of other nationalities so that we can learn about the differences in our lives. Here to 2 weeks time when we will be on a ship again and I can't wait. Cheers

We were on a stay/cruise in the Red Sea last winter, the first time we'd holidayed in a hotel for a long time. Being used to talking to anyone and everyone on a cruise ship, we naturally turned to people in the hotel bar that first night, and opened with something small- like where are you from etc....and were almost frozen out! We did eventually make contact with some people, but it was hard work!

Jo.

I know that feeling, jocap.

Several years ago we were at a Red Sea resort as well. I had a colleague at work who knew some arabic so I asked for the please/thank you/good morning words and greeted the servers at the buffet every morning. I got really great service! BUT, there were several Russians there (my Czech boyfriend told me they were Russians) who didn't belive in waiting in line for the made to order eggs and were practically throwing their plates at the guy. I just stood by as my eggs were being made having a great conversation in English with the 'chef' and getting a lot of dirty looks from the others as if I was holding up the line by chit chatting.

That was a strange experience, as I was the only American in the hotel that week. I did have a lot of fun though, and the Egyptians that I encountered were very friendly and very willing to talk if you took the time to ask them about themselves.

I think every country has a sterotype of every other country we're all as hypocritical as each other.

Sterotypical people do exist, but in the minority. They stick out though because they annoy people. I know what a sterotypical Brit is and they annoy me!

99% of the world's population are polite, courteous etc. the other 1% are sterotypes.

My 2 pence worth....

Sterotypical people do exist, but in the minority. They stick out though because they annoy people. I know what a sterotypical Brit is and they annoy me!

99% of the world's population are polite, courteous etc. the other 1% are sterotypes.

My 2 pence worth....

I agree 100%! But, in addition to what you said, I believe that the stereotypical people stick out also because they are memorable. I also believe that 99% of the world's population is polite and courteous; it's just that the 1% that are not are so vociferous (and, consequently, memorable) that they manage to persuade us to believe that there are more discourteous people out there than there actually are.

Generalising about a whole nation is never particularly helpful. As other posters have stated, there are good people and bad people and this isn't nation-related in my opinion.

I have found, however, whilst travelling in the US (in addition to a holiday home there we have very old friends and family from various states) that SOME Americans can be somewhat insular. I've been asked if dollars can be used in London and Paris, for example, and I could never quite understand what the 'World' series is about since it only relates to the US and Canada. But, as Melissa suggested, I think this is because the US is such a large, beautiful, diverse country and many Americans I know don't hold a passport as they have everything they need in their own country, and sometimes in their own State, so no inclination to travel.

I must profess, though, to a huge fondness for Americans. I love their generosity, both of spirit and of material things, their enthusiasm and their wonderful friendship. Someone (can't remember who it was, unfortunately) once wrote that Brits see Americans as their younger, slighly naughty cousins who we both love and are exasperated by in equal measures. Maybe there's something in that idea. Think we're more alike than not, though! Vive le difference!

err, vive LA difference !

And here is my point, you've met the "enlightend ones" of our country. Glad to know that you have a good image of us. However, I used to live and study in Germany and I can mention a few scenes I encountered watching my fellow Americans where I was embarrassed by their behaviour. It really opened my eyes to the way some people expect to have 'everything' just like at home.

So, I imagine it all hinges on the person you meet and how they were raised. I was lucky enough to have a British mother, American father and an extended family that travelled and lived all over the place and made sure we got wanderlust just as much as they did.

Just one aside point, last time I was in London about 2 years ago, both my mother and I were really caught off guard by the way people no longer queue up calmly for the bus, it was almost a football scrum trying to get on and no order to it at all. I guess the days are gone when Londonites took a place in line and the line moved in that order. Oh well, manners are done for, I suppose. :eek:

Glad to see you used the word queue which isn't in most American's vocabulary. why use one word when three, wait in line" will do ?:rolleyes:

BTW it's Londoners not Londonites, makes us sound to rebellious !

Hi there, just had a question and thought this might be the place to find an answer. I have noticed while poking around here and there on the boards that there seems to be an attitude from some British folks about Americans who travel as loud, obnoxious, messy people with a huge sense of entitlement. Is this really the truth? When my family travels we leave our surroundings as we found them, although we might leave some things out in our hotel room in between. When renting an apartment for a week in France, we left it even cleaner than when we got there. We're at least as polite as the next guy. I certainly don't push to the front of the line or act like it's all about me all the time. And I can't imagine any of my traveling friends doing it, either. Although I am sure there are people who do (I've seen them!) it seems the exception rather than the rule.

