The New Acropolis Museum -- my review

cruisemom42

Just an FYI, I went to the official site to get some detailed information and found this......

photography without flash IS allowed

http://www.namuseum.gr/contact-en.html

That website is for the National Archaeological Museum -- which is not the same as the Acropolis Museum. Photography without flash IS allowed at NAM, as stated. I took about 250 pictures there. ;)

The website for the Acropolis museum is the one I gave in a post above. I did a quick look but could not find into on photography on that site. However, I can assure you they were not allowing photography of any sort when I was there on October 3.

A wonderful review of the New Acropolis Museum. We too thoroughly enjoyed our visit (we had visited the Acropolis in the early morning and then spent the afternoon at the museum...a tiring but satisfying day.) But please don't forget to visit the National Archeological Museum too.....not as 'wowing' as the New Acropolis but some of the pieces there were incredible (the bronze Zeus and the horse and rider in particular)

Hmm, that's a tough one, because I saw the Acropolis first. So, to me, that's what seems more logical. However, if you don't know a lot about the history of the Acropolis or the buildings on it, perhaps it might be better to see the museum first.

I was a first time visitor this past Sept. and loved the museum.I agree that seeing the Acropolis first would be the way to go.I did see the Acropolis first and was enthralled with the whole experience.No matter which one you see first you will love the city of Athens and all it has to offer.Amazing is putting it mildly.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the museum 1st and thought that was a better way to go. As when you walked onto the Acropolis you knew what was original (only a few things) why certain replicas are not there ( greeks do not want to show what the Brits have).

It was a great museum, spent 3 hours inside with a private guide.

I am divided about sharing items to the B.M. How many of us are so lucking to go to Greece? I know I have never been to Egypt but have seen artifacts from the area. So having items all over lets others see the wonders of the world.

Our guide told us that the Karyrid that Elgin took is far better preserved, as he took sooner. So there is something to be said about him "saving" some of the artifacts. I just wish they could work together, instead of have a frieze with a missing leg, take it from the BM, in return they give Athens a piece to make a frieze whole.

• 2 weeks later...
I went to the museum 1st and thought that was a better way to go. As when you walked onto the Acropolis you knew what was original (only a few things) why certain replicas are not there ( greeks do not want to show what the Brits have).

We ended up doing the museum first also, only because there was a strike at the Acropolis and gates were closed until noon.

In retrospect it turned out for the best way...at least for us

• 2 years later...
I have to say I really enjoyed the city. I think perhaps it's more enjoyable to spend several days there (and thus get to enjoy the lovely evenings), than just to rush around seeing the sights in a day. Only explanation I can think of to explain why many seem to have a lukewarm reaction to this city.

Thanks for the great review. I have an opportunity to go back to Greece for a work related conference in May for a few days which I'm looking forward to after having just spent a day in port there. I would love to enjoy some pleasant evenings and see the Acropolis at dusk etc. I was wondering how to spend some of my free time... now I know :)

Thanks for the great review. I have an opportunity to go back to Greece for a work related conference in May for a few days which I'm looking forward to after having just spent a day in port there. I would love to enjoy some pleasant evenings and see the Acropolis at dusk etc. I was wondering how to spend some of my free time... now I know :)

Enjoy!

The really frustrating thing is that they do not allow photography, even without a flash. Otherwise I'd love to see what you could do with a camera in that museum.

SO, if you had to choose between the Acropolis Museum or the National Archaeological Museum..... Which one???

The link below leads to a very recent discussion of the same question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1793416

To summarize, it's not an easy question. The National Archaeological Museum has a much larger collection -- so it requires a bigger time commitment. Also it is less convenient to the other sites (Acropolis, Agora) that most people want to see.

The Acropolis Museum is beautiful in and of itself, but its collection deals only with the various layers of history of the Acropolis itself.

If you are as interested in ancient history/civilization/art as I am, I would recommend the NAM. Otherwise, I'd recommend the Acropolis Museum for people only in Athens for a day.

For anyone staying in Athens longer -- see both!

Archived