Do 20-30mph winds cause delays?

UpstateCruizer

On Flyertalk, a presumed pilot answered this question with:

"At our airline, operations are suspended when winds are above 50kts....(Also)

We have a maximum crosswind component of 30kts listed in the limitations section of our manual. We can never exceed that since it is a limitation. "

There are two elements of wind restriction in aviation, the aircraft's crosswind limitation which is generally around 30 knots or 35 mph straight across the runway and a ground movement restriction which is generally around 50 knots and relates to structural limitations on door opening and in some cases directional control!

In addition the headwind ((or negative tailwind) component is important for aircraft take off and landing performance. Blessed is he who has a heavy aircraft and a strong wind straight down the runway!

Thanks everyone that replied. I never gave winds much thought when anticipating a flight until my dh mentioned that we were supposed to get these winds tomorrow. I have no clue what type of winds are being called for and we all know how accurate the meterologists are with predictions. We are flying in 2 days early and it's a direct flight :)

Don't worry! Have a lovely trip and let those who are paid to deal with it, deal with it!

PS strong wind systems usually pass in a matter of hours, or am I taking a eurocentric view of things?

Bon Voyage

New salt

If you told us which airport and what time, we could give you a better idea.

Indeed; if you let us know which airport we can look up

a) The TAF (terminal area forecast) which gives anticipated wind speed/direction

b) the airport, to see in which direction the runway(s) point

You guys are scaring me.

They are calling for TORNADOS (in Arizona???-second time in 2 weeks) and 50-70 MPH gusts tonight and tomorrow in Phoenix (the end of the monsoon season). I am to fly to NYC tomorrow on my way to SA for the first of my yearly business trips.

I just looked at DH and said "we have no basement, where do we go???". The pool??? We have 4 Labradors as well as us to take care of. I am stacking water, the propane lanterns, the emergency radio and some food in the bathtub. Don't know where we will go if there is a tornado-the bathtub is FULL. There are no deep ravines out here-just flat desert.

Surprise, Surprise, I am actually going to try a JetBlue flight out of PHX to JFK. I won't fly US Air and wanted a nonstop to JFK. Should be a new experience. Wish my luck-I was caught in a windshear 15 years ago coming into DFW. What an experience.

You guys are scaring me.

They are calling for TORNADOS (in Arizona???-second time in 2 weeks) and 50-70 MPH gusts tonight and tomorrow in Phoenix (the end of the monsoon season). I am to fly to NYC tomorrow on my way to SA for the first of my yearly business trips.

I just looked at DH and said "we have no basement, where do we go???". The pool??? We have 4 Labradors as well as us to take care of. I am stacking water, the propane lanterns, the emergency radio and some food in the bathtub. Don't know where we will go if there is a tornado-the bathtub is FULL. There are no deep ravines out here-just flat desert.

Greatam, the bathtub in my guest bathroom is where I always head as I don't have a basement either, and it's the only room in my house with no exterior walls. Good luck!

Greatam, the bathtub in my guest bathroom is where I always head as I don't have a basement either, and it's the only room in my house with no exterior walls. Good luck!

You mean they even have houses in Arkansas that DON'T have basements???? LOL

What I wouldn't give for my old 1900's super sturdy built with oak framing Missouri farm house with the root cellar (not an actual basement) during these storms.

Thankfully, last night the storms were all on the east side of Phoenix traveling north. Sky Harbor was unaffected. Today, chance of thunderstorms and on and off clouds. High winds predicted ONLY if the thunderstorms materialize. Front moving north from Mexico.

Wish my bathrooms were not on outside walls. The one with the bathtub would be the safest place and that is where I stacked the food and water. But trying to get 4 Labradors and 2 adults in a normal size bathtub would be comical at a minimum. DH (the born and raised Iowegian) swears we should get in the pool unless it is lightening. HOPE I never have to take his advice.

Got to get the suitcases to the car. LOOONG drive to Sky Harbor.

Archived