SR 6111 on Destiny - Obstructed???

Roaminkath

Just had our room assigned. Our first cruise and we splurged for a balcony. I never knew that there was such a thing as an 'obstructed view'. I did a search on CC to see if anyone had comments about these kinds of balconies and one poster commented that you could not see the ocean. What's the point of a balcony if you can't see out???? We're not smokers and wanted the balcony to watch the ocean and the horizon. :(:( We are so disappointed. :(:(

This news totally took the wind out of our sails. Is there anything we can do about changing it either through our TA or through Carnival? We chose the cheaper rate and let them select the room but I had not idea that balconies could be obstructed. I feel like it was a bait/switch. My TA assured me that there was no such thing as a balcony with a bad view; the only reason we paid the extra money. Id almost rather opt for an ocean view at a cheaper rate. :-(

Am I over-reacting? This newbie could use some advice. OTOH, we're just happy to have a family vacation but I would rather have spent the $ on an excursion.

Don't be disappointed until you see the room. On our first cruise we had an obstructed view balcony and we enjoyed it. We couldn't look down at the water but as I am afraid of heights and it was my first cruise, I didn't want to look down anyway! LoL

We had beautiful horizon views and I felt extra safe because what obstructed my view was a life boat. Life boat outside of your balcony = quick escape in an emergency! LoL The life boat was set low so we barely saw it. We almost forgot that it was there.

If you really aren't comfortable with your room assignment, ask if Carnival could chose another room for you that does not have an obstructed view. The worst that they could say is No.

Just had our room assigned. Our first cruise and we splurged for a balcony. I never knew that there was such a thing as an 'obstructed view'. I did a search on CC to see if anyone had comments about these kinds of balconies and one poster commented that you could not see the ocean. What's the point of a balcony if you can't see out???? We're not smokers and wanted the balcony to watch the ocean and the horizon. :(:( We are so disappointed. :(:(

This news totally took the wind out of our sails. Is there anything we can do about changing it either through our TA or through Carnival? We chose the cheaper rate and let them select the room but I had not idea that balconies could be obstructed. I feel like it was a bait/switch. My TA assured me that there was no such thing as a balcony with a bad view; the only reason we paid the extra money. Id almost rather opt for an ocean view at a cheaper rate. :-(

Am I over-reacting? This newbie could use some advice. OTOH, we're just happy to have a family vacation but I would rather have spent the $ on an excursion.

You can call your TA -- but moving to an UNobstructed balcony, if any are available, will cost you more. You might try to switch to an unobstructed ocean view (they come "obstructed, too!). At least you'd have a clear view. That's why the rate is cheaper for the obstructed balcony. You could have a lifeboat hanging there, or posts, or any number of things. No bait and switch, though -- you wanted balcony+cheaper, and that's what you got.

Your TA is to blame here, telling you that there "was no such thing as a balcony with a bad view". You can see out, and may be able to look down to see the ocean, and the sun will set around the edges of whatever the obstruction is, but it won't be a clear view.

Next time, there are deck plans available on the site, where you can actually see where cabins are, and what might be hanging in front of them, if anything. And pick the specific cabin you want, make sure your TA marks it "no upgrade", and you'll get that specific cabin. Otherwise it's the luck of the draw, which you've found out. Sorry.

Is there anything we can do about changing it either through our TA or through Carnival?

I'm new to Carnival also, but with several other lines we've cruised if you book a Guarantee and don't like the assignmment you can request any other available cabin in that same category. I'd at least ask my TA to try. First though, go on the website and check which 8A cabins are available so you can make a specific request.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Looking at the deckplans the lifeboats are on deck 4 and you are on deck 6. There may be a partial obstruction down below but I don't see it as a big deal. Unless I'm not seeing something obvious I don't think you've got an obstruction at your level at all.

Am I missing something guys?:confused:

I'm not seeing exactly where somebody told you it was obstructed view. :confused: Who said it was?

6111 is not priced as obstructed view, and the deck plans do not indicate it as such.

Yes, because 6111 on the Destiny isn't an obstructed balcony.

Thanks for knowing what you're talking about! I went back to the Carnival site to find the deck plan to prove my point. ;) What I thought was an asterisk was a dot to mark the kind of beds. That will teach me to view a map on my tiny netbook.

My mind is now at ease and my family is no longer ticked at me for gambling on the room assignment. If we cruise again, I will definitely spend the extra $ on selecting our own cabin!

It's all good! :D:D:D

Looking at the deckplans the lifeboats are on deck 4 and you are on deck 6. There may be a partial obstruction down below but I don't see it as a big deal. Unless I'm not seeing something obvious I don't think you've got an obstruction at your level at all.

Am I missing something guys?:confused:

Nope!!!

Archived