having a hard time

So I cant really decided and I am hoping that some of you can help me. My husband and I are planning on taking my brother and his wife on a cruise in May for our adults only trip, they have three boys and we have one. This will be their first cruise and our second. We previously were on Mariner of the seas in 08 for our honeymoon. I priced out both the Freedom and Oasis on the eastern, we would also like to get connecting rooms. As much as what I would like to go on oasis I feel like its just to much right now. I really don't even want to try and price out Carnival because we love RCCL . Does anyone have maybe a list of things that are included on Oasis and Freedom and what is not. We are also really big drinkers, I did get the alcohol list i believe in one of the posts on here so I don't think i need that unless they are really different, But does anyone have any information for St. Thomas and St. Maarten bars and tips. Sorry so long but thanks in advance for the help.

Carnival is a great cruise line also...I wouldn't rule them out..we cruise on all the lines..also you can buy a bottle of booze for your room for carnival and you can bring a bottle of wine on board for each adult.....we have been on 11 carnival cruises.....went on the dream in Jan and now will be on the rccl explorer this month.....kathie

I think the Freedom OTS is like the Mariner OTS, plus a Flowrider (and bigger). If you look at the deck plans, the Freedom is laid out like the Mariner. Oasis is totally different. Oasis has more free eating areas -- some free, some not. I assume drink prices are the same on both ships. The big thing to me is that you are expected to make advance reservations for shows on the Oasis. Right now that is a deal breaker for me. Others say it is no problem, but I still like the idea of just walking into the theater to see the shows. So, I vote Freedom. Plus, Freedom prices are better than the Oasis -- so more money for your drinks.

That is definitely the other deal breaker for me, I really don't want to have to make reservations everywhere I go but i will if I have to. They say its not bad during a non crowded time but I don't know how crowded May is.

Count me another vote for Freedom. I have never been on either, but am booked on Freedom in November. We watched the on-line video of Oasis and decided most of the new features are for kids [zip-line, carousel, etc.], and you said this is an "adults only" cruise. So, if I were in your position, I would go with Freedom this time and Oasis when I could take the kids.

As a post-adolescent, I would find only one thing interesting on Oasis; the on-board vegetation. I might get to watch a freaked-out bird that went to roost in a tree in Ft. Lauderdale and woke up 200 miles out to sea.:D Hmmm, maybe I'm not as "post-adolescent" as my years would indicate.:rolleyes:

Of course the Freedom OTS is out of Port Canaveral -- a little harder to get to I think than Ft. Lauderdale -- unless you are driving. Flying, you have to fly into Orlando and then take an hour shuttle bus to the port, I believe. Of course, you could always tack on a day or two at Disneyworld.

My husband would kill me if we spent two days at Disney since we just spent two weeks there in September. When we went on our honeymoon on the mariner when she was still in Port Canaveral we stayed at the raddsion at the port and loved it. And we will probably be driving down. The only thing I like about oasis is the different bars and such, I guess I will have to see.

Having been on the Mariner, I would be more likely to chose Freedom over Oasis due to the size of the ship and amount of people onboard. I think that there would be plenty of bars to chose from on either ship. Since you are doing an adult-only trip, I would recommend that you go earlier in May before schools are out for the summer.

A big factor in my decision making, is itinerary and price. With the Western Caribbean itinerary, you get an extra port (Grand Cayman) on the Freedom and with the Eastern Caribbean itinerary, you go to CocoCay on the Freedom instead of Nassau on the Oasis. I personally would go with the Freedom because it's cheaper. The money that you will save on your room, could be used to pay for drinks, excursions, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

Beth

Archived