I have an "adopted" English kid (21) who lives with our family and he said that's just how we are seen. (And as much as I love him, he's no neater or more polite than either of my biological kids! :D) Just wondering if anyone had any insight as to why that stereotype exists. Are we Americans really that bad?

We have found that wherever we have travelled we have found loud and obnoxious people of all races/colors and creeds. But.... we have met some wonderful people who have enhanced every cruise we have done in some way or another, thru' their experiences, life and travels.

On too many occasions however, we have found our greatest fear has been being involved with other Australians en masse. We then become 'very British':):) I know if I ever hear "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oie Oie Oie" again I will be enjoying my next holiday at the Queen's pleasure.

Glad to see you used the word queue which isn't in most American's vocabulary. why use one word when three, wait in line" will do ?:rolleyes:

BTW it's Londoners not Londonites, makes us sound to rebellious !

and BTW as you are obviously particular about spelling and grammar it's 'too' rebellious. Not 'to'. Thanks for the correction on the french phrase!

I enjoy Americans and my favorite cruisers were on NCL when the vast majority of cruisers were Americans.

But Melissa , since you ask - many people remember when Europe was still in a depressed state after the war and Americans had dollars to flash about and sort of 'show off' in a money no object way. The fact that America gave so much military help and cash to Europe maybe made some of the Americans feel that they were 'superior'

From the forums I read I often see posts by Americans who seem to look down on Europeans . Phrases like 'their hygiene is not up to our standard' or "it might be good enough for a European" upset me. They also seem to use the phrase "Back home we .... " to show how much better things are in the US. Their feeling of superiority dominates their posts.

America has a high standard of living and , compared to many cities in Europe, everything is new. So it doesn't make sense to expect Rome or Venice to have all its buildings in the same condition as the buildings of Washington.

But in 2010 it doesn't make sense to split people into categories does it ?

All the Americans I've met have been charming and I enjoy their company. But apart from the cruises, most of my contact with them has been on Forums where they sometimes come across badly.

I enjoy Americans and my favorite cruisers were on NCL when the vast majority of cruisers were Americans.

But Melissa , since you ask - many people remember when Europe was still in a depressed state after the war and Americans had dollars to flash about and sort of 'show off' in a money no object way. The fact that America gave so much military help and cash to Europe maybe made some of the Americans feel that they were 'superior'

From the forums I read I often see posts by Americans who seem to look down on Europeans . Phrases like 'their hygiene is not up to our standard' or "it might be good enough for a European" upset me. They also seem to use the phrase "Back home we .... " to show how much better things are in the US. Their feeling of superiority dominates their posts.

America has a high standard of living and , compared to many cities in Europe, everything is new. So it doesn't make sense to expect Rome or Venice to have all its buildings in the same condition as the buildings of Washington.

All the Americans I've met have been charming and I enjoy their company. But apart from the cruises, most of my contact with them has been on Forums where they sometimes come across badly.

I agree with most of what you express here. But in no way can you generalise about American standards of living. By European standards many places are third world compared to the high standard of living enjoyed by many Europeans. Florida in particular is, in places, extremely run down and new doesn't always mean better! Give me ancient Rome over young Florida any day of the week!

I see where you are coming from, but......I would like to clarify a few points that you have made. Many in America have a high standard of living. Compared to Europe, more things may be "new", but an awful lot of those "new" things are not well care for. And so, do not look new. There are millions in this country that are living in sub-standard housing, do not know where their next meal is coming from, do not have indoor plumbing (in some rural areas), and there are way too many homeless people in this rich country (you only need to come to Ft. Lauderdale to board your cruiseship to see what I mean). I think that the "feeling of superiority" that you sense in posts may be due to the fact that the posts you are reading are likely written by Americans who actually are living well in suburban America where they do not see how the other half of their countrymen are living. They may be the people who avoid the "bad neighborhoods" at all costs when driving to work. So, they do not see. Also, have you been to Washington D.C.? All of the buildings where tourists go may be new(or look like new due to being well-maintained), but there are some very poor areas in our nation's capital that many citizens and tourist have never seen and/or are unaware of. Lastly, many of the posts you are reading are likely written by people who are unaware of their own ignorance.

I have done 9 cruises so far Most have been on American ships in the Caribbean and I love travelling with the Americans they have so much fun you end up having great fun also. The only time I have come across rude people was on a ship that was mostly British people on it.:(:(

Many Americans are sensible enough to live in the present, and look to the future, not be tied down by history. I think a lot of young Europeans and Middle East folk are the same.....not constantly blaming things on the war, or which conquering nation did this cruel thing to us last century, or even in 1066! :confused: I certainly feel a kind of happy aura around cruising Americans...same with Scandinavians....not into grumbling as a habit....!

Jo.